The MT-07 Forum

Voltage regulator ok?

paxx

Hey guys, any risk to the voltage regulator with switching to LEDs? Years back I converted a gsxr to HID and smoked my regulator (shunt type) took the battery with it. Is the mt07 also using a shunt based regulator, if so can it handle the extra load?

• Premium Member

Seeing as how LEDs take far less  power I don't know what risk could be found using LEDs. The only issue is that flasher unit would need to be replaced with one compatible with LED bulbs/signals to resolve the "hyperflash" experienced when replacing incandescent bulbs in your turn signals. I'm running all LED lighting in my 2017 without issue . As are many others. 

• Like 1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

10 hours ago, DewMan said:

Seeing as how LEDs take far less  power I don't know what risk could be found using LEDs. The only issue is that flasher unit would need to be replaced with one compatible with LED bulbs/signals to resolve the "hyperflash" experienced when replacing incandescent bulbs in your turn signals. I'm running all LED lighting in my 2017 without issue . As are many others. 

The lower power draw is what causes the issue. The stator on the bike puts out a constant amount of energy. The stator and regulator is designed for the specific factory load of the bike. It's the job of the voltage regulator to dump the excess energy, usually in the form of heat. Some regulators are shunt type and if overloaded by say switching to LEDs or HIDs it overheats, fails and sends 60 volts to your battery which pretty much boils it dry, assuming you haven't switched to a lithium which would instead probably catch fire :). Some bikes have a switching type regulator which is much better at disapating  extra juice. I'm assuming that Yamaha must be using a switch type if no one has yet to cook a battery with these mods. 

Edited by paxx
Typo
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

I've been running all LED lights, including headlight, on an Li-Fe  battery for over a year and several thousand miles without issue. I've not heard of anyone else having issues using LEDs either.

I'm not saying it's impossible to have an issue, but from my experience I expect the odds to be low. ✌️

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

Haven't drawn an amp since my bike was converted to a race bike day one. I've removed all lighting so the only remaining draws on it are the starter and instrument cluster. Been running unmolested volt reg the whole time as well as a LiFePo4 battery since day one. After thousands of high rpm miles, generating max voltage off the stator, I've yet to have any issues.The only thing to catch fire in these past 4 years was me, twice, unrelated to the battery/regulator. 

I think we're ok. 😎

• Like 1