The MT-07 Forum

Chain and sprockets source for 520 conversion

Wintersdark

I'm looking to convert to a 520 chain as my current chain is done and I want to swap out sprockets as well.  What's the best way to source those parts?  Common web stores tend to "well, the MT07 uses a 525 chain, and these are the appropriate parts" which isn't very helpful.  

I'm Canadian, so hopefully there's a good shop that I can just specify the bike, desired pitch, and tooth counts and they can hook me up.  Or is this more esoteric than that?

Thanks for any help!

try here :

6554b6be8c0d829a8bf63ae0c82cf121_link.pn 520 Conversion Kit - SUPERLITE RS7 Steel Sprocket Set with Choice of Chain - YAMAHA FZ-07 / MT-07 - FZ-07 / MT-07 2015-2019 - Yamaha - STREET

<h4>YAMAHA FZ-07 / MT-07 520 Conversion Kit - Steel Sprockets with Choice of Chain</h4>This 520 conversion kit for the FZ07 /...

they give you a choice of different chain to suit you're pocketbook - fancy....

also:
these guys also have a "Kit" available I believe...... probably a bit better sprockets....

I am also figuring on changing to 520....as the stock chain is junk

Edited by bugsinteeth

As far Canadian, Motostarz is good outta Vancouver,

46ca9b8f61309773b71ca54dc60b8373_600x600

Aftermarket Performance Upgrade, Parts & Accessories for Yamaha MT-07 / FZ-07 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 at Motostarz.com

Or this is one of the best for chain and sprockets, 

Shop the best selection of Motorcycle Chain & Sprocket kits at SprocketCenter.com. OEM & Custom gearing options available for all makes & models.

And of course Revzilla and STG are always good.

Sprocket center is great, but shipping is murder - $50usd/$65cdn. 

I can buy parts individually via fortnine, but how can I tell which 520 sprockets will fit?  Do R6 sprockets have the same mounts?  Not sure how to tell.  Will check motostarz.

For clarity: if there's a bike that has 520 sprockets and the same mounting as the FZ07, then I can use that bike in parts finders to find appropriate sprockets.  My experience thus far has been that I can save upwards of $100 buying the chain and sprockets separately.

• Global Moderator
On 9/10/2019 at 7:09 PM, Wintersdark said:

For clarity: if there's a bike that has 520 sprockets and the same mounting as the FZ07, then I can use that bike in parts finders to find appropriate sprockets.  My experience thus far has been that I can save upwards of $100 buying the chain and sprockets separately.

I believe the front sprocket is the same as some earlier r6 models, not 100% on that

Rear I'm not sure what fits

I purchased my sprockets/chain through @bellissimoto

• Like 1

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

On 9/10/2019 at 6:37 PM, Wintersdark said:

Sprocket center is great, but shipping is murder - $50usd/$65cdn. 

I can buy parts individually via fortnine, but how can I tell which 520 sprockets will fit?  Do R6 sprockets have the same mounts?  Not sure how to tell.  Will check motostarz.

Just go based off part numbers from other sites that say it fits. I'm pretty sure that's what I did when I did the conversion.

I'll check my order if I can.

On 9/10/2019 at 8:50 PM, bugsinteeth said:

try the second one I posted WintersDark...."SuperSprox"    best prices I've found so far....

and you CAN buy the parts individually....

https://www.supersproxusa.com/products.php?cat=11255161

Well, checked supersprox.  Prices end up comparable to Sprocket City, but fewer options.  Still really expensive USD shipping whereas Canadian based sellers will ship for free.  Paying $40+usd for shipping is pretty rough when Canadian sellers will ship for free.  

Sadly, we don't seem to have any sellers with reasonably priced conveniently customizable kits.

15 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

Well, checked supersprox.  Prices end up comparable to Sprocket City, but fewer options.  Still really expensive USD shipping whereas Canadian based sellers will ship for free.  Paying $40+usd for shipping is pretty rough when Canadian sellers will ship for free.  

Sadly, we don't seem to have any sellers with reasonably priced conveniently customizable kits.

It's the Canadian way! Lower quality shet for twice the price.

Consumer parts are not even the worst of it. If you've ever wanted to build things around your house or do some reno's... the complete trash they sell at Home Hardware and Rona is a crime. Extremely limited selection, terrible chinese manufactured nonsense and it's all twice the cost of what it is in american hardware stores.

Even simple shet like screws and hinges... you get one or two brands and they're meh at best. Fasteners? Good luck!

/rant

58 minutes ago, topazsparrow said:

It's the Canadian way! Lower quality shet for twice the price.

Consumer parts are not even the worst of it. If you've ever wanted to build things around your house or do some reno's... the complete trash they sell at Home Hardware and Rona is a crime. Extremely limited selection, terrible chinese manufactured nonsense and it's all twice the cost of what it is in american hardware stores.

Even simple shet like screws and hinges... you get one or two brands and they're meh at best. Fasteners? Good luck!

