The MT-07 Forum

Wireless charger ram mount

Mad

Is quite a long time since the last time I wrote on this forum , but I still love this bike !

So, after I bought a 3d printer and experiment with electronic I decided to build a wireless charger small enough to be mounted  on the ram mount ,

I will remove the sticker on the ram and gain a couple of mm that way .

I will separate the coil and the board ( a wireless charger needs both ) and put the coil in a one piece 3d printed enclosure , so , I will make it as small and compact as possible 

The board will recive a similar treatment and be hidden near the auxiliary port on the left side , where I'll connect the system.

I designed and tested "normal" wireless charger enclosure to make sure that this project will work! (that charger is in the photo )

Now.. I'm waiting for the new and smaller charger from china so.. I hope my idea will be useful to someone and I will continue this project when the piece will arrive 😅

IMG_20190911_023108_569.jpg

I'm pretty dumb when it comes to wireless charging, but can you use your phone and charge at the same time just as you would with a cord charger?  Also would the smaller charger charge a lot slower?  Great idea, but I wonder if the wireless tech is there yet.  Looking forward to see how this turns out.

wireless charging is just like normal charging, just a little slower , there is no problem in charging and using the phone.

the real question is .. will it charge fast enough to add power to the battery even if I use the gps and I have the screen at max lighting? 😂 

this is something I need to see 

the smaller charger has a thick on his sleeve, is just like the bigger one in the photo , but the board is not a ring all around the coil , but a separate unit .

the components are the same but is just organized in another way 

• 3 weeks later...

59CADBD7-3D66-4AA9-90B8-48E347D399F8.thumb.jpeg.820b066d74aa98292fedf3c3580f0def.jpegboard here , next week l’ll have same free time to tinker 

The coil is just 44 mm wide , may be able to to make the case just few mm larger than 5 cm 

• Like 1

I have an SP wireless mount on my bike and it'll slowly lose battery if the screen is on bright and gps is running.  Works fine for short trips or only using bluetooth for my Sena but anything over 4+ hours will require me to use a normal cord in the charging port on the phone.

• Like 2

I’m quite sure that will be the same .

But I always put my phone on the ram mount , even if it is with the screen off and to me just the possibility to slow the battery draining ,without fiddling with a cord , Is fantastic.

and all the material will cost me 5/6 euros , at that price is worth the try Just as an excuse to play with the bike 😂

• Global Moderator

How did you line up the board and wire in the print like that?

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

I programmed a pause in the file (Gcode) at the right layer the printer head moves out of the way , you put the board and make it continue printing .

the only hard part is designing a part with the correct dimensions and programming a stop at the right layer , the rest is easy

• Like 1

• Global Moderator

Yeah, layer would be a challenge

I need to work on that

Just tested this charging board .

70% to 71% in just one hour 

the most impressive sh*t I have ever seen 

7,5w my Bass

plan b , new board, 10w , with my phone i can just charge at 7,5w but at least now I will charge at full speed .

My original plan was this :

12v aux -> USB port -> usb cable -> charging board 

I must admit that was a plan as good as the first board ..

New plan : 12v aux -> 12v to 9v converter

->  charging board 

I will solder the converter directly to the board .

the coil on the ram mount will be inside a 3d printed petg case and the only hole needed for the cables will be filled with epoxy . The board will have the same faith , the converter is already waterproof and the connector for the aux port is sealed too. 

And of course now I’ll wait for the new board 

• Global Moderator

Not sure what phone you have, I've measured the power consumption for my Pixel 2XL with full screen brightness, gps, and a ride share app running was nearly 13w (2.4a @5v output from the charger measured using an amp clamp on the charging cable) 

Edited by sorkyah

Theoretically you should be able to have a really slow battery drainage  on a 10w (5v 2A ) wireless charger , like 75% slower on top battery usage 

hoping that my iPhone 8 have a similar ratio between the 7,5w charging it can have and the real energy consumption ( maybe my smaller screen means something like 10 w instead of your 12w )

I’m not 100% accurate but let’s say that using a wireless charger gives you 50% more time on peak usage , that means that  if you can use the gps for 4 hours now you can use it for 8 

may be interesting if we think that this will not add any complication .

with or without the charger I will put the  phone in the ram mount , using the aux plug the system will be plug & play and with the benefit of the fuse and activated by the ignition 

• 3 months later...