The MT-07 Forum

My FZ-07 Has a New FZ Friend - 2009 FZ6

FZ07R WaNaB

So I stuck my noise into my LBS, and there sitting on the showroom floor was a damn near new 2009 Yamaha FZ6. I've been looking for this bike for a long time. It's the model with the half-fairing (not the R model) in that most awesome darkish blue paint job. It came from an older one owner who took great care of it (it really looked new), and only put on about 1900 miles. I bought my FZ-07 there, so they gave me a really good price. After my test ride, I said Hell Yeah!

The difference between the FZ6 and FZ-07 is pretty huge. The FZ6 is 70 lbs heavier wet, has a longer wheelbase and a higher center of gravity. It has 98 hp with 47 lbs of torque with it all coming on at around 10,000 rpm. The suspension is absolutely better and that is with me having a Bitubo shock and upgraded fork springs and oil on my FZ-07.  I've done 500 miles +/day on my FZ-07 several times, and it was fine. I do believe that it would be awesome on the FZ6 as it begs to go long distance. Having said that, it doesn't have the hooligan quotient of the FZ-07, not even close. That is unless I'm somewhere above 10,000 rpm. The FZ6 does pull well enough without being in the powerband though, plus it revs so smoothly (those darn 4 cylinders)! It doesn't turn as quickly and is not as flickable which I'm sure has to do something with the 70 lb. weight difference and the longer wheelbase.

I think the combo could be a very good thing, as I can use the FZ6 as more of a tourer, and the FZ-07 as the hell raiser. Which has me thinking that the Hord airbox with the Yoshi might be happening this winter.

Time to go play on the new toy 😎

IMG_2478.JPG

Edited by FZ07R WaNaB
  • Like 1

My youngest brother had one and let me ride it. The engine felt silky smooth and the rocket like rush in power was nice. I'm pretty sure Yamaha intended for the FZ6 to be a sport touring bike of sorts so it should be the better bike for long distance riding. Stay frosty!

• Like 1

Beemer

I've always been interested in these, but after owning a CB600 Hornet (for less than 2 months because I didn't like it), I realised that small capacity 4-cyls just aren't for me. I find the power useless for where I ride (100km/h 60mph max) and especially useless for commuting (60km/h 40mph).

Sure, they rip hard when you let them scream, but that's a rare occurance unless you speed everywhere and drag race at every set of lights. The MT07 rips hard everywhere, all the time, without putting your license at risk.

I definitely know what you mean about the suspension though. The MT03 660 I own runs the same front end as the FZ6 and it's fantastic.

41 minutes ago, kylerhsm said:

Sure, they rip hard when you let them scream, but that's a rare occurance unless you speed everywhere and drag race at every set of lights. The MT07 rips hard everywhere, all the time, without putting your license at risk.

Funny you mention that as that is exactly why I'm keeping both bikes. The FZ6 has plenty of power for conventional cruising without hitting the high rpm powerband (it's there if I want to), and that's a good thing. With that half fairing, and the super smooth power and suspension, it should make a great sport tourer. I like to take long trips so that totally works for me. If you read the reviews about the FZ6 (not the FZ6R), they all pretty much call the FZ6 an all-arounder as in it's good for everything.

With regard to my FZ-07, I really think I am going for the Hord airbox, and the best thing about that is that I live within driving distance of Hord so I can get him to install the airbox, pipe, and tune it exactly to make my bike a serious hooligan.