The MT-07 Forum

Almost T boned by red light runner.

Grant31781

So I was sitting at the red light 1st in line. It turns green and I easy on off looking both ways.  I  suddenly see a fast moving car appear to my left once I am in its path. Of course its a 90s beater Accord hauling ass. No signs of slowing down. They were hell bent to beat the light that they ran by a long shot.  I though oh Sheet. I reacted by nailing the throttle and wheelied ( 1 to 2 foot)threw my green light and the car just missed my rear tire. Thank got this bike can move in a hurry in 1st! If that car had hit me when I saw it it would have nailed me dead square on my left side.  I doubt my riding gear would have done much.  I am sure my left leg and hip wound have been screwed. I bet the driver had the bare mininum insurance too.

Here is a screen shot of the intersection. I have no idea why this is a double image.  The yellow box and line is me. The red line is the car. The blue boxes are cars parked which block the view plus these tall building.

I feel like I should have been doing more to avoid this near miss. The downtown area offers very limited view to the intersecting traffic.

So what did I do wrong?  What do I need to do to hopefully avoid this in the future?

1947601932_nearmiss.thumb.jpg.88553bd7dcb0807d2a38e90989a96311.jpg1947601932_nearmiss.thumb.jpg.88553bd7dcb0807d2a38e90989a96311.jpg

Not sure you did anything wrong, just had very close call and thankfully your okay. If I commuted on my bike I would definitely invest in moto cam in case there is no witnesses. My buddy has this unit with no complaints. INNOVV K2 Dual Channel Motorcyle Motocam with WiFi, GPS and Parking Mode 

What you did right was pay attention and react immediately, nothing wrong with  your actions.  Kudos for wearing protective gear and keeping your head about you when riding instead of daydreaming your way along.  Many other riders would be posting about how unlucky they were to get blind-sided by some idiot running a red light.  I tend to stay towards the center of the intersection when crossing those such as yours (double lane one way) which gives a bit of extra time to react to things such as parked cars pulling out and in your circumstance an idiot running the light.  @elmo advice of getting a commuting camera setup isn't a bad idea either.  Town's not so big that you couldn't just skirt around it altogether if it meant having peace of mind while commuting.  Glad you're ok.

Close call. So glad you reacted as you did. Seems you did everything right and that saved you. Only way to go is to assume that there is always some idiot out to get us. Looks like another reason to own an MT-07.

Just do it! 

Thanks guys. I do not commute on a MC. Just ride for fun.  Yes I can go around the town however I like riding in town . LOL

I wear full gear: full face helmet, jacket pants and boots and gloves. Plus its bright yellow! I call BS on it being too hot to wear gear. It was 96 yesterday. My gear is summer gear so it is mesh and flows a lot of air. Plus it keeps me from getting sun burnt.

20180905_175945-1008x756.jpg

Edited by Grant31781
  • Like 1

Just off the top of my head since the you will encounter people coming through a light before you will people on the right you could simply go a little slower and look around the cars that are blocking your view. that way if you do suddenly spot a potential "light runner" You can stop on a dime and watch him fly past in front of you instead of crossing in front of him and taking your chances. I know not everyone does this nor are going to because either their handle bars are too far forward and low or they have a problem with doing it but sometimes when cars are blocking my view when approaching an intersection and I see it as a potential hazard I'll stand on my pegs real quick and look over the tops of cars to get a good look at what's on the other side of them. I don't care what I look like doing it if it's going to possibly protect me. I highly recommend doing both of those things. GL and stay frosty. Thank god you didn't get creamed and are alright, be safe.

Beemer

2 minutes ago, Grant31781 said:

Thanks guys. I do not commute on a MC. Just ride for fun.  Yes I can go around the town however I like riding in town . LOL

I wear full gear: full face helmet, jacket pants and boots. Plus its bright yellow! I call BS on it being too hot to wear gear. It was 96 yesterday. My gear is summer gear so it is mesh and flows a lot of air. Plus it keeps me from getting sun burnt.

Sometimes it gets hotter than 96 or the "real feel" shoots well into the triple digits where I live. It's why I don't ride much in the summer. Depending on where you live, summer gear can be a joke and mesh doesn't flow much air in slow, stop & go traffic where a lot of protection isn't needed to begin with. 😉

Beemer

I know what you mean. I live in the gulf soup too.  I live out in the country 5 miles from town so I wear the gear all the time. Gear or no gear triple digit heat index is terrible  Especially sitting on asphalt in the sun. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I only have one question.

Did you look  both ways while still stopped at the green light before you  " I easy on off looking both ways." ? It wasn't clear in your description of events.

I prefer to take a quick left/right/left check to make sure all cross traffic is stopped or at least braking before letting off the brake at a light.

Edit: and creep out slowly until you can see past any obstructions if needed, covering the brake while still checking. I always assume someone is going to run the light and plan accordingly.

Glad you're safe. Good on you for wearing ATGATT. 👍

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

Yes I looked before moving. I would guess the car was doing at least 25mph so it suddenly appeared as I moved up and could see down the street.