The MT-07 Forum

Track Tire ?

Evill_Ed

• Premium Member

I’m running Dunlop Q3’s on the track and love them. I wore out the right side of the rear tire since my tracks are mostly right hand turns. My front tire looks pretty even with lots of tread depth. My question is do you typically  replace front rear as a set or do you replace the rear as necessary? Based on my wear patterns, I think I could do 2 rears to every front. 

Right now I’m planning on getting a fresh pair at my next event from the local track dealer.

Front tire’s aren’t expensive and I am not look to compromise safety, I just don’t want to throw away good tires either.

Ed

"Do not let this bad example influence you, follow only what is good" 

I have just replaced the rear with no issues. Lots of exclusive track guys I know do it all the time. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
42 minutes ago, Evill_Ed said:

I’m running Dunlop Q3’s on the track and love them. I wore out the right side of the rear tire since my tracks are mostly right hand turns. My front tire looks pretty even with lots of tread depth. My question is do you typically  replace front rear as a set or do you replace the rear as necessary? Based on my wear patterns, I think I could do 2 rears to every front. 

Right now I’m planning on getting a fresh pair at my next event from the local track dealer.

Front tire’s aren’t expensive and I am not look to compromise safety, I just don’t want to throw away good tires either.

Ed

I have a set of Q3+'s on right now, I'm not on track or doing trackdays (yet) but I have given them a good amount of work to do, as I have really good twisties ever direction I wish to go from my house. I have almost 3,500 miles on them and I'm just at the wear bar on the outside sipes on the rear. The front is fine,( lots of life left) and I have another rear Q3+ in the garage ready to go. I would add that from the OEM Michelins PR3'S and moving to Pirelli Angel ST'S, I've consistently had 2R/1F ratio. I had to try the Q3+'s and I'm very impressed compared to the above mentioned, I'm sure there's better out there, but the Q3+'s really suite me. 

Just to add I was getting about 4,500 mile out of rears, until I got the Q3+'s they give me a greater sense of what's going on and are a gift that keeps on giving as far as confidence and feeling goes. I don't know if the Q3's are that much different, as Dunlop states you can mix them both without issue.

I understand that you have a good suspension package going too, I'm running OEM F/R a tad more pre-load on the rear, nothing on the front. I have a shock coming in on friday, and I'm looking at what to do up front.

• Like 1

I frequently use 2, some times 3 rears to each front. As you noted some tracks are harder on one side of the tire than others. Another thing you can do is flip your rear tires and run them backwards (on the rim, not the track of course). Some folks are bothered by this but the manufacturers make some tires specifically to be flipped, such as Dunlops older DOT race tire the GP Pro is bi-directional for instance. Almost any slick and most DOT track tires can be flipped ignoring the tread pattern if run on a dry track. I've done it many times.

Legally I don't condone anything a manufacturer specifically forbids. But I have done it many times. I see tons of pirelli fronts and rears being run backwards, same for dunlops, Bridgestone and Michelins for that matter.

Pirelli says 'let er buck', Bridgestone used to say 'technically no' but we did anyway. Dunlop says 'rears are flipable'. I'm not sure with Michelins as I haven't any recent experience with them. 

Note: this opinion pertains to on track. What you do on the roadway is your own bidness. The tread of DOT tires is designed to aid handling, steering, braking and sipe away water for safety on public roadways. And the tread IS DIRECTIONAL by design. On a wet track you had better be on rain tires or properly mounted good DOT street tires or you'll be on you head. (DOT race tires are aweful in the wet) 

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Thanks  Fzar, I would need to go with the Q3+, not sure if the Q3 is still available. I’ll see what the Dunlop guys at the track recommend. I’m sure a fresh set of Q3+ is a good investment either way. I’m probably going to get another 2-3 track days in this season. Not sure if I’ll  ride on the street  or not after that. 

What shock are you going with? 

For the forks, I’ve heard good things about the Race Tech emulators and the Traxxion Dynamics version. Cornerslider has the RaceTech set up and really likes the performance. 

Ed

• Premium Member

Thanks Moss.  I’ve heard you can and I heard you can’t flip the Q3s  because they can delaminate. Not sure which is true.. several riders at my track have told me to flip them, they do it without issue. I’m still learning about track riding, do’s and don’ts. I appreciate your input. 

