The MT-07 Forum

Best rear tire for commuting?

HBadger89

Hey guys. 

I am new here and to riding and I would like to your input please. So yesterday was a pretty fun/exciting day since I got to install my Akrapovic Ti on my bike. I installed this without the baffle so as you can imagine it now sounds...AMAZING. 

48513491686_eafefe5649_c.jpg

However, my thrillz were short lived after I found a screw completely lodged into my rear now flat rear tire.Which is especially frustrating considering that the tire is basically new... 

I commute Monday through Thursday on the bike for a total of 70 miles rt so I need a tire that will last. Any suggestions on a tire? The bike currently has the stock. My question is two fold. Can this be repaired like a care tire, it currently has a plug in place and seems to be holding. And if not, is there a better tire at a comparable price point? 

Truth be told I am still learning how to ride so I am perfectly happy with the grip this tire has and have no desire to run slicks. Looks aside of course. But I figured I would ask for input. 

48513491581_2ee9de0c72_c.jpg

Like I said before I am new here so forgive me if I am posting this in the wrong place. 

Thank you guys for any suggestions. 

Edited by HBadger89
Typos

bartman5impson

The Michelin Pilot Road series, now just called the Road series, is the gold standard of sport touring tires. It is consistently ranked as being the longest lasting and best performing in wet conditions. If you are looking for a new sport touring tire, the Road 5 is without a doubt the best option. It is more expensive than others but it will pay for itself in the extra mileage you will get from it.

• Like 2

Not to hijack but is there a good fair weather commuter tire that wears good in the center but is sticky on the sides for some aggressive riding? Not too worried about wet performance. 

If you used rubber cement with the sticky rope type of repair and let it dry, you'll be fine. 

I've ran MANY mc tires that way till bald through the years.

• Like 2

Got new red 2015 FZ-07 on 7/22/16!
Black 2006 Honda ST1300 53K miles.

@bartman5impson right on man thanks for the advise. I will definitely go ahead and take a peak at those?

@peteinpa well...it was pre-saturated with some brown gunk so I stuck it in the tire let it sit while I installed the pipes and then ripped around on it for 10 miles or so lol. It seems to be holding up but a shop told me that MC tires are not like car tires in that I should not run on patched motorcycle tires. So here we are. 

I think I am going to try to find someone to patch it from the inside and get some frame sliders ....thoughts? lol.

Thanks again gents/ladies.

I'm not a fan of anything liquid inside a tire. I put a can of fix a flat in a rear mc tire once and it never plugged the hole, made a mess, and ruined any chance to plug the hole.

Got new red 2015 FZ-07 on 7/22/16!
Black 2006 Honda ST1300 53K miles.

Just an opinion but I would consider the tire plug patches an emergency repair. Good enough to get you home and then some. But I would not use a plugged tire as good to go. Blowouts on motorcycle tires are just too exciting and would as soon as avoid if possible. The liquid stuff, nah, just makes a mess.

Sure, I got a plug in my Kubota tractor tire, top speed maybe 15 MPH if that.

I used Ride on with the OEM Tires. I changed the tires to the metzler because I didn't like the stock tires. When I changed the tires at the shop there was no mess. The Ride on was on the tire not the wheel.   Don't know about the other stuff...

topazsparrow

It's fine to run a motorcycle tire with a plug. I had to do the same thing on my PR4's

It might be worth mentioning that I'm getting the same mileage out of my Pilot Power 3's as I did from my PR3 and PR4's (especially pr4'S,  They were like 6000 km for some reason).

The power series a softer rubber but our bikes are lighter and use a larger tire than they really need - you can get a softer tire to last MUCH longer on this bike that you would on a 1000cc with equivalent tire sizes.

Edited by topazsparrow
  • Like 1

I just got the new Pirelli Angel GT 2's put on last weekend. They are supposed to be somewhat equivalent to the Michelins. I have only had Michelins in the past, so these are new to me. So far, maybe 50-60 miles, they feel pretty good. They have a very round profile, they feel very neutral. Does that make sense? Like they turn in well but the bike doesn't fall over. For grip they seem, to me, to be a little stickier than the Road 3's that came off. Im curious how long they will last, I got 14,000 out of the Michelins but that was bald on the complete left and center of the tire.

IMG_2359.jpg

Oh, and I had 2 plugs in the Michelins since about 3,000 miles. They wore down with the tread of the tire and I couldn't tell where they were once bald lol. I know, I know...… plugs are supposed to be temporary.

Edited by Geteup
  • Like 2

87' Honda VFR 700 F2 (sold)
03' Honda CBR F4I (donated)
05' Yamaha R1 (sold)
15' FZ-o7

• Premium Member

I commute 35 miles one way about 80% highway, 20% in town. I've had the OEM Bridgestone Battlax BT-023, a set of Pirelli Angel GT, and now the Continental RoadAttack 3. The BT-023 were stiff without great grip, the Angel GT has good grip but the center wore down fast. The Contis have worn evenly over 6,000 miles and provide great stiffness and grip. I love the Contis, I'll put these tires on the bike until it stops rolling.

• Like 2

his face seems pulled and tense
like he's riding on a motorbike in the strongest winds

1 hour ago, topazsparrow said:

It's fine to run a motorcycle tire with a plug. I had to do the same thing on my PR4's

It might be worth mentioning that I'm getting the same mileage out of my Pilot Power 3's as I did from my PR3 and PR4's (especially pr4'S,  They were like 6000 km for some reason).

