The MT-07 Forum

Compatibility Question: FZ, XSR, and Tracer

sansnombre

Two questions:

1) Tank swap compatibility with the XSR? If I'm not mistaken, this is an easy one. Same attachment points, we just lose the plastic bits on top and to the side, correct? I like the cleaner look of the XSR. Anyone disagree or have direct knowledge of compatibility?

2) The hard one: how is the sport-touring fairing of the Tracer mounted, and can it be reasonable mounted on the FZ? I'm certain they have something of note to attach the fairing to the frame, but perhaps it's a bolt on or using one of the existing mounts. Thoughts on this? Any tracer owners can supply pictures of the mounts?

Appreciate the feedback.

Cheers.

P.S. I've been idling around the Husq shop of late looking at the Vitpilen 701 and then recently read about the Svartpilen 701. I have to take a test ride on this and compare it to the FZ. The engine on the FZ is great, so torquey off the bottom with a pipe, airbox mods and a flash. LOVE the engine, and I've owned quite a lot of bikes over the years, but the Husq is notably lighter and a big single must have better low-end torque, so I'm rubbing me chin and got that far away look . . . .

• Premium Member

See part diagrams below.

Looks like the tank itself is the same but is missing fastener tabs. It seems completely covered by the plastic fairing, which connects to the frame at the front where the FZ07's black piece connects (item #50 on first photo vs item #9 on second photo). Unclear where it attaches at the driver's seat.

The bigger problem is the many added fastener tabs on the Tracer 700's frame that are absent on the FZ07 and the relocated and reshaped seat fastener tabs. I can ask if you might be able to make it work with the ability to weld or other fabrication but I'd ask a better question: is it worth it? I'd recommend that you either live with your FZ's fairings as-is, or buy a Tracer 700 or Tracer 900 rather than try to retrofit plastics.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.b2d38671bba1e25f6d32ff2d06a37a22.png

image.png.73dcb7ab856c54afd902738bddfbe9d2.png

Spoiler

image.png.56a021170b900185efa3c51a605fed61.png

image.png.233a3372e5cc2781082178668407d0c2.png

his face seems pulled and tense
like he's riding on a motorbike in the strongest winds

28 minutes ago, noodles said:

See part diagrams below.

Looks like the tank itself is the same but is missing fastener tabs. It seems completely covered by the plastic fairing, which connects to the frame at the front where the FZ07's black piece connects (item #50 on first photo vs item #9 on second photo). Unclear where it attaches at the driver's seat.

The bigger problem is the many added fastener tabs on the Tracer 700's frame that are absent on the FZ07 and the relocated and reshaped seat fastener tabs. I can ask if you might be able to make it work with the ability to weld or other fabrication but I'd ask a better question: is it worth it? I'd recommend that you either live with your FZ's fairings as-is, or buy a Tracer 700 or Tracer 900 rather than try to retrofit plastics.

Hide contents

image.thumb.png.b2d38671bba1e25f6d32ff2d06a37a22.png

image.png.73dcb7ab856c54afd902738bddfbe9d2.png

Hide contents

image.png.56a021170b900185efa3c51a605fed61.png

image.png.233a3372e5cc2781082178668407d0c2.png

Yes, after posting, I was thinking the cost on this would be thousands . . . .

I appreciate the effort and advise.

Thanks.

On 8/23/2019 at 12:21 AM, sansnombre said:

P.S. I've been idling around the Husq shop of late looking at the Vitpilen 701 and then recently read about the Svartpilen 701. I have to take a test ride on this and compare it to the FZ. The engine on the FZ is great, so torquey off the bottom with a pipe, airbox mods and a flash. LOVE the engine, and I've owned quite a lot of bikes over the years, but the Husq is notably lighter and a big single must have better low-end torque, so I'm rubbing me chin and got that far away look . . . .

The 701 engine is a KTM 690, so it’s been around long enough to prove itself (with incremental updates through the years). It’s a good engine - for a single. You either like them on the road or you don’t. These bikes’ light weight (& decent suspension) is their main strength in my opinion. Great fun on tight twisty roads (or tracks), not so fun on a 2 hour highway trip.