/rant

Oh, man, I just learned this during my annual bike trip through the US last weekend.  Stopped in a hardware store to get a hose clamp for a fellow rider, and holy crap.  Random small hardware store that absolutely *destroyed* every Canadian hardware store I've ever set foot in.  Low prices, absolutely insane selection.  Meanwhile, I can stop at Home Depot in Canada, and be told they don't carry metric fasteners... wtf?  It's Canada!  Random hardware store south of the border will certainly have them.

Frustrates me, because there's always these DIY posts from our US bretheren "Oh, you can just get these at the local hardware store" or even just the assumption that dimensional lumber will be reasonably straight.  lol.  I swear, we live in a nation of forests, and we sell all the good lumber over the border and leave the split, bent, twisted stuff for local stores.  

I love my DIY projects, but damn, I get tired of it always costing more than just buying the thing.

3 minutes ago, Wintersdark said:

Oh, man, I just learned this during my annual bike trip through the US last weekend.  Stopped in a hardware store to get a hose clamp for a fellow rider, and holy crap.  Random small hardware store that absolutely *destroyed* every Canadian hardware store I've ever set foot in.  Low prices, absolutely insane selection.  Meanwhile, I can stop at Home Depot in Canada, and be told they don't carry metric fasteners... wtf?  It's Canada!  Random hardware store south of the border will certainly have them.

Frustrates me, because there's always these DIY posts from our US bretheren "Oh, you can just get these at the local hardware store" or even just the assumption that dimensional lumber will be reasonably straight.  lol.  I swear, we live in a nation of forests, and we sell all the good lumber over the border and leave the split, bent, twisted stuff for local stores.  

I love my DIY projects, but damn, I get tired of it always costing more than just buying the thing.

LOL YES! Fricken DIY projects where the guy who authored it bought 15 dollars in supplies and the equivalent here is either special order online only or it's 30 times more than you need and is more expensive.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

I'm having a hard time trying to select what it is I actually need to complete this, what are locking spring nuts and where do I get the ring thing that needs to be put on the counter shaft and pinged? So far I have this: 

Product NameUnit PriceQtySubtotal 

SUPERLITE (#12814R) RS7 Series 520 Pitch Steel Rear Sprocket

SELECT TOOTH SIZE

43T

$48.00$48.00

520 Conversion Kit - SUPERLITE RS7 Steel Sprocket Set with Choice of Chain - YAMAHA FZ-07 / MT-07

FRONT SPROCKET SIZE

16 Tooth - Stock Size

REAR SPROCKET SIZE

43 Tooth - Stock Size

CHAIN BRAND | MODEL | COLOR

DID 520VX3 - NATURAL X'ring (800cc rated)

$140.95$140.95

Continue ShoppingUpdate Shopping CartClear Shopping Cart

ESTIMATE SHIPPING AND TAX

Enter your destination to get a shipping estimate.

Update and Estimate Shipping

Changing your shipping location may affect your shopping cart.

No available shipping methods

DISCOUNT CODES

Enter your coupon code if you have one.

Apply Coupon

Grand Total$188.95

Subtotal$188.95

Tax$0.00

-OR-

I'm clueless as people have said this sprocket has been known to fail, vortex is outrageously expensive. I need 2 rear sprockets as I have 2 sets of wheels. I'm in a bit of a squeeze as I just saw the red-tide oxidation  colour on the chain, which I believe is the O-rings are going or gone. Bit of a dilemma here, so all help and recommendations are greatly appreciated. This is the vortex option:

4 Item(s)

Home

Enter The Vortex

Your Account

Contact Us - (800) 440-3559

Part #: 

Home

Shopping Cart

ProductYour PriceQtyTotal 

43 tooth 520 Steel Rear Sprock...
Stock Code: 435S-43$51.99 ea.$103.98

16 tooth 520 Front Sprocket: S...
Stock Code: 3291-16$30.95 ea.$30.95

V3 2.0 Black Chain 520RX3-108
Stock Code: 520RX3-108$167.99 ea.$167.99

Ok, here's what a spring nut looks like, it's similar to a nylock and accomplishes the same thing.

IMG_20190927_193349.thumb.jpg.1c6615d3bc6cadac59c8273d11e01471.jpg

Reuse your original ones if you can (or buy new ones) just use blue loctite with em. 

I assume this is the ring of which you speak. 

Studio_20190927_194509.thumb.jpg.912af5e951977054c2d1351655c841c0.jpg

Bob had 4 sprocket carriers and 4 rings. Bob lost all 4 rings, by accident, damn. Be like Bob.

I've never had any of my Superlite rear sprockets fail or even wear out.

IMG_20161226_120915597_1569614612946_resized.thumb.jpg.75d8ce4608388d3b32c12120b9832751.jpg

• Premium Member

You the man @mossrider/ bob?? Lmao. I’ll practice on my spare wheel first. Where do I get the ring that needs to be staked on the c-shaft sprocket? Is it possible to use the existing? I’d think not, but I’ve been wrong before! ( ahmmm axle nylock) bob f**ked it up. Bob, what are you up to now!!! I hope your not trying to cook! 
Thank You.

