The MT-07 Forum

Mysterious swingarm "seal"?

superfishal

I was looking at the swingarm parts diagram of the 2018 mt07 and spotted a new "seal" that isnt on the diagram for the 15-17. It looks like it could be a fix for the chain guide issue. The part is listed as Yamaha SEAL 1 BU2-22358-00-00. It was only 5 bucks so i ordered it to find out. Ill post here when it arrives and figure it out for sure or someone with an 18 could please confirm it for me.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Whats this chain guide issue?  

I have a 2019 and that "seal" is just a sticker under the chain guide, if i remember correctly. Heres a picture.

Inked20190918_124703_LI.thumb.jpg.0b5ca6c77cbe80217952a68d9b4e5330.jpg

Edited by geophb
uploaded pic

• 1 month later...

Yes that's correct. I ordered that part along with a new chain guide and installed on my 2017. My guide was wearing funny. I don't see how it does anything. I think its to prevent the guide from rubbing off the paint and causing rust. Not sure. Its just a clear plastic sticker.  

Just now, Bigturbomax said:

Yes that's correct. I ordered that part along with a new chain guide and installed on my 2017. My guide was wearing funny. I don't see how it does anything. I think its to prevent the guide from rubbing off the paint and causing rust. Not sure. Its just a clear plastic sticker.  

Did you do a 520 chain conversion? If you did that will contribute to the guide wear issues. I go through a couple of stock rubber guides per season. Upgrading your suspension can wreak havoc with the guide too, good thing they're cheap. You can try trimming the center rib flat since that is what causes the wear as it doesn't line up with the 520 correctly. There are also some more durable aftermarket options available now too. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, mossrider said:

There are also some more durable aftermarket options available now too. 

Any links to those?

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

Just now, DewMan said:

Any links to those?

file.jpg

Tired of burning through stock chain buffers made of epdm (?) While Im not positive of the material I am sure it fails at an accelerated rate on the track. This lead to making a chain buffer from Delrin to avoid carrying as many in...

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, mossrider said:

Did you do a 520 chain conversion? If you did that will contribute to the guide wear issues. I go through a couple of stock rubber guides per season. Upgrading your suspension can wreak havoc with the guide too, good thing they're cheap. You can try trimming the center rib flat since that is what causes the wear as it doesn't line up with the 520 correctly. There are also some more durable aftermarket options available now too. 

Nah, almost 14k and my stock chain is still doing great. Im considering the 520 conversion when my chain/sprockets need replaced. Is it really that much better?

Just now, Bigturbomax said:

Nah, almost 14k and my stock chain is still doing great. Im considering the 520 conversion when my chain/sprockets need replaced. Is it really that much better?

Nope.

Only if weight is a concern.

• Global Moderator

Rotating mass was my only concern when doing the conversion

Also replaced the wheel bearings and repacked the swingarm/shock bearings when I did

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.