The MT-07 Forum

Ive put oil a wee bit much.. can this fix helps?

sen07

So guys, Ive put a little well maybe a lot of engine oil during my last oil change. I know theres a drain plug but its not an option cos .. Hmm I wrecked the thread last year and had to fix it at a welder shop cos im poor to buy a new oil pan.. and it fixed to an extend of time till I had a few leaks (maybe 1 or 2 drop of oil) So being a cheap bastard that i am.. I always put a bit of grey silicone gasket sealant around the drain plug and let it sit for a night before I add the fuel..works every time. 

So my question is.. can I drain some oil by loosen up the oil filter? Wouldnt do any damage or some sort? And will it stick it back? Meaning there wouldnt be oil leaking at the filter mating surface? Thanks guys

Edited by sen07
Change some words

You sure could but you'll only get a small amount, say 1/4  cup by doing so, unless you spin it all the way off and dump it out. Of course you could repeat as necessary to get the required amount out. Messy but doable. There wouldn't be any trouble with leaks, unless you do the drain plug thing again to the filter. The filter should only be hand tight.

You've let one small problem create a bigger one. I suggest you put your fears aside, do things the normal way and buy some crush washers for your drain plug to prevent oil leakage. I don't use them and mine doesn't leak so they should help you, GL!

fz07_sharer_logo.png.3fd3e4f66c84e31060f

I want to get a pack of crush washers just to have them for future oil changes. Apparently its hard to find what Im looking for. What...

Beemer

• Premium Member
38 minutes ago, mossrider said:

You sure could but you'll only get a small amount, say 1/4  cup by doing so, unless you spin it all the way off and dump it out. Of course you could repeat as necessary to get the required amount out. Messy but doable. There wouldn't be any trouble with leaks, unless you do the drain plug thing again to the filter. The filter should only be hand tight.

What he said ^^^^^^^^^.

50 minutes ago, Beemer said:

You've let one small problem create a bigger one. I suggest you put your fears aside, do things the normal way and buy some crush washers for your drain plug to prevent oil leakage. I don't use them and mine doesn't leak so they should help you, GL!

fz07_sharer_logo.png.3fd3e4f66c84e31060f

I want to get a pack of crush washers just to have them for future oil changes. Apparently its hard to find what Im looking for. What...

The shop swap the stock plug with a different ones  with a bigger 'shaft' to accomadate the fix. Believe me ive tried locally, you'll be lucky to find a crash washer even. From where I live its grey silicone or some white tape or whatever fix. I did find a shop.. but it doesnt fit. Probably buy them online once i know the correct size

59 minutes ago, mossrider said:

Will do that for now. Thanks man

I would think you could make your own drain plug seal out of a  piece of tire inner tube rubber. I made a carb intake gasket out of this and it worked fine for that on a 110 cc quad.

You could also use a hose and siphon oil out of the oil filler hole.

NRWhiteKnight

Not sure how much you paid to have the oil drain bolt fixed, but for about $75 plus shipping from yamahapartshouse.com, you can get the whole oil pan and a pan gasket. From the looks of the online fiche, the pan may come with a drain bolt, if not, it's a little over $6 and change. I'd suggest fixing it properly, then you won't have to think about different ways to change the oil, or drain some if you put too much in. If it's leaking, it's a point of failure waiting to happen. Whichever you decide to do is totally up to you and each of makes our own choices on how we fix or replace things. I'm not the most extravagant person either and I even call myself cheap (replacing a $200 plus radiator with a $100 one. Not the same as your talking but you get the idea). Good luck however you decide. :)

• Like 2

2018 MT-07 - Mods: Shorty Levers, Radiator Guard, Puig Sport Windscreen,Air box  Snorkel Removed.