The MT-07 Forum

A late hello

KayDee

Hi,

I'm @sorkyah's gf and he's enrolled me in an msf basic rider course for my birthday in a few months. Figured now is as good a time as any to finally start talking in here. 

I'm looking at getting the R3 I think instead of the 07, but he says this community is amazing so figured I'd pop in and say hi and introduce myself.

I've always loved motorcycles but never had an opportunity to ride on one before and my uncle got into a bad accident once that scared me. I'm hoping the class will help me learn enough to not be so frightened of them anymore because I still want to ride some day.

• Like 2

NRWhiteKnight

Welcome to the forum, KayDee. Glad to have you with us.

Good idea on the class. Since you note that you are somewhat frightened of them, I suggest that you don't buy your new motorcycle before you take the class because if you get in the class and decide riding is not for you as it still scares you (or for some other reason), then you won't have a motorcycle that you may turn around and have to sell, or have it just sitting around gathering dust.

That said, as Rider Coach, I say pick the bike you are comfortable on and that fits you, meaning that you are comfortable with how you sit on the bike (body position, how well you touch the ground, how light or heavy the bike feels to you, etc.). This is important because a bike that you are uncomfortable on will make it harder for you to ride and build your skills and confidence.

• Thanks 2

2018 MT-07 - Mods: Shorty Levers, Radiator Guard, Puig Sport Windscreen,Air box  Snorkel Removed.

Welcome to you. In UK we have an MT-03 which is the R3 class equivalent of the MT-07 (maybe not where you are, though). Best wishes for your motorcycling.

• Like 1

Just do it! 

May I suggest you consider the Honda CB500 range ( cbr500r, cb500f and the cb500x) if you are allowed as a new rider. Although heavier than the R3 ( not a lot thanks to the modern " make motorcycles as lardy as possible" movement) the 500 is betterl balanced. The motor is one of the most predictable and smooth there is ( ever). It is big enough to tour with the MT07 comfortably ( I have a 500x and an MT07 and would use the x in preference for touring because of the much longer fuel range).

Like the 07 the Honda suffers from crappy suspension, but also like the 07 is easily fixeable if you continue riding.

Don't get me wrong I like the 300cc Yammy, I just think if you have a ride partner with an 07 , the 500 will be less frustrating for you when riding together.

If you like riding, I recommend some beginner track days to improve you confidence, as it allows you to concentrate on getting it right, without the distraction of traffic.

After riding for as many years as I have , I have seen many women take up motorcycle, only to end up as better riders than their partners. Have fun and enjoy.

Please strongly consider fitting the bike to you, rather then you to the bike. I suspect, considering your partner, that is likely to happen anyway.

Edited by gregjet
mistakes
  • Thanks 1

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• Global Moderator
2 hours ago, gregjet said:

May I suggest you consider the Honda CB500 range ( cbr500r, cb500f and the cb500x) if you are allowed as a new rider. Although heavier than the R3 ( not a lot thanks to the modern " make motorcycles as lardy as possible" movement) the 500 is betterl balanced. The motor is one of the most predictable and smooth there is ( ever). It is big enough to tour with the MT07 comfortably ( I have a 500x and an MT07 and would use the x in preference for touring because of the much longer fuel range).

Like the 07 the Honda suffers from crappy suspension, but also like the 07 is easily fixeable if you continue riding.

Don't get me wrong I like the 300cc Yammy, I just think if you have a ride partner with an 07 , the 500 will be less frustrating for you when riding together.

If you like riding, I recommend some beginner track days to improve you confidence, as it allows you to concentrate on getting it right, without the distraction of traffic.

After riding for as many years as I have , I have seen many women take up motorcycle, only to end up as better riders than their partners. Have fun and enjoy.

Please strongly consider fitting the bike to you, rather then you to the bike. I suspect, considering your partner, that is likely to happen anyway.

Thnx Greg

Her MSF basic rider course is scheduled for October, and un/fortunately the states don't have the restrictions that other countries. 

We'll look into other bikes, but she kinda fell in love with an R3 at the local bike night. She wants the fairings/tank painted custom to be a burnt orange and metallic dark brown(nearly black)

Matching the bike to her smol stature won't be too much of an issue, but like you said, it may be a bit low on cruising power when we ride together. We'll figure it out, even if it means we end up with more than one bike a piece ;)

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Welcome.

Great that you are getting in and doing it right. Good luck with the bike and the big lug. 

• Like 1

If at all possible a ride on the Honda would be worth a go. My partner has been riding for over 40years and mostly 600-750cc bikes, and she fell in love with the 500 at a skills clinic.  She also road raced.

