The MT-07 Forum

RPM Bounce at idle

Surfdad

Question for all you EFI gurus.  My 2017 FZ-07 is a California model with EVAP. It has developed what I can best describe as a "bounce" in RPM when settling down to an idle. The bike is bone stock, no modifications to exhaust, engine, nor a power commander.  I have just a shade over 36,000 miles on it (I ride it a lot!).  All maintenance has been done at the 4,000 mile intervals, with the exception of synching the throttle bodies the last 12,000 miles or so.  

The symptom is as follows: coming to a stop, like at a stop sign or light, as the bike is about to stop rolling, with the clutch in or the transmission in neutral, the RPM drops to what seems like the normal idle and then for a split second the RPM increases 200 to 300 rpm's and then settles back to it's normal idle without any further issue.

It's like it bounces and then is fine.

I can NOT duplicate that bounce with the bike stationary and revving it. It also happens when warm or cold so long as the bike is rolling to a stop.  I can feel it "seat of the pants" and also watch it happen on the tach.

Any ideas as to what I should start chasing?  Maybe with synching the TB?  Thanks in advance for any and all recommendations

• Global Moderator

The TB sync could be an issue, but it's unlikely they're that far out of sync. 

Are you shifting into neutral as you stop?

it could just be you letting the clutch back out as you're coming to a stop that bumps the idle, or a faulty clutch switch

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

1 hour ago, sorkyah said:

The TB sync could be an issue, but it's unlikely they're that far out of sync. 

Are you shifting into neutral as you stop?

it could just be you letting the clutch back out as you're coming to a stop that bumps the idle, or a faulty clutch switch

Good idea, but no, I've done both neutral and clutch in with the same results.  I originally thought it was an issue with the rear caliper so was stopping in neutral with just the front brakes and then just the rear brake, neither of which affected it.  Thanks for the input!