The MT-07 Forum

Oil change needed for some 50 miles?

yamahazaki

I changed my oil last Oct.  If I were to make a guess I only put in 50 miles since then.  Honestly it might be less.  Should I change it anyway before the winter?  Have been doing nothing but home reno since buying a house last year, barely have time to do anything.

What say you?  

I tend to store anything with old, full fluids in the winter then add fresh stuff in the spring. Just do an oil change before you bring it out of storage. 

That being said, oil changes don't get simpler than they do with this bike, especially compared to cars. If it keeps you up at night, just change it. No sense in changing the filter either way though. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

it's WAY more important, (in my opinion), to start the engine and warm it up at LEAST once a month than

it is to change oil at any specified TIME interval....if it had some miles on it, sure....in your case no,  just start it

and run it periodically.....

2 minutes ago, bugsinteeth said:

it's WAY more important, (in my opinion), to start the engine and warm it up at LEAST once a month than

it is to change oil at any specified TIME interval....if it had some miles on it, sure....in your case no,  just start it

and run it periodically.....

Curious as to why it needs to be warmed? Mine sits cold all winter and was told that starting in sub freezing temps is no bueno

I like to have the engine warmed up, and the oil actually circulated thru the engine often.....keeps the whole inside of the engine coated with oil, cams, all the gears in the trans that are out of the oil, etc...just good practice....in the olden days, it kept a bit pf gas run thru the carbs, and helped keep them from plugging up too....old habits....still do it with my lawnmower, chain saw, generator ....any small motor that doesn't get run much....

it doesn't get very cold here, so having to start it with it REAL cold doesn't apply. very seldom gets down to 30*  F.

easy...once a month go start EVERYTHING    LOL

Edited by bugsinteeth