The MT-07 Forum

Possible Coolant Leak Location

bigity

Hi All. Just wanted to share my first trip to the dealer for some warranty work. It started when I was admiring the bike as I was approaching it from the right hand side. I was walking uphill so the bike was a little higher than me. I thought I saw a small oil leak coming from the engine side cover. Since it was under warranty, I didn't spend spend looking at it and went to the dealer a couple days later. Turns out it was a coolant leak where the cooling system adapter (that hooks up to the radiator hoses) bolts onto the right side engine cover.

They ordered and replaced the seal and all is well again. Not sure if this is a one off problem in my situation, or if others have the leak, the only reason I saw it was because it was seeping down the o2 sensor cable and onto the exhaust, collecting dust and dirt, so it was pretty visible.

What you call a adaptor is if I understand correctly the water pump,
I haven't looked at mine but they usually have a small hole at their
lowest point if it as I will look later then keep a eye out for any
drips from that hole as it is a sign that the water pump seal is
leaking, not heard of a MT doing it but worth checking just in case
the leak was from there.
Ta for the heads up.

What you call a adaptor is if I understand correctly the water pump, I haven't looked at mine but they usually have a small hole at their
lowest point if it as I will look later then keep a eye out for any
drips from that hole as it is a sign that the water pump seal is
leaking, not heard of a MT doing it but worth checking just in case
the leak was from there.
Ta for the heads up.

Thanks for jogging my memory. This repair took place a couple weeks ago and it seems I have already forgotten that details! :) Yes, the "adapter" was actually the water pump. I remember originally thinking it was just an adapter plate/cover (like a remote oil filter adapter), but yes, I do remember seeing the weep hole. This weep hole was really weird because it's not directly below the water pump, like every one of the many auto water pumps I have replace. This weep hole was at the 7:30 position. Thats how we new the pump was fine, because the weep hole was bone dry and it was leaking at the 6 oclock position. The dealer said it was a flat spot on the o-ring.

Archived