Sign in to follow this  
robbo10

New MT-03

robbo10

Apparently the MT-03 has not sold as well as they had hoped. Hence the considerable improvements this time. 

Just do it! 

YZEtc

Hmmm.

It seems I just might be getting one of these bikes after all.

We'll see in February.

YZEtc

Update:

I bought a 2020 MT-03 today in the black color scheme.

I traded my 2020 CB300R back in toward the MT-03, and I'll be bringing it home sometime between tomorrow and Saturday.

Once I get a few rides on it, I'll post what I think of the bike and how it compares to the CB300R I rode for 704 miles.

• Like 3

DewMan
16 hours ago, YZEtc said:

Once I get a few rides on it, I'll post what I think of the bike and how it compares to the CB300R I rode for 704 miles.

Curiosity question. Why did you decide replace the CB300R after only 704 miles? 

• Like 2

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

YZEtc
7 hours ago, DewMan said:

Curiosity question. Why did you decide replace the CB300R after only 704 miles? 

The MT-03 was my first choice and the CB300R my second choice when I wanted to buy a new bike in October, but since the MT-03 was not yet available then, I bought the CB300R and planned on riding it for the whole 2020 season.

That is, until my local salesman, who sold me the CB300R, said that he'd take the CB300R back in trade toward the MT-03 when it came out.

• Thanks 1

YZEtc

Got a short 8 mile ride on the 2020 MT-03 this afternoon, just long enough to get a sample of the engine characteristics:

Good low-end torque, power comes on around 6,500 RPM, pulls well to at least 10,000 RPM which is as high as I've revved it so far.

• Like 1

robbo10

Did you like it, YZEtc?

Just do it! 

YZEtc
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, robbo10 said:

Did you like it, YZEtc?

Yes, I liked it right away.

I'm waiting to put some more miles on it, and then I'll write more details about it.

Edited by YZEtc
  • Like 2

Spatt
On 10/2/2019 at 6:03 PM, cornerslider said:

Just take my ALL my money...... I'm "was" planning on buying a Duke 390 for the street next year. If this comes to the USA, this changes everything. I will own one!!!!!

Unless it has electronic throttle control... it’d stick with the 390. Clutchless up and down shifts ftw

YZEtc

OK, I've put 80 miles on the bike since the past two days had good weather. Here's what I think so far:

Engine characteristics are just what I was looking for:
Performance between my 2015 FZ-07 and the 2020 CB300R I traded back in to get the MT-03.
Off-idle torque is surprisingly good and taking off from a stop is easy. From there to 7,000 RPM, there's enough oomph to leisurely ride to your heart's content in this range without fear of getting run over by other traffic. 7,000 RPM is where it gets into the powerband and power noticeably increases, revving strongly to 12,000 RPM. It's a fun little engine and surprisingly quick at times while being very friendly and easy to ride.
Vibration is minimal (practically speaking, I don't notice any while riding), the clutch works well and the transmission shifts well.
Transition from throttle off to throttle on is very good with no sudden application of power when opening the throttle, often called Throttle Snatch. This is something that I had heard was not so great, and I'm happy to report that it is very good, indeed.
No complaints.

The bike cuts up corners on back roads just fine, feeling light yet stable.
The tires are Dunlop GPR300 radials (not bias ply IRCs as some of the initial reports from a few months ago stated, thank God) and they work very well even though the temperatures are not yet summer-like. I imagine they'll be great when it gets a bit warmer.

Brakes are good.
The front is actually satisfactory to me, a relief since some of the reviews that have recently come out say it's crap, so I can't agree there. The stock front brake on my 2020 CB300R? Now, that was crap, although EBC HH pads made that pretty good.
I'll install EBC HH front pads on the MT-03, anyway, since I already brought some.
The rear brake is just fine and dandy.

Suspension is surprisingly good considering it's viewed as a budget bike or beginner bike.
Both ends take the bumps well and maintain traction, and so far, I haven't found anything to gripe about.
If you want to try suspension that will make you gripe, my 2007 Suzuki SV650 did that pretty well with forks that made you feel every square-edge bump and crack in the road, and the rear shock wasn't much better. Race Tech Emulators and an Ohlins did the trick for that bike.
There's a chance I'll buy an aftermarket rear shock for the MT-03 at some point, just because I'm an adult and I can do things like that.

The looks and styling of the bike is one area I feel is so-so.
It's not bad, but the CB300R definitely had much better styling to it. To me, the MT-03 reminds me of something from 1995, especially in the all-black color that I chose (didn't care for the fluorescent orange wheels on the other color choice).
One part of the MT03 styling I like is the LED headlight and two running lights. They look pretty sleek without being dumb, and I imagine at some point somebody will ask me where I bought the aftermarket headlight.
I haven't ridden the bike at night yet, so I can't comment on how the headlight works on shedding light in the darkness.

So, there you go so far.
If you want to know more,  just ask.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

bornagainbiker

How big are you and how does the bike fit you physically?

Give Respect To Get Respect   https://jgphotoart.pro/

YZEtc

I'm 5'5" and 150 pounds.

The bike fits me well, the seat is very comfortable, and the seat height is lower than some other bikes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

robbo10

Thank you, YZEtc. Very interesting write-up.  This could be my next move as I move down the bike weight league. But not yet. I like the styling but I have not seen one in the 'flesh'.  And I have quite taken to coloured wheels so orange would do me fine.  Glad to read that the seat is comfortable.  Well done. Enjoy!

Just do it! 

klx678

Is there a chance that the MT 03 rear wheel might fit the MT 07/XSR700?    I would like to fit a narrower rear tire, 140 or 160 flat track tread,  on my XSR and it was a thought.   Or any suggestion of a similar rear wheel in the width to suit the 140-160 wide tire that has been fitted on a Yamaha that may fit.  Just thinking at the moment.  

cornerslider
11 hours ago, klx678 said:

Is there a chance that the MT 03 rear wheel might fit the MT 07/XSR700?    I would like to fit a narrower rear tire, 140 or 160 flat track tread,  on my XSR and it was a thought.   Or any suggestion of a similar rear wheel in the width to suit the 140-160 wide tire that has been fitted on a Yamaha that may fit.  Just thinking at the moment.  

Not likely.... The axle is a smaller diameter on the MT-03.

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

klx678

Bummer.   It was an interesting thought.    I have wondered about doing the reverse of the rim widening process too, getting another wheel and having it narrowed to 4.50 or 4.25.  But again, just a thought at the moment.  If I had a couple grand I'd just buy a couple wheels.

Edited by klx678