The MT-07 Forum

A few issues I've noticed recently. Perhaps one of you guys may know? Thanks!

eMpTy-Oh7

Hi,

I have almost 1,000 miles on my 2018 MT-07 that I bought new this past April.  The bike was running well with no issue.  In July, I realized the chain was loose as I can hear it rattles a bit when riding.  I've adjusted the chain.  That's really the only thing I've done to the bike (besides oil change and cleaning the chain).  Then I noticed a couple issues recently so not sure if it's related.

1) My small garage has my car and the bike.  I need to roll the bike out before I can get the car out so often times I would just clutch in while it's in gear and push it out.  I've noticed it's taking "A LOT" more effect to move the bike when clutch in.  If I get it in N then it's super easy to roll / push it.  It's not a big deal but not sure if that's normal.  

2) Lately, I've noticed upshifting at decent rpm (5k or so) if I let go of the clutch TOO SLOW the rear tire chirps.  Seems like it's locking up for a split second or something.  This happens from 1 - 2 shift, 2 - 3 shift, etc.  Today, I tried dumping the clutch immediately after shifting from 1 to 2 and 2 to 3 and noticed if I let go of the clutch all the way IMMEDIATELY then the tire doesn't chirp / lock up.  Do I need to adjust my clutch cable? Or related to my chain adjustment?

Before I bring it back to dealer just wanted to see if you guys may know what it could be.

Thanks.......

Just now, eMpTy-Oh7 said:

Hi,

I have almost 1,000 miles on my 2018 MT-07 that I bought new this past April.  The bike was running well with no issue.  In July, I realized the chain was loose as I can hear it rattles a bit when riding.  I've adjusted the chain.  That's really the only thing I've done to the bike (besides oil change and cleaning the chain).  Then I noticed a couple issues recently so not sure if it's related.

1) My small garage has my car and the bike.  I need to roll the bike out before I can get the car out so often times I would just clutch in while it's in gear and push it out.  I've noticed it's taking "A LOT" more effect to move the bike when clutch in.  If I get it in N then it's super easy to roll / push it.  It's not a big deal but not sure if that's normal.  

2) Lately, I've noticed upshifting at decent rpm (5k or so) if I let go of the clutch TOO SLOW the rear tire chirps.  Seems like it's locking up for a split second or something.  This happens from 1 - 2 shift, 2 - 3 shift, etc.  Today, I tried dumping the clutch immediately after shifting from 1 to 2 and 2 to 3 and noticed if I let go of the clutch all the way IMMEDIATELY then the tire doesn't chirp / lock up.  Do I need to adjust my clutch cable? Or related to my chain adjustment?

Before I bring it back to dealer just wanted to see if you guys may know what it could be.

Thanks.......

Both are normal and simply a function of design. 

The bike pushes harder in gear with the clutch pulled than in neutral because you are turning many more parts. Parts that are immersed in cold viscous engine oil, and you are rotating the clutch plates against one another in said fluid. In neutral the clutch is not rotated when pushed.

In lower transmission gears the mechanical advantage of the gearbox over the driveline causes it to chirp the rear tire when you don't match your actual road speed with the design rpm/speed of the driveline. If you slow, as is the case when you pull in the clutch for prolonged periods of time, your gear selection can skid the rear tire momentarily as the engine rpm/transmission synchronize with the actual speed. By making an immediate shift the accelerative forces and the vehicles speed match, hence no mini skid.  The engine/clutch/transmission are a fixed mechanical ratio (actually 6 of them), not an automatic transmission. By coasting into the wrong speed for a given gear ratio you are forcing it to bleed that energy somehow.

• Like 2

1. That's normal. Every bike I've ridden is like that. 

2. The answer is right under your nose. 😉 Letting the clutch out slow is the wrong way to clutch when going through the gears at speed. Just shift faster all the time like you mentioned you did and you'll be alright. Be safe, stay frosty!

Beemer

Thanks guys. 

Strange that I didn't notice this the first 600 or 700 miles.  But if it's normal then I'll just have to dump the clutch when I shift now.

Interesting that I had a Honda CBR250r for 5 years and never noticed any tire chirps.  Maybe because the bike was under power and I was dumping the clutch immediately so I can get onto the throttle.

I also ridden my brother's triumph street triple 765 and his fz-6r but never had the tire chirp while upshifting as well.

My bike is hard to push in gear with the clutch in. I have not experienced the wheel chirping however I do not use the clutch slowiy.

What I find makes the smoothest shift is to preload the shifter, barley engage the clutch. I use 2 fingers near the pivot point. This makes the clutch slip just a tad. And slightly roll off the throttle.

So in one coordinated effort pull up on the shifter getting the slack out of it while barley pulling in the clutch and barley rolling off the throttle. It will slide in gear so smoothly.

This is the same way to clutchess upshift minus the slight clutch pull. The slight clutch pull smooths the shift out vs clutchless.

On alot of my clutchless upshift I get a forward jerk as the next gear engages. Especially doing them in the lower rpm range.