I May try my luck and ride out to dunlopinvitational@hallet tomorrow. I mean if I make it there and it all goes wrong, I can blame bob and have a s**t load of mechanics right there? (As if they have nothing else to be doing) Seriously, it’s a risk I know, but I’d rather not drive the cage and be bland, but I don’t want to wreck the bike either with the red tide oxidization that has appeared on 8-10 links.

Thanks again, you the Man.👍

Just now, fzar said:

You the man @mossrider/ bob?? Lmao. I’ll practice on my spare wheel first. Where do I get the ring that needs to be staked on the c-shaft sprocket? Is it possible to use the existing? I’d think not, but I’ve been wrong before! ( ahmmm axle nylock) bob f**ked it up. Bob, what are you up to now!!! I hope your not trying to cook! 
Thank You.

I May try my luck and ride out to dunlopinvitational@hallet tomorrow. I mean if I make it there and it all goes wrong, I can blame bob and have a s**t load of mechanics right there? (As if they have nothing else to be doing) Seriously, it’s a risk I know, but I’d rather not drive the cage and be bland, but I don’t want to wreck the bike either with the red tide oxidization that has appeared on 8-10 links.

Thanks again, you the Man.👍

Oh yeah, you're right! I reread your post, oops. You can reuse the countershaft nut if you're careful. I drilled mine and safety wired it as well. Seems Bob lost it once on track, somehow the sprocket stayed tho... 

20170909_134106-1.thumb.jpg.4efe20f4584e8ad459c0cb8ac042abac.jpg

Bob lost more than the shet on the rear wheel. There's a bunch of other stuff on his bike Bob needs to lose. Sawzall sneaking up on that subframe...

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member

I like Bob, he reminds me of,, me. He has never f”edd up anything. He’s just experimenting to make thing better, or prove himself wrong by trying and thinking outside the rectangle, he’s way beyond “The box”. I’m nearly at the point of I have what I need to go to the track. 1 more track day at halett in November, first time, and then tear down and service.

• Global Moderator
1 hour ago, mossrider said:

do you run the bike w/o a cover there? 
what keeps the chain guide on?

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

2 hours ago, sorkyah said:

do you run the bike w/o a cover there? 
what keeps the chain guide on?

Right, no cover, left over screws/bolts/washers/random junk to hold it on. Like this;

IMG_20190928_074809.thumb.jpg.b17502e9dc594798a84a16472fe0321f.jpg

Bob's in rough shape today. Cold medicine, happy hour & sick last night, argh.

• Premium Member
On 9/28/2019 at 8:04 AM, mossrider said:

Bob's in rough shape today. Cold medicine, happy hour & sick last night, argh.

Bob was celebrating a little too much? As I said I like Bob!!!! LMAO.

• Premium Member

Sprocket center sent me a 15 -T front instead of my ordered 16-T OEM. Well anyway I got to taking the rear sprocket off my spare wheel, Its the original 1 for my bike, I bought it with 2,130 miles and currently has 24,500 miles I was expecting some difficulty keeping the OEM spring nuts as they are lock nuts to an extent. I put the wheel on my fold up table (bench) sprayed them with WD-40 and left them while I went on a ride on the beautiful morning that it was 65F. I just left them there for 4 hours soaking away. I got them off in perfect condition, but man they were hard to get off. I got the breaker bar and put the tyre upright and used opposite forces to get them moving by sitting on the tyre. I'll tell ya this if that sounds weird, when I do a tyre rotation on my corolla I can break the nuts away without the breaker bar and there at 76 ft-lbs. as opposed to the spring nuts at 58 ft-lbs, I get it, the nuts on the car are on the car so its a little easier.

I had been reading posts around the web and people were saying don't torque the spring nut to spec as they will damage the studs or strip. I don't know, I read the torque spec and it was 58 ft-lb's . I said I'll try them a 55 ft-lb's with blue loctite, Nothing went wrong. What I'd like to know does that seem sufficient at 55 ft-lbs?

Hopefully I'll have the 16-T by monday so I can push on with this little project.

• Premium Member
On 9/27/2019 at 10:42 PM, mossrider said:

How is it your DID 520 ERV3 Gold, doesn't look like the 1 I ordered the outside links are gold but the inside links are natural (as in the same as OEM)? I'm confused.

15 minutes ago, fzar said:

How is it your DID 520 ERV3 Gold, doesn't look like the 1 I ordered the outside links are gold but the inside links are natural (as in the same as OEM)? I'm confused.

I'm special.

Seriously an ERV3 should be all gold. There are other grades that are halvsies and some that are natural. Have a close look at it. It should be stamped ERV3 on every other outer plate. 

• Thanks 1