The MT-07 Forum

Mirror stems are all loose and constantly folding in during bumps and highway speed.......

eMpTy-Oh7

Hi All,

The mirror stems on both sides have gotten looser and it's constantly folding in during bumps or highway speed.  I've read on the forum that you tighten left side in RED clockwise and the side in GREEN counter clockwise.  I am starting off with the red side but that hex stem is already tight so I can't seem to twist it anymore (if I continue it will probably break off).  I must be doing something wrong.  I am suppose to use a wrench on the RED and GREEN to tighten the stem right?

Thanks in advance.......

2019-09-15 21_37_44-Photo - Google Photos.jpg

On the top of the stem, above the area's you circled is a cap. Pop off the cap and take a thin walled 10mm socket ( I used a 1/4" drive socket, deep well I think, six point). One of them is reverse thread, I think it is the left side. If a deep well is too thick, try a standard 1/4" drive 10mm.

2018 MT-07 - Mods: Shorty Levers, Radiator Guard, Puig Sport Windscreen,Air box  Snorkel Removed.

Might need a different brand of socket. Some sockets are thicker than others, even the thin ones. I used a Craftsman socket. If a shallow well socket does not work, try a deep well socket, and vice versa.

2018 MT-07 - Mods: Shorty Levers, Radiator Guard, Puig Sport Windscreen,Air box  Snorkel Removed.

16 hours ago, NRWhiteKnight said:

On the top of the stem, above the area's you circled is a cap. Pop off the cap and take a thin walled 10mm socket ( I used a 1/4" drive socket, deep well I think, six point). One of them is reverse thread, I think it is the left side. If a deep well is too thick, try a standard 1/4" drive 10mm.

Yes, I popped open the cap.  I have a few socket set and none of them fits.  Must not be "thin" enough??? So which is reverse thread? red or green? Can someone recommend one that works?

@eMpTy-Oh7If I remember correctly, the once circled in red in the picture is the on that is reverse.

Release the nuts you cirkled
Loosen the mirrors by turning the whole mirror until there's a gap where you see the tread.
Screw the locking nuts all the way up to the mirror stem
Screw the mirrors back down to the last lap in correct position without being tight
Lock by screwing the locknuts down 

That should do it

56 minutes ago, bugeyes said:

Release the nuts you cirkled
Loosen the mirrors by turning the whole mirror until there's a gap where you see the tread.
Screw the locking nuts all the way up to the mirror stem
Screw the mirrors back down to the last lap in correct position without being tight
Lock by screwing the locknuts down 

That should do it

Pretty sure I did something similar like that but didn't seem to work.  Tried many 10mm sockets even thin ones and it doesn't fit on the top cap.  Ended up putting blue loctite on the thread but not sure if that helps (probably not) as once I swivel the mirror then it'll probably be loose again.

I feel like the bottom of the stem thread is not moving anymore.  It's the top nut that is not holding it tight while it spin I think.  

26 minutes ago, eMpTy-Oh7 said:

Pretty sure I did something similar like that but didn't seem to work.  Tried many 10mm sockets even thin ones and it doesn't fit on the top cap.  Ended up putting blue loctite on the thread but not sure if that helps (probably not) as once I swivel the mirror then it'll probably be loose again.

I feel like the bottom of the stem thread is not moving anymore.  It's the top nut that is not holding it tight while it spin I think.  

Is that a nut or a bolthead?

It's shoudn't turn in there

1 hour ago, bugeyes said:

Is that a nut or a bolthead?

It's shoudn't turn in there

I am referring to the nut on the top of the stem where you have to take the cap off to get to it.  I think that nut is not screwed down tight enough??? Unfortunately I can't get to it with my sockets.

On 9/18/2019 at 4:26 PM, eMpTy-Oh7 said:

I am referring to the nut on the top of the stem where you have to take the cap off to get to it.  I think that nut is not screwed down tight enough??? Unfortunately I can't get to it with my sockets.

OK, I've never had any reason to touch that one

On 9/17/2019 at 8:21 PM, robbo10 said:

I have a vague recollection that you can screw them tight from the other end. Or am I kidding myself?

I have never had a suitable spanner (wrench) for that top nut, but I have had loose mirrors. I am sure it is worth taking it off and looking the other end. I would have use a screwdriver to keep the nut from turning and tightened it all from underneath. 

Just do it! 

bartman5impson
On 9/20/2019 at 8:57 AM, NikitaUCLA said:

I hate the amount of effort I had to go through just to tighten the mirrors on the 07. :)

Just use an adjustable wrench. No need for a socket.

On 9/16/2019 at 4:44 AM, NRWhiteKnight said:

what brand of socket did you use ?

4 hours ago, scat2me said:

what brand of socket did you use ?

I think I used a Craftsman, but it could have been a Stanley.