The power series a softer rubber but our bikes are lighter and use a larger tire than they really need - you can get a softer tire to last MUCH longer on this bike that you would on a 1000cc with equivalent tire sizes.

I am debating getting front and rear Power Pilots for under $200 but am a little concerned about cold performance and wear. I have a short commute to work and don’t really ride on the freeway much. I also don’t ride in the rain if it can be avoided. 

topazsparrow
59 minutes ago, 1tondriver said:

I am debating getting front and rear Power Pilots for under $200 but am a little concerned about cold performance and wear. I have a short commute to work and don’t really ride on the freeway much. I also don’t ride in the rain if it can be avoided. 

I have zero regrets. They seem to be lasting well and they're much grippier. The taller profile makes them easier to tip in as well.

Cold performance will be better than any comparable touring tire - it's a softer rubber in general, but especially on the sides (dual and triple compound tires).

The pilot power's where 30% less than the Pilot Roads, so I'm okay if they don't last quite as long. Their grip on wet pavement is shocking (that's true of most motorcycle tires to be fair).

• Like 2

Even though a simple plug might've never given anyone a problem it's undeniable that a simple plug has the potential to come out, they can and they have so knowing that, you take your chances if you run with just a plug. If you decide to repair a bike tire it's much better to have it patched internally, reducing your chances of having a blow out but not eliminating them 100%. I've only had one blow out on a bike and even though it was a fairly low speed blow out @ around 25 mph I wouldn't want a repeat of it. The rear end was wildly slinging from left to right at the furthest extremes without going down. If I weren't practiced at power sliding on dirt I most likely would've lost it. I was cross steering and slamming my feet down/bracing my legs to keep it from going down. Scared the bejeebus out of me and it hurt! I hope that made you give it a little more thought. Choose wisely.

• Like 2

Beemer

19 hours ago, Beemer said:

Even though a simple plug might've never given anyone a problem it's undeniable that a simple plug has the potential to come out, they can and they have so knowing that, you take your chances if you run with just a plug. If you decide to repair a bike tire it's much better to have it patched internally, reducing your chances of having a blow out but not eliminating them 100%. I've only had one blow out on a bike and even though it was a fairly low speed blow out @ around 25 mph I wouldn't want a repeat of it. The rear end was wildly slinging from left to right at the furthest extremes without going down. If I weren't practiced at power sliding on dirt I most likely would've lost it. I was cross steering and slamming my feet down/bracing my legs to keep it from going down. Scared the bejeebus out of me and it hurt! I hope that made you give it a little more thought. Choose wisely.

Sure did lol. I am getting an internal patch tonight. Thanks. 

• Like 1

Anyone know if a shop that will actually patch the tire from the inside? I've called Mach1, Ace, Contra Costa Power sports and they've all turned me down?

Thanks everyone. 

7 minutes ago, HBadger89 said:

Anyone know if a shop that will actually patch the tire from the inside? I've called Mach1, Ace, Contra Costa Power sports and they've all turned me down?

Thanks everyone. 

I'm guessing they turned you down because it isn't 100% safe to do with a motorcycle tire and they don't want to be liable. 

Beemer

Yup, pretty much. Although I feel like a they would just have me sign a simple release of liability or something. I get it though. 

Mushroom patches work very well and permanantly ( stalk in the hole and a broad flat top that seals around the hole glued in). Most car places can do it ( many can't safely change motorcycle tyres though) and I have done tens of thousands on km on them. The will require rebalancing.

For a commuter that sort of patch is fine where you puncture was in the tread. Sidewalls are a nono.

A rounder tread will feel more neutral in day to day riding, but less "sure" when ridden hard on the shoulders.

You didn't mention what temperatures you ride in. For commuting in cold climates where the tyres don't get a chance to heat up and grip , it is a good idea to look for a tyre that works at lower temperatures. Michelin road 4's and 5's, Continentals, Some Pirellis and metzlers are skewed that way.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/12/2019 at 12:03 PM, noodles said:

I commute 35 miles one way about 80% highway, 20% in town. I've had the OEM Bridgestone Battlax BT-023, a set of Pirelli Angel GT, and now the Continental RoadAttack 3. The BT-023 were stiff without great grip, the Angel GT has good grip but the center wore down fast. The Contis have worn evenly over 6,000 miles and provide great stiffness and grip. I love the Contis, I'll put these tires on the bike until it stops rolling.

+1 on this. I got almost 12k out of my bt023s and the were hard and slick for abour 10k of those miles lol. I have 500 miles on the conti road attack 3s and am now now riding the bike harder than i ever did with the bt023s because the contis actually hold on to the pavement. Cant comment on tread life yet of course.

Years ago Bridgestone made a tyre designated BT23 ( no zero in front of the "23". They were absolute crap and just plain dangerous.  The resurrection of the "23" as a "023" added nothing (much).

The change from 023 to Michie Road 5's was even greater than I thought it would be.

Did I mention I am a bit of a Michie fanboy...

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• Premium Member
26 minutes ago, gregjet said:

Years ago Bridgestone made a tyre designated BT23 ( no zero in front of the "23". They were absolute crap and just plain dangerous.  The resurrection of the "23" as a "023" added nothing (much).

The change from 023 to Michie Road 5's was even greater than I thought it would be.

Did I mention I am a bit of a Michie fanboy...

Could I get your opinion as to whether the Road 5s are better enough to replace stock BT023s that still have plenty of tread on them (only 6k miles) for street use and just looking at it from a performance perspective please?

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.