The MT-07 Forum

What is normal idle speed for a 2016 FZ 07

poosu

I bought my bike used 2 years ago and it has always idled faster than any other bike I have owned.  1400-1500 rpm.  It really klunks when you drop down from neutral to first at idle.  Is this normal?  If not is there a way to lower the idle speed?

The clunk is normal. Annoying and unnecessary, but normal. My XSR900 was just as bad. My R3 had no clunk whatsoever. My MT03 660 has no clunk whatsoever. Blame the Japanese? 

Yeah the clunk is pretty noticeable (I’ve had worse in bikes), but it’s normal & all part of the bike’s character.

Edited by stickshift

It's normal and I like the clunk because if my display ever goes out it's the only way to know you're in 1st gear. 😅 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Beemer

14 hours ago, poosu said:

I bought my bike used 2 years ago and it has always idled faster than any other bike I have owned.  1400-1500 rpm.  It really klunks when you drop down from neutral to first at idle.  Is this normal?  If not is there a way to lower the idle speed?

Like already confirmed, the klunk is normal especially when cold.

That might be a little high for the idle though, does it always stay at that rpm? Even when at temperature? If it stays that high it makes me think the clutch switch might not be fully connected. With the switch not connected or the clutch out and  in gear the computer raises the idle a few hundred rpm. I would check to make sure this connector is fully seated, mine was not when I purchased the bike and a few rides later was plugged in fully. Its the little plug under the left side control pod on the handlebars. I think there have been a few threads about it on here, you could try and search for it to see.

87' Honda VFR 700 F2 (sold)
03' Honda CBR F4I (donated)
05' Yamaha R1 (sold)
15' FZ-o7

• Premium Member

5 things come to my mind:

1. Make sure your throttle cables are slacked at idle. Look at the pulley and be sure there's no cable tension - if your throttle was slightly engaged your idle would always be up. Cable could also be catching on something
  2. Likewise w/ clutch cable, look at the actuator arm at the top of the clutch, at rest, it should be slackened and not pulling that arm forward at all. If the clutch is pulled in just a tad idle would always be up b/c clutch is slipping all the time
  3. If you never have, synch your throttle bodies
  4. If you've done that, make sure your throttle bodies have those rubber caps on em
  5. IDK if it's just my bike b/c I tuned it, but at first start up, the engine idles at ~2000 RPM for about 20 seconds then settles in at 1100 RPM. My car does a very similar thing, I always assumed it was to get oil flowing everywhere at cold start. Does it settle itself out after a moment or is it always 1400?

image.png.2b542fb6552cd2ec80468740312ddba7.png

his face seems pulled and tense
like he's riding on a motorbike in the strongest winds