Sign in to follow this  
tarmacjapan

Question about relocating the key/ignition barrel

tarmacjapan

Guys,

I really really hate the location of the key/barrel. I want to move it somewhere else, but my concern is the immobiliser. On my 2018 model there is a thick wire which has a clear plastic cover on it. I think it's like an antenna for the immobiliser. Does the key have a chip in it? I'm wondering that if I move the ignition somewhere else, the signal might not be strong enough. 

Anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?

Thanks in advance

shinyribs

I don't have any experience with the immobilizer, but I would also LOVE to move the key. To pretty much anywhere. It's something I've been wanting to find the time to tackle, but I'm not crazy about losing the steering lock in the process. Thinking I can work out something with a cable to retain use of the steering lock, but not really wanting some Rube Goldberg contraption if I can prevent it. 

Edited by shinyribs

sorkyah

I would love to have an RFID based immobiliser on the bike

Thinking maybe have it in the phone case and the charging "cable" doubles as the antenna/supply wire

Steering lock is the only thing I'd have issues moving unless a solenoid of some sort was used

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.