But bikes are a personal thing and what works is what works. The CBR500R has quite a reasonable fairing ( for a proddie) but still has an OK riding body position, that is better for a new rider. Plenty around at decent prices as well.  Only 5mm seat height difference ( raw . May be modified by the shape of the front of the seat).

A little note: I raced a CBR500R back along our "local" fun road on my MT07. The 2 of us left everyone else behind. The road is too twisty and narrow for the muscle bikes to be able to streatch their legs. He was flying. I got caught behind a car and had to really push to catch him before the end of the road. Closed him down, but didn't pass him. They are more of a bike than they appear.

Avoid the Indian made KTM. Faster and lighter but lots of problems ( especially fueling) for a beginner.

• Thanks 1

If you are going to think about a Honda 500, there is also the Rebel 500 (in UK at least). However, I can see it being the R3, and why not. Enjoy. 

• Like 1

Just do it! 

What a welcome~
Thanks for all the information everyone it is greatly appreciated!

The plan was definitely to take the course first and get a feel for it before even moving forward with deciding on a bike for the very reason @NRWhiteKnight said which is that I don't want to be stuck with a bike I won't use (though I know Sorkyah wouldn't hesitate to use it if it was just sitting around lol)
It makes perfect sense to get the bike that is the most comfortable. I'm really only attached to the R3 at the moment because of how it looked when I saw it that one time. I fully intend on giving different bikes a try before deciding on what to get.
My height also needs to be thought about since I'm only 4'11 and my disability largely affects my feet/legs/back so I want to take this delicately at first to make sure before committing to the expense of any bike

@robbo10 We are in the US, but with Sorkyah's help I will still keep what you suggested in mind

Thanks again for all the info everyone, I look forward to learning a lot and trying out this new experience!

Welcome and a pre congrats on whatever bike you choose. I'll say this about the R3, before I bought my FZ-07 the R3 was the bike I truly desired for various reasons but they didn't have it in stock in my area and I was told I would have to wait for months before they got one. I had to have a bike like right now so I bought my white FZ that same day instead, it was my 2nd choice for a bike. I haven't had any regrets either and it's the one time I'm glad I didn't go with what my heart desired. Looking back I think I wouldn't have liked all the high revving buzzzziness of an R3 when just cruising around and having to wind it close to redline to feel any power from it.

All this is to say that test riding other bikes, such as the Honda CB 500 that @gregjet mentioned, might make you see/feel something in another bike that you didn't before and help you to make a more educated purchase. It's always good to listen to the heart but just remember, the heart doesn't know bikes, the rump does. If you don't understand that I'm sure your bf will explain it to you. GL with whatever you decide to buy.

• Thanks 1

Beemer

• Premium Member

Welcome @KayDee!

@sorkyah and I go way back LOL. 

I'm 5'3" and my wife is 5'2" so I understand the difficulties of finding a bike that you're comfortable with. 

We started off with a CBR250R because I too fell in love with the look, and it was small enough that I didn't feel I couldn't deal with it on my own (aka picking it up if I dropped it and no one was around). I put 20K miles on in the my first year of riding, as I commuted 100 miles/day for work. My wife followed the year later and put 10K in 6 months after I purchased the FZ. 

I too struggled with getting a motorcycle because my father got in an accident when I was young. I was too naive to understand it at the time, as my urge to ride wasn't detered by it, but my mother wasn't too happy that I still wanted to take it up. 

Sorry, I'm not trying to give you my whole life story here - but I think you're on the right track. Ask questions, take classes, and never stop learning. I know a few other female riders, so let me know if we can help! I'm not on here often, so if you want to hit me up on IG, please do! @meekmoves 

• Thanks 1

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

• Global Moderator
3 hours ago, motomeek said:

Welcome @KayDee!

@sorkyah and I go way back LOL. 

I'm 5'3" and my wife is 5'2" so I understand the difficulties of finding a bike that you're comfortable with. 

We started off with a CBR250R because I too fell in love with the look, and it was small enough that I didn't feel I couldn't deal with it on my own (aka picking it up if I dropped it and no one was around). I put 20K miles on in the my first year of riding, as I commuted 100 miles/day for work. My wife followed the year later and put 10K in 6 months after I purchased the FZ. 

I too struggled with getting a motorcycle because my father got in an accident when I was young. I was too naive to understand it at the time, as my urge to ride wasn't detered by it, but my mother wasn't too happy that I still wanted to take it up. 

