The MT-07 Forum

Akrapovic carbon ti no baffle

RobZilla

Has anyone put a cat in to lower the volume with the baffle out of an akrapovic ti exhaust?

i've got the Ti (non carbon) version with the akra cat. Even with the cat and no baffle it's loud as!

Currently i'm using the db killer with 6 holes drilled out. Fairly quiet but sounds great when you open it up :)

Thanks. 

I started with drilling a couple holes. Then more holes. Then more holes until the pipes were swiss cheese. Then cut the pipes off. Now drilled extra holes in the face of it next to the pipes. It gives it the deeper thumping sound but airflow seems to be pretty shitty from the butt dyno and created some flat spots. I ordered an active tune sensor from ftecu to see how much it can help it with various holes. I think i will just buy a new baffle and leave it unadulterated.

I saw a guy used the mt09 baffle.

Another guy used a (dont quote me) 38mm pipe insert to make all the air flow through the same hole (as opposed to the 2 pipes on the silencer) and narrow the airway a bit. Seemed to work.Was curious if anyone else has tried that. I cant find a way to decrease the total dB level without compromising how it actually sounds if that makes sense. Thought the cat might help.

I want the thumping, just dont want my ears to bleed with it on 3-4 hour mountain rides. The drilling holes method i think makes it very dirty sounding. 

Edited by RobZilla
Readability.

• Premium Member
cornerslider
8 hours ago, RobZilla said:

Thanks. 

I started with drilling a couple holes. Then more holes. Then more holes until the pipes were swiss cheese. Then cut the pipes off. Now drilled extra holes in the face of it next to the pipes. It gives it the deeper thumping sound but airflow seems to be pretty shitty from the butt dyno and created some flat spots. I ordered an active tune sensor from ftecu to see how much it can help it with various holes. I think i will just buy a new baffle and leave it unadulterated.

I saw a guy used the mt09 baffle.

Another guy used a (dont quote me) 38mm pipe insert to make all the air flow through the same hole (as opposed to the 2 pipes on the silencer) and narrow the airway a bit. Seemed to work.Was curious if anyone else has tried that. I cant find a way to decrease the total dB level without compromising how it actually sounds if that makes sense. Thought the cat might help.

I want the thumping, just dont want my ears to bleed with it on 3-4 hour mountain rides. The drilling holes method i think makes it very dirty sounding. 

I'd try to find another insert (Db killer), and start over.... I drilled 4 extra 1/4" holes in mine (2 in each outlets of the Db killer). It did not effect performance at all. It sounds quiet @ low RPM, but still barks like a big-dog when I hammer it-

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

I have the snail carbon Akra. I love it. Db killer AND cyl cat in.  The system was designed to this config and should have almost zero loss of power that way. I have seen dyno charts showing an INCREASE in HP with the Db killer in, though tiny difference.

Akra uses an open cell design  ( 100CpSqI), that is at the reflection point, so does not disrupt the  waves badly. They actually have been quoted as saying they can't see why OEM cats flow so badly, as theirs works  well and for longer. It is a real working cat not a pretend. Only detrimental effect is at FULL throttle, at full flow, which doesn't happen often.

• Like 2

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...