The MT-07 Forum

Yamaha MT-07 / FZ-07 - Bi-Xenon Headlight Upgrade Kit

Raayoni

So about a month ago, I decided I wanted this kit because of the looks and the apparent convenience of it: 

Want to improve the looks and light output of your Yamaha MT-07 FZ-07? Don't look further and take look at our custom bi-xenon headlight upgrade kit.

But I was living in Connecticut this summer, and my bike was in New Jersey. So while I was away, my dad installed it (his labor is a good price for letting him ride my bike). He did it over about 4 days when he got home from work, and he did come across some issues. I've heard the company has great customer service, but he's on the stubborn side and he was eventually able to figure it out himself. He did note the directions were poor and seemed incomplete. But in the end, here's the finished product. I did order the extra LED daytime running light which you see at the bottom of the headlight, but he forgot to install that. So you may notice the light at the bottom isn't LED in the pictures. I LOVE the looks!

IMG_1275.jpg

IMG_1276.jpg

IMG_1280.jpg

IMG_1282.jpg

IMG_1283.jpg

IMG_1284.jpg

IMG_1288.jpg

• Like 2

• Global Moderator

@Raayoni, that looks great.  Have you tried it at night yet?  I am curious how it works in the dark.

Just now, mjh937 said:

@Raayoni, that looks great.  Have you tried it at night yet?  I am curious how it works in the dark.

That's the plan for tonight! I'll post updates :)

• Like 1

If I may, I don't see that as being "stubborn" but rather embracing and solving the challenge oneself. This is old-school, male/dad stuff. Self-reliant and all that. Pre-cell phone, pre-www, paper maps and all.

I have a bit of it in meself as well, as my wife will somewhat angrily attest. Unless, of course, the lights go out, or the dishwasher doesn't work, or the repairman wants $500, or the car stops working, or . . . .

I'm nearly certain that many on this here forum share this trait.

You get the idea.

Cheers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sansnombre said:

If I may, I don't see that as being "stubborn" but rather embracing and solving the challenge oneself. This is old-school, male/dad stuff. Self-reliant and all that. Pre-cell phone, pre-www, paper maps and all.

I have a bit of it in meself as well, as my wife will somewhat angrily attest. Unless, of course, the lights go out, or the dishwasher doesn't work, or the repairman wants $500, or the car stops working, or . . . .

I'm nearly certain that many on this here forum share this trait.

You get the idea.

Cheers.

Yeah I get what you mean. But I've been on Home Depot runs with him many times where we walked the entirety of the store over and over looking for an item instead of just asking. That's the "stubborn" I was referring to. But for sure, he is definitely a problem solver and it's helped him get far in life!

Edited by Raayoni

10 hours ago, mjh937 said:

Check out a little ride I did to test the light. It lights up such a wide view! I'm impressed. It is also really bright, but not blinding to oncoming traffic. It scatters the light really well. The bulb is the D2H XB35 5500K one, and I still have to install the 6000K daytime running light but I don't know how much that'll change things.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
45 minutes ago, Raayoni said:

Check out a little ride I did to test the light. It lights up such a wide view! I'm impressed. It is also really bright, but not blinding to oncoming traffic. It scatters the light really well. The bulb is the D2H XB35 5500K one, and I still have to install the 6000K daytime running light but I don't know how much that'll change things.

Thanks for the video. It's appreciated.

It may just be the video but there looks to be a black hole in the lighting of the lane in front of your about 20 yards out. It looks light further to the lanes left & right right of you than it does directly in front of you. What are you seeing IRL?

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

4 minutes ago, DewMan said:

It may just be the video but there looks to be a black hole in the lighting of the lane in front of your about 20 yards out. It looks light further to the lanes left & right right of you than it does directly in front of you. What are you seeing IRL?

Yeah I noticed this too when editing the clip. I didn't see this "black hole" when I was riding. I could see really clear and far in front of me. I'll have to pay closer attention next time I go out to make sure though. Another weird camera thing is you can barely tell the difference between low and high beam on the video. But in real life it felt like an extra hundred yards of visibility!

