The MT-07 Forum

Hard Starting

scat2me

7 hours ago, minkster said:

It could be that your kill switch is wearing out.  Especially if you use it--you really aren't supposed to.  But if the kill switch was engaged, it would lead to exactly what you are describing, turning over but not starting.  So... start just using your key to turn on and off the bike and things will probably be ok.

I have to disagree. The engine cut of switch is there for exactly that purpose, to shut the engine off. It's on the handle bar so you can do so while maintaining full control of the motorcycle. Can you use the key to stop the engine? Certainly. Is it the safest way to shut of the engine? No, because you take one hand off the handlebar to reach up and turn the key.

Could the switch be wearing out? yes, it's a moving part. This is the first engine cut off switch I have seen designed in this manner.

2018 MT-07 - Mods: Shorty Levers, Radiator Guard, Puig Sport Windscreen,Air box  Snorkel Removed.

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, NRWhiteKnight said:

I have to disagree. The engine cut of switch is there for exactly that purpose, to shut the engine off. It's on the handle bar so you can do so while maintaining full control of the motorcycle. Can you use the key to stop the engine? Certainly. Is it the safest way to shut of the engine? No, because you take one hand off the handlebar to reach up and turn the key.

Could the switch be wearing out? yes, it's a moving part. This is the first engine cut off switch I have seen designed in this manner.

✌️

I'm curious how many of us use the kill switch vs the key. I've never gotten into the habit of using the kill switch. I've never felt the need. Taking one hand or the other off the handle bar while at a complete stop to turn the key to the off position has never felt unsafe to me. If I'm on an incline or in gear or both I still have a free hand to turn the key off by using left foot down, right foot on brake and left hand on clutch, if needed, leaving the right hand to turn the key.

I'm not saying either way is right/wrong.  Either method gets the job done. 👍

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

18 hours ago, scat2me said:

Bike started up today with no issues. Kill switch was in the on position. There was no sound whining or otherwise from the fuel pump. I have never heard any sounds from the pump and I have excellent hearing. The dash went through all the processes it always does. I have had the battery charger on for 2 days. Ill take the battery out this weekend and have it tested. Although I don't think the bike would have turned over if it was bad. Maybe it was a one time deal...  I hate like hell to pay the dealer $170.00 fir 15 minutes hooking up a sensor only to tell me that there is nothing wrong. There have never been any error messages on the dash and the bike never cuts out.

Still should be able to hear the pump prime for a few seconds right when you turn it on.  Either its not priming correctly or it is and you just don't notice. It kinda blends in with the gauge start processes sweep thing.  Could open the gas cap to really hear it.

Possibly the the kill switch is causing intermittent priming and starting problems because of worn internal contacts or just from build up. The kill switch could occasionally not switch to ON even though its in that position.

Ill mention again for reference the fuel pump will not prime with key on kill switch off, even though the gauges are lit up.   

As a test, with the key ON, switch the kill switch from OFF to ON without starting and listen for the fuel pump.  Do this a few times to see if the fuel pump is priming.  It should prime EVERY time you switch the kill switch ON with the key ON. If it does not your kill switch is bad.

• Global Moderator
1 hour ago, scat2me said:

I miss the kick start...

Do you really?

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Global Moderator
1 hour ago, scat2me said:

yes I do...

But why

Because I grew up with them and never had a problem.  It makes sense to have them as a back up if the starter has issues as well.  I also miss it when you say thank you and the response was " Your welcome"!  and not  "No problem"

I know i'm showing my age.....

• Global Moderator
19 hours ago, scat2me said:

Because I grew up with them and never had a problem.  It makes sense to have them as a back up if the starter has issues as well.  I also miss it when you say thank you and the response was " Your welcome"!  and not  "No problem"

I know i'm showing my age.....

funny thing is i actually use no problem alot..... 
and i dont remember where ore even when it started
i know i wasnt raised that way