The MT-07 Forum

Engine knock and lost of power

2wheeleddroid

2wheeleddroid

Not sure what damage may have occurred. 

First off I have a 2016 fz07 with 20,9XX miles  oil changed every 3000  

So so I went to work one morning no problem, my oil light blinked on for a second or two then turned back off. I figured I was just under 3k sense my oil change so I would just do it after work when I got home. On my way home still nothing at first.  About 5 miles later I started to hear a slight knock. I’m about half way home and kept going. Around 2-3 miles from home it was starting to get louder. And it felt under powered and running a little higher RPMs.  I got it home and it was low on oil so I got it back to the right level about 1/2 to 3/4 a quart. I forgot to get an oil filter on my way home but after roping it off I was still worried about the knock and power loss. So I rode it around the neighborhood listening. Nothing. So I parked it and tightened my chain. The next morning got on and left for work. As soon as I left the neighborhood and tried to get up to speed I heard the knock and felt the power loss again. Turned around and got my car. Now I don’t know what could be the problem or how to fix or figure it out. 

Any help would be highly appreciated. I don’t want to lose her. She is too young. 

Buy you a filter cutting tool and open the filter and pull all of the element apart and see if there is any metal in it. On airplane engines, this is a common practical to check. Take it out in the sun to look.

If you lost oil pressure, that knocking is likely some bearings in the bottom end (rod, crank or wrist pin). 3/4 of a quart seems low considering it only holds 2.75 quarts.

I would say make a video so we can hear it but the more you run it the more potential for more damage.

Does the knock sound more like a hammer hitting metal or diesel knock or a higher pitch sound like the cam chain slapping?

Sorry about your troubles. It's most likely a bearing going out like Grant said so don't ride it anymore because the next thing to go might be a rod and that could total your engine. Confirming that there's metal in your oil can't hurt anything but don't even start it anymore. Load it up and haul it to a reputable shop and let them look at it and get an estimate. GL and let us know what you find out. 🤞

• Like 1

Beemer

• Global Moderator

gonna have to second what Beemer and grant are saying here
@2wheeleddroid
check the oil for metal/debris, but do not start it. any further damage will just be a more extensive repair
take the bike to a reputable mechanic.

• Thanks 1

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

4 hours ago, Beemer said:

Sorry about your troubles. It's most likely a bearing going out like Grant said so don't ride it anymore because the next thing to go might be a rod and that could total your engine. Confirming that there's metal in your oil can't hurt anything but don't even start it anymore. Load it up and haul it to a reputable shop and let them look at it and get an estimate. GL and let us know what you find out. 🤞

Sound advice.