The MT-07 Forum

Still on the fence about an OEM R6 throttle tube ? First impressions after running stock tube for 3 years!

EZrider

Shoud I do it ?  OEM R6 or Motion pro ?   Will it be a (too) drastic change vs stock ?  Do I have enough "riding and/or mechanic experience" for this swap ?  Can it be "dangerous" (too twitchy / sensitive) ? How long will it take before I get used to it ?  etc...

Even after reading a lot different discussions on the subject, I still had many unanswered questions until... today 😎

(BTW:  I got the OEM Yamaha R6 part #2C0-26240-00-00, plenty of info on this vs motion pro vs stock for specs and technical differences)

There's a lot of different and opposite (and all valid) opinions, so best way to get all my answers, I finally did the swap today and took a +-4h ride of about 260km (including some 0-20km/h bumper to bumper usual higway trafic to get to / country roads / twisties).  Of course, there were also bumps and potholes, as I'm in Canada... ;)

Short answer

Nothing to be afraid of, just do it! (But read the ***P.S. below).  It's really worth the try imho!  (easily reversable in 10 minutes if need be)

Basically, immediate noticeable (but really not over the top) tweak for such a cheap (in $ and time) mod! 👍

Long answer:

FZ07 is my first bike ever, bought it in August 2016, got those Canadian winters (so I ride roughly from May until mid to end October), got around 15 000km since.  Leisure rides only (preferably those nice twisties going up and down in the moutains, gotta love'em!), no commuting to work with it, no wheelies, no track days. (To give you an idea of the kind of use I make of the bike)

I still consider myself a begginer (an "experienced" beginner if I can say so ;)) and bare in mind that not even 24h ago, I was almost afraid of having the OEM version instead of the motionpro and was even questionning myself if I should at all go ahead with this mod (even just with a Motionpro) or leave it stock, like I was used to...  This shows you that sometimes even after reading a lot on a given subject, it still just don't cut it, simply gotta do it and see for yourself, so I did! 

My 1st impression:  Just... Wow!!!!  😃  This bike should come stock with this throttle tube.

Throttle now feels smoother, more precise, crisp, responsive and also... surprisingly feels so natural!!  It litteraly took no time to adapt (ymmv), just felt it was always like this.  It feels to me this specific throttle tube fits perfecly the character of this bike.  Maybe the higher tension needed to twist the R6 throttle helps in that matter, but it even also actually feels less twitchy to me compared to stock.  Imho, it's a must (try at least) if you already thought about it at least once. 

I hope, one way or another, this might help some of you still hesitating!

*** P.S.:  I would STRONGLY recommend an ECU flash BEFORE (got mine done at 2WDW) getting the R6 tube, reason being the the stock fuel map makes the acceleration very jerky and non linear on the FZ07 (and also the stock injector decel cut is causing far too much sudden engine braking), so I believe this throttle tube swap would only aggravate its jerkiness even more without a proper ECU flash (but I can't confirm 100% since I've flashed my ECU and changed exhaust long before doing the tube swap) ***

Edited by EZrider
Added the "*** P.S." about ECU flash
  • Like 4

Personally, I didn't think the difference was severe, really. There was a "noticeable change" and it felt a little better, a little crisper and a little more precise but not once did I feel like it was something that required getting used. I really didn't notice much difference, nothing to be scared of anyway. After I installed mine I got right on it and rode like nothing had been done to it. In my experience a new bulb made the biggest difference to my bike. 

• Like 3

Beemer

I don't understand how it can be both smoother and more responsive as these are kind of a counter to each other. As we all know, the throttle tube only effects how quickly the throttle opens for a set amount of rotation at the grip, so increasing the throttle opening for a set amount of twisting would technically make it less smooth as you have a less gradual transition between closed and open.

It seems like a strange mod to do, but then again I haven't done it. Although I have no issue with the standard operation so have never considered the mod either.

22 minutes ago, kylerhsm said:

It seems like a strange mod to do, but then again I haven't done it. Although I have no issue with the standard operation so have never considered the mod either.

It is the cheapest and easiest mod to do that will reward you with a smile and a feeling of being just a bit more of a hooligan 😁 You will notice the difference within a block. Is it dramatic/scary/intense - No, but it is very real, and just adds to the fun factor of an already fun bike.

Just for an example, but you can definitely beat this price if you look enough:

https://www.amazon.com/YAMAHA-2C0262400000-Yamaha-Grip-Assembly/dp/B005C59NO2/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=2C0-26240-00-00&qid=1567379966&s=gateway&sr=8-1

• Like 1

On 9/1/2019 at 6:54 PM, kylerhsm said:

I don't understand how it can be both smoother and more responsive as these are kind of a counter to each other.

