Sign in to follow this  
Wintersdark

Chain and sprockets source for 520 conversion

Wintersdark

I'm looking to convert to a 520 chain as my current chain is done and I want to swap out sprockets as well.  What's the best way to source those parts?  Common web stores tend to "well, the MT07 uses a 525 chain, and these are the appropriate parts" which isn't very helpful.  

I'm Canadian, so hopefully there's a good shop that I can just specify the bike, desired pitch, and tooth counts and they can hook me up.  Or is this more esoteric than that?

Thanks for any help!

bugsinteeth

try here :

6554b6be8c0d829a8bf63ae0c82cf121_link.pn 520 Conversion Kit - SUPERLITE RS7 Steel Sprocket Set with Choice of Chain - YAMAHA FZ-07 / MT-07 - FZ-07 / MT-07 2015-2019 - Yamaha - STREET

<h4>YAMAHA FZ-07 / MT-07 520 Conversion Kit - Steel Sprockets with Choice of Chain</h4>This 520 conversion kit for the FZ07 /...

they give you a choice of different chain to suit you're pocketbook - fancy....

also:
these guys also have a "Kit" available I believe...... probably a bit better sprockets....

I am also figuring on changing to 520....as the stock chain is junk

Edited by bugsinteeth

mossrider

As far Canadian, Motostarz is good outta Vancouver,

46ca9b8f61309773b71ca54dc60b8373_600x600

Aftermarket Performance Upgrade, Parts & Accessories for Yamaha MT-07 / FZ-07 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 at Motostarz.com

Or this is one of the best for chain and sprockets, 

Shop the best selection of Motorcycle Chain & Sprocket kits at SprocketCenter.com. OEM & Custom gearing options available for all makes & models.

And of course Revzilla and STG are always good.

Wintersdark

Sprocket center is great, but shipping is murder - $50usd/$65cdn. 

I can buy parts individually via fortnine, but how can I tell which 520 sprockets will fit?  Do R6 sprockets have the same mounts?  Not sure how to tell.  Will check motostarz.

Wintersdark

For clarity: if there's a bike that has 520 sprockets and the same mounting as the FZ07, then I can use that bike in parts finders to find appropriate sprockets.  My experience thus far has been that I can save upwards of $100 buying the chain and sprockets separately.

sorkyah
On 9/10/2019 at 7:09 PM, Wintersdark said:

For clarity: if there's a bike that has 520 sprockets and the same mounting as the FZ07, then I can use that bike in parts finders to find appropriate sprockets.  My experience thus far has been that I can save upwards of $100 buying the chain and sprockets separately.

I believe the front sprocket is the same as some earlier r6 models, not 100% on that

Rear I'm not sure what fits

I purchased my sprockets/chain through @bellissimoto

• Like 1

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

topazsparrow
On 9/10/2019 at 6:37 PM, Wintersdark said:

Sprocket center is great, but shipping is murder - $50usd/$65cdn. 

I can buy parts individually via fortnine, but how can I tell which 520 sprockets will fit?  Do R6 sprockets have the same mounts?  Not sure how to tell.  Will check motostarz.

Just go based off part numbers from other sites that say it fits. I'm pretty sure that's what I did when I did the conversion.

I'll check my order if I can.

topazsparrow

Nevermind, I bought it from Sprocket Center:

image.png.71a703f8c3d8b1d902a387a95fe3b6b5.png

• Thanks 1

Wintersdark
On 9/10/2019 at 8:50 PM, bugsinteeth said:

try the second one I posted WintersDark...."SuperSprox"    best prices I've found so far....

and you CAN buy the parts individually....

https://www.supersproxusa.com/products.php?cat=11255161

Well, checked supersprox.  Prices end up comparable to Sprocket City, but fewer options.  Still really expensive USD shipping whereas Canadian based sellers will ship for free.  Paying $40+usd for shipping is pretty rough when Canadian sellers will ship for free.  

Sadly, we don't seem to have any sellers with reasonably priced conveniently customizable kits.

bugsinteeth

ahhhh, I see....mebbe try Amazon ?  I've had very good luck there....

topazsparrow
15 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

Well, checked supersprox.  Prices end up comparable to Sprocket City, but fewer options.  Still really expensive USD shipping whereas Canadian based sellers will ship for free.  Paying $40+usd for shipping is pretty rough when Canadian sellers will ship for free.  

Sadly, we don't seem to have any sellers with reasonably priced conveniently customizable kits.

It's the Canadian way! Lower quality shet for twice the price.

Consumer parts are not even the worst of it. If you've ever wanted to build things around your house or do some reno's... the complete trash they sell at Home Hardware and Rona is a crime. Extremely limited selection, terrible chinese manufactured nonsense and it's all twice the cost of what it is in american hardware stores.

Even simple shet like screws and hinges... you get one or two brands and they're meh at best. Fasteners? Good luck!

/rant

Wintersdark
58 minutes ago, topazsparrow said:

It's the Canadian way! Lower quality shet for twice the price.

Consumer parts are not even the worst of it. If you've ever wanted to build things around your house or do some reno's... the complete trash they sell at Home Hardware and Rona is a crime. Extremely limited selection, terrible chinese manufactured nonsense and it's all twice the cost of what it is in american hardware stores.

Even simple shet like screws and hinges... you get one or two brands and they're meh at best. Fasteners? Good luck!

/rant

Oh, man, I just learned this during my annual bike trip through the US last weekend.  Stopped in a hardware store to get a hose clamp for a fellow rider, and holy crap.  Random small hardware store that absolutely *destroyed* every Canadian hardware store I've ever set foot in.  Low prices, absolutely insane selection.  Meanwhile, I can stop at Home Depot in Canada, and be told they don't carry metric fasteners... wtf?  It's Canada!  Random hardware store south of the border will certainly have them.

Frustrates me, because there's always these DIY posts from our US bretheren "Oh, you can just get these at the local hardware store" or even just the assumption that dimensional lumber will be reasonably straight.  lol.  I swear, we live in a nation of forests, and we sell all the good lumber over the border and leave the split, bent, twisted stuff for local stores.  

I love my DIY projects, but damn, I get tired of it always costing more than just buying the thing.

topazsparrow
3 minutes ago, Wintersdark said:

Oh, man, I just learned this during my annual bike trip through the US last weekend.  Stopped in a hardware store to get a hose clamp for a fellow rider, and holy crap.  Random small hardware store that absolutely *destroyed* every Canadian hardware store I've ever set foot in.  Low prices, absolutely insane selection.  Meanwhile, I can stop at Home Depot in Canada, and be told they don't carry metric fasteners... wtf?  It's Canada!  Random hardware store south of the border will certainly have them.

Frustrates me, because there's always these DIY posts from our US bretheren "Oh, you can just get these at the local hardware store" or even just the assumption that dimensional lumber will be reasonably straight.  lol.  I swear, we live in a nation of forests, and we sell all the good lumber over the border and leave the split, bent, twisted stuff for local stores.  

I love my DIY projects, but damn, I get tired of it always costing more than just buying the thing.

LOL YES! Fricken DIY projects where the guy who authored it bought 15 dollars in supplies and the equivalent here is either special order online only or it's 30 times more than you need and is more expensive.