I may flip it and keep an eye on it at my next event. If I see anything I don’t like or feel comfortable with, I’ll grab a new rear.

Ed

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, Evill_Ed said:

I’m sure a fresh set of Q3+ is a good investment

Their not that expensive, but is more than what I was paying for the Angel St's, saying that I'd never go back. I will buy another rear Angel ST as I have a good front thats got plenty on it, to possible run down to MA@ Barber as I don't want a great tire squared off.

10 minutes ago, Evill_Ed said:

What shock are you going with?

I bought an Ohlins STX46 from @cornerslider with 2 springs, and paperwork from his suspension builder Trackside labs for work they did on it.

13 minutes ago, Evill_Ed said:

For the forks, I’ve heard good things about the Race Tech emulators and the Traxxion Dynamics version. Cornerslider has the RaceTech set up and really likes the performance.

Yeah I spoke to  @cornerslider as he called me personally and he really likes his setup. I also read his service on the racetech emulators, eehh, I'm in a couple of minds right now. I haven't  made my mind up yet, but nix-22 is a clear winner right now, but, Financially I might have to go a different route. I dunno, I haven't even given her a shakedown on a track yet, so!! 

Thanks for the heads-up though. Ohh yeah, I have woodcraft rearsets on the way too......... Looks like I'm too far down the rabbit hole to turn around now!!😂 Backing away, before my wife finds out......... No, NO they've been there since I bought it, I swear... 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, fzar said:

I bought an Ohlins STX46 from @cornerslider with 2 springs, and paperwork from his suspension builder Trackside labs for work they did on it.

Good deal, I think yo will be pleased with the Ohlins shock. 

Yeah I spoke to  @cornerslider as he called me personally and he really likes his setup. I also read his service on the racetech emulators, eehh, I'm in a couple of minds right now. I haven't  made my mind up yet, but nix-22 is a clear winner right now, but, Financially I might have to go a different route. I dunno, I haven't even given her a shakedown on a track yet, so!! 

So far I’m really pleased with the performance of my NIX-22 cartridges.  If you can fit them in your budget, I think you’d really like them. They’ll match the rear shocks dampening and performance. 

Thanks for the heads-up though. Ohh yeah, I have woodcraft rearsets on the way too......... Looks like I'm too far down the rabbit hole to turn around now!!😂 Backing away, before my wife finds out......... No, NO they've been there since I bought it, I swear... 

I really like my Woodcrafts, they are like jewelry on my bike. That rabbit hole is slippery 😜. I need to be careful around my wife too, I forget what I told her I bought 😊

Ed

• Premium Member
Just now, Evill_Ed said:

I need to be careful around my wife too, I forget what I told her I bought 😊

Just send her flowers while your at work, should keep her distracted from your bike for at least another month, cheap insurance until ,at least my wife anyway, gets caught up in christmas!!!!

• Like 1

• Premium Member
howworkclutch
On 9/4/2019 at 7:15 PM, Evill_Ed said:

Ed

i'm tunning the q3+s and i'm on the 2nd rear tire, soon to be 3rd. front tire still has plenty of rubber left.

some of the stretched swing-arm riders will happily buy takeoffs since there is so much meat left in the center. something to thing about.

• Like 1

-HowWorkClutch

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
On 9/9/2019 at 11:09 AM, howworkclutch said:

i'm tunning the q3+s and i'm on the 2nd rear tire, soon to be 3rd. front tire still has plenty of rubber left.

some of the stretched swing-arm riders will happily buy takeoffs since there is so much meat left in the center. something to thing about.

Its true Dunlop really up their game with the centre for street riders that might track the bike, I really like the Q3+'s

• 1 month later...

For those of you running the Dunlops I found these trackside cheat sheets while cleaning out my phone. They may come in handy,

IMG_20191117_155138.thumb.jpg.dd1ae20cc76300641a67243e5f6ebff2.jpg

And one for the racing line as well,

IMG_20191117_155222.thumb.jpg.ed6fe55f651763c4525146145e99b723.jpg

Wear em out!

• Like 3