The MT-07 Forum

Click, click,click...

scat2me

1 hour ago, sansnombre said:

I'm a might intrigued on this one . . .

If it is absolutely not related to tire rotation (1 click = 1 rotation), it's very unlikely to be brake related, as, of course, they rotate at the same rate and that rules out bearings/hub as well, since MOST problems there will be periodic and timed with rotation of the wheel. And since braking has no affect on the sound, that also pulls breaks out of the likely culprit.

Big clues are that it does not happen during cruising and acceleration, but does under braking, but does not appear to be brake-related. And that it's been confirmed to be in the front wheel area, that pulls engine and sprockets out of the possibilities. Sounds like something related to brake dive . . .

My eyes perked up with the ABS comment, but no ABS, so that's out, but it's likely to be something similar.

Is the sound regular or spaced irregularly? Same exact sound or differing somewhat with each click?

How about something in the front suspension? Anyone familiar enough with the components there to think of a malfunction that might be the culprit? Related to brake dive and suspension squat.

Any sensors or relays in that area? Relays pop and click.

Curious on this one. How about some pictures? Maybe an eagle eye will see something.

Pictures wont help. As far as an eagle eye...I'm an inspector... its what I do for a living. I have isolated the sound to the left side of the front wheel as it rotates forward. Ill be taking apart the caliper this weekend.

take a flashlight and look UP inside the brake caliper, at the TOP, where the rotor passes thru...

mayhap you have a small rock stuck up there....

I would also inspect the rotor VERY carefully , as a rock could have possibly hit it, dinked it, and it may be hitting .... ??

Just curious.  Bike has 1800 miles, but you have already replaced brake pads (2mo/300mi old)?  That indicates a red flag to me that you should be focusing in on that area.  Why did you change pads?  Did you do it yourself or have a shop? etc.  Did the noise happen suddenly or perhaps you just started to notice?  Have you had the bike from mile zero or purchased used?

edit: sorry.  My page refreshed after posting and I now see that you are tearing down the caliper.  I suspect that you'll find the anomaly therein. 

Edited by Zephyr

Before I removed the calipers I put the Bike back up on the stand. I spun the front wheel forward and sprayed brake cleaner on the calipers. I then spun the wheel backwards and forward again. The click disappeared..... 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, scat2me said:

If you read all of my responses you will see that I have been able to isolate it to the front wheel left side. Nothing is flapping around and it is only while slowing down at low speeds

Yes, I read that and I had the break lines in mind. I'm thinking now that norcal616 may be onto something with the rock in the hub idea. GL, I hope you find what's wrong soon.

Beemer

Wait - the OP says that the ticking sound is NOT TIMED with wheel rotation. Since the rotor rotates the same as the wheel, any problem there WOULD be timed with the wheel speed.

Nearly everything else points to brakes or something in the tire, though, so think that might be incorrect, esp since he has changed pads.

As a check, put the old pads back in and see if the click goes away.

• Global Moderator

Wonder if it was just a pad getting hung up

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.