11 hours ago, DewMan said:

First of all it's a nice looking kit and as @DewMan said, "thanks for the video", we don't get enough of them around here. I watched it myself and the light looks as you described it so it's pretty nice but unfortunately  there is that blackness in the middle. Fortunately, maybe, I think I know what's causing it. I did a little detective work and I paused your video at 0:01 second into it to see if I spotted anything unusual about the light when it was shining on things closer up, to sort of magnify it for a better look at it and I found that if you look at the top edge of the light when your handle bars are turned, started from the far right of the light and working your way to the left you will notice the light starts to be upward from the middle of the beam . That made me think that maybe the shape of the housing was causing it but when I looked at pics of you headlight it didn't have the right shape for that but I did notice something in the OEM plexiglass. IT has an angular shape molded into it, almost a "U" or "V" shape but it's not pronounced. It's my guess that that's what's causing the light to dip down and be darker in the center, I believe it's deflecting light. I would bet money that without the OEM housing you wouldn't have that problem. 

Beemer

20 hours ago, Raayoni said:

Yeah I get what you mean. But I've been on Home Depot runs with him many times where we walked the entirety of the store over and over looking for an item instead of just asking. That's the "stubborn" I was referring to. But for sure, he is definitely a problem solver and it's helped him get far in life!

Yeah, two sides to the coin. I like to fix things that are broken and resolve problems myself, but that is just stubborn. It's not "figuring it out" but rather walking until you come across the item. Thankfully I don't have that side of it - big box store, and I'm looking for the size 2 widget, first person in an orange vest gets the question. 😉

Thanks for the post.

Cheers.

And now something completely different, which kinda highlights the opposing behavior somewhat:

My wife had me buy her a Garmin Forerunner - a fitness tracker. She sends me a picture this morning of the screen showing her "actual sleep time", discounting tossing-turning activity to show "real" sleep.

It says something over 6 hours (about what I get every night), but she says: "Good to get confirmation that I'm not just imagining that I sleep like $hit."

I responded, "Yeah, good to get confirmation that you're tired. Useful."

This, for $300.

[Sigh]

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, Beemer said:

So, @Raayoni, do you see what I'm talking about, how the top of the lens is angled in that shape? I take it there's no fix for that???

Yeah I see it. But to be honest, I feel this headlight still makes the road in front of me much more clear than the stock one. I think the “dark zone” is exaggerated by the camera. So it doesn’t bother me. Maybe it would bother other people. I don’t ride at night much anyway.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Raayoni said:

Yeah I see it. But to be honest, I feel this headlight still makes the road in front of me much more clear than the stock one. I think the “dark zone” is exaggerated by the camera. So it doesn’t bother me. Maybe it would bother other people. I don’t ride at night much anyway.

lol! No doubt, anything is better than the stock light. At least the video will make more sensitive/concerned people aware of it. Stay frosty!

Beemer

• 3 weeks later...

I'm the dad that did the install.  I wanted to thank all the YouTubers that gave me some insight to different aspects of the install.  I also wanted to give some tips.

The company has really good customer service.  They're in Europe, so there's some delay.  The instructions make more sense when your done, which doesn't help when things are apart but it's why there is customer service.  The company makes the adapter plate and pieces parts from other companies.  I'm an electronics tech by trade and actually had the most issues with the electronics.  Really read the schematics when running the wires.  Some parts are extra (which throws me off), and some wires actually needed to be cut off.  The companies videos are all about the head light itself.  That's where I turned to generic youtube topics about the FZ07.  Remove all the fairings from the right side.  Don't waste time trying to fish wires through.  Exposing the frame makes it a lot easier and allows you to remove the bike's computer for even more room to get those wires through.  Some of the connectors are poorly crimped (I redid 3) and fishing can stress them out.

One part that is difficult is removing the reflector.  They want you to use brute strength with a screwdriver and pry it apart.  I had this brake caliper tool.  It looks like a brake pad with a turn screw through it.  It works so much better.  

The company doesn't tell you what size to make the hole in the rubber boot for the wire grommet.  Having a set of calipers really helps.  I ended up using a chassis punch instead of a hole saw.  It works better, and I happened to have one. 

Get the extra LED running light.  The old lights are yellowish where the new ones are blueish.  Having the miss match just looks bad.

Hope this helps,

Radd

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1