Hey Kylerhsm,

What I mean by smoother (and more responsive) is even the smallest twist of the wrist will make you feel the bike responds in a bit more "lively" manner, so the "power delivery vs wrist travel ratio" feels more natural to me (less wrist travel for same power range leads to a smoother wrist control, I dont know how to say it other than I feel like it's now a "1:1 ratio", a kind of "what you twist is what you get" thing).  No more unnatural 90 degree bend from close to wot.  Having to twist that wide, or having (in somes cases) to regrip to reach that final 10-15 degree missing for wot was a lesser smooth driving experience for me.

Like you, I didn't had any issues at all with stock throttle tube (mostly beacause I just didn't know - remember FZ07 is my 1st bike - that full throttle sweep angle / tension could be changed (tube swap).  But when I read about it, I was just curious to try less wrist travel and to me, boom, just felt lot more natural right away, no transition time at all.  To put it simply, exactly like @Beemer said:  Not once did I feel like it was something that required getting used to.

But again, ymmv.  A bit like a mouse acceleration setting on a pc, there is no "one best universal setting", to each his own depending on a lot of factors.

Hope it helps you to better understand my "smoother and more responsive" impression!

Edited by EZrider
  • Like 4

Cheers for the explanation. I mean, if the majority of people say it's an improvement then I'd be inclined to believe this is true so maybe I should just get one and try it out.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, kylerhsm said:

Cheers for the explanation. I mean, if the majority of people say it's an improvement then I'd be inclined to believe this is true so maybe I should just get one and try it out.

Give it a try. If you don't like it worse case you'll be out less than $10.😀

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

On 9/2/2019 at 7:15 PM, kylerhsm said:

My pleasure!  And don't just believe the majority, believe especially whatever you'll feel when you'll give it a try, that is by far the best answer you'll ever get... ;)

And if you do jump the fence, by all means, let us know about your first impressions! :D

On 9/2/2019 at 10:55 PM, DewMan said:

Give it a try. If you don't like it worse case you'll be out less than $10.😀

Actually, it can even get cheaper if you dont like it!  You simply put it up for sale and for sure an FZ07 owner somewhere (they are "a few" of us in this world 😆) will be interested to buy it, sooner than later... ;)

Edited by EZrider

• Premium Member

I commute to work every day but I do go WOT from time to time when it's needed or when I want to put a smile on my face. I'm used to the stock tube for rev matching down shifts. Is this really worth it? Seems like fixing something that ain't broke. What's to be gained? Just less travel required or opening/closing the throttle, right? Basically increasing the sensitivity of the throttle feel eg. less throttle angle will now mean more applied throttle.

his face seems pulled and tense
like he's riding on a motorbike in the strongest winds

28 minutes ago, noodles said:

I'm used to the stock tube for rev matching down shifts. Is this really worth it?

Short answer - Yes

Long answer... I was at my local bike shop recently, and got into a conversation with some folks who were talking about rev matching with their MT-07. I told them that I had never even heard of rev matching until I read about it in this forum. I've owned a lot of bikes (50+), and never had the need to rev match. The engine braking on the 07 is so intense that I learned very quickly how to rev match. It made life much better but there was always the potenial that I would forget to rev match, and had downshifted one or two more gears than I realized. Everyone knows what can happen then.

By this time I had maybe 3,000 miles on my 07.  Then I got the ECU flashed by 2WDW, and basically I've never had the need to rev match again which is freaking awesome. No more accidental nose dives as well as no more fear of the rear end locking up especially mid corner-ish. I'm not sure if you have had your bike flashed, but I'm guessing not by your mentioning rev matching.

Back to the tube question... with a flash, the power delivery is so smooth and crisp that you can really notice the effect of the shorter turn throttle. It's not dramatic, but it's very real. You will get use to it in about 50-100 miles, and like I said before, it will make a fun bike just a bit more fun. It costs around $20, and takes 15 minutes to do it. Mechanically, it is very easy to do. I don't remember anyone on this forum who changed it, and then changed it back to stock because they didn't like it. I have read about people who first went with the Motion Pro version and then switched to the OEM R6 version because they wanted an even shorter turn though. Go with the one in the link above, and all will be good.

Told you it was a long answer.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, FZ07R WaNaB said:

Told you it was a long answer.

I always, always rev match on all transmissions. It saves wear on the clutch and results in a smoother transition. It also saves my brake pads by using compression to slow down gently when appropriate.

I have a tune through Flash Tune and a closed loop auto tune O2 sensor too so I wasn't looking to fix a jerky throttle, I was really asking what difference the tube makes for day-to-day driving. If it's just to more easily crank the throttle to accelerate quickly or lift the front wheel that's unnecessary to me. So this is to gain a shorter turn on the throttle? Maybe I'll give it a shot, it costs next to nothing anyway. Again it feels like fixing what ain't broke, but I have no reference to tell a difference right now

his face seems pulled and tense
like he's riding on a motorbike in the strongest winds

Hey guys,

11 hours ago, noodles said:

I do go WOT from time to time when it's needed or when I want to put a smile on my face. I'm used to the stock tube for rev matching down shifts. Is this really worth it? Seems like fixing something that ain't broke. What's to be gained?

