The MT-07 Forum

Click, click,click...

scat2me

I have been hearing a clicking sound recently as  I slow down and come to a stop. The sound is a click, click, click. As if there were something hitting with each rotation of the tires. It happens with or without the clutch engaged. I  set the bike on the center stand and spun both wheels. There is no sound and nothing hitting the wheels or tires. It happens in both 1st and second gear. It only happens as I am slowing down. Either downshifting or using the breaks.  It reminds me of when we would place playing cards between the spokes on a bicycle. The chain is clean and I cant figure out what it could be. Any ideas ?

• Premium Member

Check the chain rub block on the top of the swing arm. Mine had shifted over to the outside and the chain was rubbing on part of the swing arm. I noticed it most when backing off the throttle and slowing down.  

Ed

"Do not let this bad example influence you, follow only what is good" 

• Premium Member

check behind the countershaft sprocket cover for gunk as well. 🤞

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Global Moderator

Chain itself? Maybe a siezed link

Or a wheel bearing?

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Good ideas, above.

It would be a BIG clue if the timing of the sound is related to wheel rotation - 1 rotation = 1 click. This would really limit down your areas to look at. Same, if not.

Since you looked at stuff (rocks, nails) in tires, how about your brakes and rotors? Does the sound change at all when you are braking? Different tone or sound quality?

Does the sound not happen during cruising or acceleration? Only on slowing/braking? To me, that would point to the chain or something that is altered when brake dive and suspension squat/lift occurs and now changes the location of the clicking parts. You're certain this is happening?

Remember, on the stand, you might not hear it because of the suspension shift noted above.

Also, the 1st, 2nd gear comment is interesting. Are you saying it doesn't happen in any other gear? Try a clutch pull-in in 5th or 6th and drift/brake to a stop -  hearing the sound? If not, and you ARE hearing it in 1st and 2nd, that's a very interesting change, and probably not a good one.

When did it start? Did you just do something? Chain adjust, brake pad replacement, tire-swap?

Good luck.

• Like 1

I have not changed anything. The lick does correspond to the tire rotation. I haven't tried to see of it happens in 456th gears. It does not happen in cruising or acceleration. Braking doesn't change the sound.

I have isolated the click from the front wheel. Bearings are good. Wheel and tire are not hitting anything. Fender is clear It sound like its coming from the left side. I don't see anything and it only happens with a slow spin  

Two things happen when you slow down: the forks might push down; and the front tyre is pushed onto the road with extra weight on the bars.  Any clue there?  Are you sure there is nothing buried ( i.e. not easily seen) in the front tyre which reveals itself only with the extra pressure? (Clutching at straws here, but there is a reason...!)

PS   The brake disc turns at the same rate as the wheel (!), so.........?

Edited by robbo10

Just do it! 

5 minutes ago, scat2me said:

They are less then 2 months old... with 300 miles

We'll, I'd leave them in there then and look for something else. 😉 Pebble stuck in a caliper someplace maybe. 

• Premium Member

Might be front sprocket moving under load on road vs on a stand... Maybe you noticed the fuel injector noise when next to a barrier?? Front sprocket damping donut might be culprit if worn down enough if under load on road vs on stand..

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Premium Member

Might have a bearing with a flat spot... Rock in the wheel hub... 

• Like 1

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Is it something that wind at speed could possibly be causing? is there anything that might be flapping around a bit?

Did you turn the bike upside down and give it a good shake? 😉

Beemer

I'm a might intrigued on this one . . .

If it is absolutely not related to tire rotation (1 click = 1 rotation), it's very unlikely to be brake related, as, of course, they rotate at the same rate and that rules out bearings/hub as well, since MOST problems there will be periodic and timed with rotation of the wheel. And since braking has no affect on the sound, that also pulls breaks out of the likely culprit.

Big clues are that it does not happen during cruising and acceleration, but does under braking, but does not appear to be brake-related. And that it's been confirmed to be in the front wheel area, that pulls engine and sprockets out of the possibilities. Sounds like something related to brake dive . . .

My eyes perked up with the ABS comment, but no ABS, so that's out, but it's likely to be something similar.

Is the sound regular or spaced irregularly? Same exact sound or differing somewhat with each click?

How about something in the front suspension? Anyone familiar enough with the components there to think of a malfunction that might be the culprit? Related to brake dive and suspension squat.

Any sensors or relays in that area? Relays pop and click.

Curious on this one. How about some pictures? Maybe an eagle eye will see something.

2 hours ago, Beemer said:

Is it something that wind at speed could possibly be causing? is there anything that might be flapping around a bit?

Did you turn the bike upside down and give it a good shake? 😉

If you read all of my responses you will see that I have been able to isolate it to the front wheel left side. Nothing is flapping around and it is only while slowing down at low speeds