The MT-07 Forum

New MT-03

robbo10

Referred to on here as coming to USA, Yamaha's European website, at least, is showing it. Some improvements over the existing model, with restyling.

2020-Yamaha-MT320-EU-Ice_Fluo-Action-001

The official product page of the MT-03. The page contains the technical specs, media for download and an overview of related accessories.

• Thanks 1

Just do it! 

Yamaha say: "Aggressive next-generation MT design". Suggests to me that the 07 will catch up before too long. 

Just do it! 

• Premium Member
cornerslider

Just take my ALL my money...... I'm "was" planning on buying a Duke 390 for the street next year. If this comes to the USA, this changes everything. I will own one!!!!!

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

• Premium Member

Very cool alternative to the R3 for the guys who wanna go naked. I know those USD forks will make some of us 07 folks jealous.

5 hours ago, Zeus said:

I'd love that headlight on my 07

That was the first thing I thought of. Then I saw they get inverted forks. Nice little package and great first bike. 

• Global Moderator

@KayDee

Instead of an r3 how would this work? 

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Im freaking in! Ive been wanting one of these since i discovered them a year ago. So glad they are bringing them here to the states. My 07 will be paid off pretty soon amd ive already been eyeing the R3 as a fun 2nd bike, but this is all the better!

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/2/2019 at 6:39 PM, sorkyah said:

@KayDee

Instead of an r3 how would this work? 

uh idk

i know nothing about bikes remember and only make decisions on looks for the time being

On 10/13/2019 at 3:59 PM, Mad said:

I was thinking the same 

+1 . I wanna see what thats gonna go for on EBAY. Its not hard to fab some brackets haha. That headlight looks SICK

• Like 1

As someone who's owned both an R3 and an MT07 (and an XSR900), I can tell you that the little yammy twin has absolutely nothing on the CP2. You'll save yourself about 12kg but that's it. Sure, it's a fun little bike but you're taking a significant performance hit for almost no other benefit.

If I wanted a mini bike to accompany my MT07 it would be the CB300R. That little beauty is 143kg wet and looks far better than than the MT03 (in my opinion).

• Premium Member

I ordered a MT-03 within 24 hours of it being released in the USA!!! Hoping for delivery sometime in February. I was a little concerned about the weight too.... Then, I remembered it is going to be my primary "STREET" bike. I've got my FZ-07 for track duty, and that's probably all it's gonna get used for from here on out. I don't commute on a bike, and live in the suburbs (not far from twistes). This bike should be a REALLY fun little hooligan machine!!!!

• Like 2

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

Awesome! Cant wait too see pics and hear your thoughts on it when you get it!

• Like 1

We should be able to drop into the 03 section on the new 'MT ALL' site to maybe see your reactions to your new bike.

• Like 1

Just do it! 

Yamaha have a new MT-125 on their UK website. It has the MT-03 style headlight. Surely only a matter of time before that is found on the 07?

2020-Yamaha-MT125-EU-Ice_Fluo-Action-001

The official product page of the MT-125. The page contains the technical specs, media for download and an overview of related accessories.

Just do it! 

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, robbo10 said:

Yamaha have a new MT-125 on their UK website. It has the MT-03 style headlight. Surely only a matter of time before that is found on the 07?

2020-Yamaha-MT125-EU-Ice_Fluo-Action-001

The official product page of the MT-125. The page contains the technical specs, media for download and an overview of related accessories.

Reading your post reminded me of a question I've always had about MC reviews. Regardless of how in depth the review is they almost never rate the headlight. Why is that?

Things that make you go "hmmm?" 

• Like 1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

"Things that make you go "hmmm?" "

Seems to me that they do not go into things that matter to us. For example, tallness and heaviness problems are: "... fine once you get going".  Snatchy throttles are: ...fine once you get used to them...".  Yeah, right. As to lights, maybe there have been no decent lights until LCDs so hardly worth a comment. Thanks be we have forums.

• Like 1

Just do it! 

I just did a comparison of the Honda CB300R and the MT-03 and although the Honda is significantly lighter, the Yamaha doesn't have the same 289 cc, it has extra ponies, 321 cc to pull it's weight and it's a twin rather than a single so it should have better top end power. 

Also...

Honda CB300R: 41mm telescopic fork; 5.1 inches of travel. 

Yamaha MT-03: inverted KYB fork with optimized spring and damping settings on the Yamaha.

I think either bike will be a fun bike for less serious fun in the twisties on public roads where the competition isn't so fierce.

• Like 2

Beemer

firstyammerha

keeping an eye out for the first comparison test of the new year. As of December 11th,I'm working my way down a list of 300-400 cc bikes. Just finished riding the Duke 390 and CB300R with a Kawasaki Z400 coming up as soon as the dealer can uncrate it. The dealer isn't sure when he will get the MT03. That would end my list of possible new wheels.

Edited by firstyammerha
update

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

If this bike was on the showroom this past October, I would have bought it instead of the 2020 CB300R I ended up buying.

I actually thought about a YZF-R3, which uses the same engine design as the MT-03, but I decided I'd had enough of bikes with full bodywork and the run-of-the-mill sportbike styling which actually seems a bit boring and passé to me these days. I'd rather not buy a bike that doesn't look good to me every time I look at it.

My plan at the moment is to spend the 2020 riding season on the CB300R, and then buy an MT-03 for 2021.