First, not fixing what ain't broken doesn't really apply to our bike world, otherwise we would still (amongst other things) all have stock exhaust, and man would we be missing out on some extra fun factors! ;)  

Besides those extra smiles, you also gain (to my taste) smoother and sharper control of the bikes's accels / decels, including rev matching / blipping, which I find even easier now (not that it was previously difficult, but again, feels more natural / instinctive to me now).  And when I do go WOT, it's for the exact same reason as yours, no wheelies nor constant WOTing here.

10 hours ago, noodles said:

so I wasn't looking to fix a jerky throttle

Like I added yesterday in my OP, I actually do not suggest the tube swap without an ECU flash, as I think it would actually aggravate the (stock ECU fuel mapping) jerkiness of this bike imo.

10 hours ago, noodles said:

but I have no reference to tell a difference right now

Exactly where I was not even a week ago (FZ07 being my 1st bike ever) and now, I just wouldn't go back to stock throttle tube... ;)

10 hours ago, zeckrin said:

This is what I bought:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WJ7OIA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For some reason it did not fit right. When you clamp it down with the throttle plastics it has no wiggle room and is stuck. I know I was putting it on right.

That's the Motion Pro version, and it should be the right part no. (01-0094).  To my knowledge, it shouldn't matter if you have a 2019 or 2015 (or any year for that matter)

Your issue seems to me you simply didn't have enough slack / loosen enough your throttle cable before installing the new tube.  Just follow @V8titanpwr's post (https://fz07.org/thread/777/how-to-adjust-fz-07-throttle-cable/#comments), he did a great tutorial (including pics) on this exact subject.  His post actually resolved the same issue I had as in my case, fiddling on the handlebar's nut didn't gave me enough slack, I also had to adjust the one shown on his pics.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

put the yamaha one on a couple hours ago, and love it.....would hate to go back

to the stock one....I ran a 1/4 turn on all my dirt bikes for years, so this feels right....

make sure you loosen up the Throttle Body ends before trying to install it....it's takes a

bit more cable to wrap around the larger "Wheel" and you'll need some slack...assemble

the throttle grip-cables and THEN adjust the Throttle body ends....

Happy Twistin' !!

EDIT:  didn't see the above post  LOL

Edited by bugsinteeth

• Global Moderator

I want to do this but I have heated grips installed.  I am not sure how difficult it will be to remove the grip.  Perhaps I should find out. 

On 9/6/2019 at 12:56 PM, zeckrin said:

Thanks a bunch. I never would have guessed that because it really looks like it is clamping wrong

I had the exact same impression when I didn't had enough loose at first, I know the feeling! lol

Glad you were able to install it and already got to appreciate and enjoy it!  👍

And in your case, in the event that at some point you would feel like "I'm used to it now and still feel I could cut it down a bit again", well you still have the R6 OEM option (from closed to WOT, stock = 1/4 turn = 90 degrees ; Motion Pro = 1/5 turn = 72 degrees ; OEM R6 = 1/6 turn = 60 degrees)

Just sayin... ;)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EZrider said:

I had the exact same impression when I didn't had enough loose at first, I know the feeling! lol

This 10 minute mod took me close to an hour with all the fiddling around with the throttle cable to get it not to bind. I don’t know if it something to do with the clip ons but took a bit. The difference is really amazing though 😁

• 9 months later...
On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 12:51 AM, mjh937 said:

I want to do this but I have heated grips installed.  I am not sure how difficult it will be to remove the grip.  Perhaps I should find out. 

Did you ever end up removing the heated grips and installing the new tube?  How did the grip removal and reinstallation go?

Instagram: @jayparrington 

• Global Moderator
48 minutes ago, JayMT07 said:

Did you ever end up removing the heated grips and installing the new tube?  How did the grip removal and reinstallation go?

Actually removing the heated grip was easier than I expected.  I used a hairdryer to heat the adhesive and vice grips to pull the old tube out.  It took a bit of persuading but worked in the end. 

• Like 1

That's great to hear.  Hopefully mine go as smoothly. 

• Like 1

Instagram: @jayparrington 

Is the Motion Pro cable cam the same shape as the R6?   Clearly a better price, but is it the same?   

Edited by klx678

• Premium Member
cornerslider

NO, it's not the same..... To get the desired results, you need the OEM Yamaha R6 throttle tube-

• Like 2

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

Is there an OEM R6 throttle tube without the whole “grip assembly”?

I guess this is why my motion pro feels different than my R6.... who would’ve thought the “direct replacement” motion pro would be different. 

• Premium Member

This subject has been covered before. Here's the information I've given previously.

• Like 1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Premium Member

Fine, I'll spend more money I guess.

• Haha 1

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.