The MT-07 Forum

Hard Starting

scat2me

I use my Bike about once or twice a week. Short runs. It has 17oo miles. I had some trouble starting it a few weeks ago and put in a new battery from Batteries plus. I've ridden it about 6 times since then. I don't keep it on a battery tender. Last night I brought it in and put the battery tender on and kept it on for 12 hours. I went out this morning and it started with no issues. I let it warm up and went to the local Lowes about 1 mile away. I was in the store for 20 minutes and when I came out the bike would not start. It turned over but wouldn't start. After 5 or 6 attempts I found 2 guys to help me push start it. Didn't work. I turned the key on and off again and tried to start it. It started right up. So the question is could it be the ignition switch or the battery ? Or something else ? The bike has an extended warranty but I am reluctant to go to the dealer.

1 hour ago, scat2me said:

I use my Bike about once or twice a week. Short runs. It has 17oo miles. I had some trouble starting it a few weeks ago and put in a new battery from Batteries plus. I've ridden it about 6 times since then. I don't keep it on a battery tender. Last night I brought it in and put the battery tender on and kept it on for 12 hours. I went out this morning and it started with no issues. I let it warm up and went to the local Lowes about 1 mile away. I was in the store for 20 minutes and when I came out the bike would not start. It turned over but wouldn't start. After 5 or 6 attempts I found 2 guys to help me push start it. Didn't work. I turned the key on and off again and tried to start it. It started right up. So the question is could it be the ignition switch or the battery ? Or something else ? The bike has an extended warranty but I am reluctant to go to the dealer.

Loose terminals?

It can be a number of things. You're going to have to use some process of elimination to pin it down. Start with the easiest things first.

Beemer

If it turns over but doesn't start, then I tend to think gas.  Do you hear the whine from the fuel pump when turning on the key?  Could their be water in the gas tank?

20 minutes ago, minkster said:

If it turns over but doesn't start, then I tend to think gas.  Do you hear the whine from the fuel pump when turning on the key?  Could their be water in the gas tank?

^ This.  Are you waiting for the fuel pump to prime?  Also, no spark while your cranking would indicate an electrical issue. 

Another idea, you said short trips, you may not be recharging the battery enough via the bikes stator.  And 12hrs on a battery tender won't do squat! Especially to an already low battery.

Edited by geophb

The gas is fine. No whining. The battery is new 2 months old. The bike started right up this morning. Its intermittent. The dealer wants $169.00 to diagnose it. They say if they find something that's under warranty they wont charge to diagnose. I just don't want to get stuck with a bike that wont start or pay for something I don't need.

So you don't hear the whine from the fuel pump when you turn on the key? You should hear about a 5 second whine as the pump primes,  If that is the case your fuel pump is not working every time. Maybe a loose connection.

Edited by Grant31781

37 minutes ago, scat2me said:

The only whine I hear is from my wife.  

🤣.

How do you start it?  Kill switch in run, then turn key on, then kill switch to crank position. Or key on kill switch off, then pull kill switch all the way through run to crank position in one motion.  Second way may not prime fuel pump correctly?  I never switch my kill switch off.

• Global Moderator

try using the key to turn the bike off, then on again.... if you dont hear the fuel pump running/whining then thats certainly an issue under warranty
dealer diag fees are bullshit ive had to deal with em time and time again

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

12 hours ago, scat2me said:

Sorry, Bubba, but with your description your guess at what might be the cause of it is as good as mine. Maybe it has some sort of parasitic drain??? A short in a wire??? 

Beemer

Tested my bike last night. My fuel pump does NOT prime with key on, kill switch off.  

Try started your bike the other way, hopefully that's all it is. 👍

My kill switch is always in the run position. So when I turn the key on the pump primes. I wait for it to prime before starting the engine.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Probably didn't turn key enough... 

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Check all your vacuum lines, too. Awhile back, I pulled the MAP sensor line to see if the ECU looks at that for crank position when cranking, and it would start about every other time like you described at Lowe's. Seems like the ECU does a guess-and-check for TDC when it doesn't have a strong MAP pulse. 

just don't turn the "Kill Switch"  off...you do not need to and it just wears out another electrical POS....

turn the bike off with the key....when starting, turn key on, wait for display to stop running thru the

POST,  (Power On, Self Test),  routines then start......and you SHOULD hear the fuel pump priming....

if it still does it once in a while, check all the electrical connections at the battery,

and the fuel pump....something is loose

Bike started up today with no issues. Kill switch was in the on position. There was no sound whining or otherwise from the fuel pump. I have never heard any sounds from the pump and I have excellent hearing. The dash went through all the processes it always does. I have had the battery charger on for 2 days. Ill take the battery out this weekend and have it tested. Although I don't think the bike would have turned over if it was bad. Maybe it was a one time deal...  I hate like hell to pay the dealer $170.00 fir 15 minutes hooking up a sensor only to tell me that there is nothing wrong. There have never been any error messages on the dash and the bike never cuts out.

It could be that your kill switch is wearing out.  Especially if you use it--you really aren't supposed to.  But if the kill switch was engaged, it would lead to exactly what you are describing, turning over but not starting.  So... start just using your key to turn on and off the bike and things will probably be ok.