Sorry, I'm not trying to give you my whole life story here - but I think you're on the right track. Ask questions, take classes, and never stop learning. I know a few other female riders, so let me know if we can help! I'm not on here often, so if you want to hit me up on IG, please do! @meekmoves 

Meek is just too lazy to visit us on here

And iirc is an artist as well

@KayDee

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member

I'm not lazy - I'm just too busy out here riding in them streetzzzz

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking forward to getting to try out different bikes and see which one truly speaks to me. For now any wants I have are purely based on look because I don't know any different. I also struggle with the technical data/info side of things so none of that makes a lot of sense to me so until I start delving further, it's all about looks lol.

Just like how I really want a spyder but wont ever know for sure until I ride one to see what I really think about it outside of looks

@motomeek that is a big concern for me as well is being able to lift it should the need arise, also y'know my feet being able to reach the ground is important too haha. I gave you a follow over on IG with my business page (DogNoms) 😄

I am really looking forward to the class even though I am admittedly having hella anxiety about it. Gonna power through anyway and see where I end up decision wise after its all said and done~
Something tells me I'm gonna like it lol

Suppose I'll go poke around the forum some more.
I'm quiet cause idk what to talk about and it may not seem like it in this thread but I'm a shy bean

One thing about riding the spyder is it steers like a car not like a motorcycle. If you are a car driver, try the spyder FIRST, not amongst any motorcycle.

Motorcycles at speed countersteer. ie turn bars left to go right. Spyder and any non leaning 3 wheelers steer normally ie. turn bars to the left to go left. I spent an interesting morning chasing a friend of mine that was an international level motorcyclist up a twisty mountain. I was on my Cagiva Raptor, he on a Spyder ( he sold them in the motorcycle business). He would veer the wrong way into every corner for about 10 minutes. When we stopped at the top and then resumed, he did it again. Boy did it grip in slippery conditions though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, KayDee said:

Just like how I really want a spyder but wont ever know for sure until I ride one to see what I really think about it outside of looks

I've got an Aunt & Uncle who bought a new  a Spyder from the dealer.... their experience has it in the shop with one issue or another more than it's on the road. I'd definitely look into their dependability.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

19 hours ago, KayDee said:

I'm looking forward to getting to try out different bikes and see which one truly speaks to me. For now any wants I have are purely based on look because I don't know any different. I also struggle with the technical data/info side of things so none of that makes a lot of sense to me so until I start delving further, it's all about looks lol.

@motomeek that is a big concern for me as well is being able to lift it should the need arise, also y'know my feet being able to reach the ground is important too haha. I gave you a follow over on IG with my business page (DogNoms) 😄

I am really looking forward to the class even though I am admittedly having hella anxiety about it. Gonna power through anyway and see where I end up decision wise after its all said and done~
Something tells me I'm gonna like it lol

Suppose I'll go poke around the forum some more.
I'm quiet cause idk what to talk about and it may not seem like it in this thread but I'm a shy bean

I would suggest doing searches on any bike that looks appealing to you and I don't mean reviews from the manufacturer because they can put a 24k shine on a turd. Read reviews of owners and watch some you tube videos by owners. You have to take them all with a grain of salt because not all reviewers know bikes very well and they say some silly, inaccurate things but if you consistently see people saying the same thing about a particular bike, whether good or bad, then there's probably something to it and worth consideration when deciding what to get. E.G. Before I bought my '15 FZ-07 all the reviews of it were on the plus side. "Bike has gobs of torque", "Very quick", "Great Bargain Bike", "Wheelies Like Mad". I watched video's that confirmed what was being said. Do some good homework, confirm and you should be fine.

• Like 2

Beemer

• Premium Member

Thanks for letting me know your IG handle - followed you back :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/27/2019 at 3:57 PM, motomeek said:

Thanks for letting me know your IG handle - followed you back :)

Totes!
I need to stop forgetting to post things to it though haha... I use an auto poster for all of my galleries so i can schedule everything all at once but then forget to post to instagram by the time the scheduled posts go up :x

On 8/24/2019 at 7:49 AM, Beemer said:

I would suggest doing searches on any bike that looks appealing to you and I don't mean reviews from the manufacturer because they can put a 24k shine on a turd. Read reviews of owners and watch some you tube videos by owners. You have to take them all with a grain of salt because not all reviewers know bikes very well and they say some silly, inaccurate things but if you consistently see people saying the same thing about a particular bike, whether good or bad, then there's probably something to it and worth consideration when deciding what to get. E.G. Before I bought my '15 FZ-07 all the reviews of it were on the plus side. "Bike has gobs of torque", "Very quick", "Great Bargain Bike", "Wheelies Like Mad". I watched video's that confirmed what was being said. Do some good homework, confirm and you should be fine.

Oh yeah definitely gonna do this, i do it with other stuff too already cause the manufacturer wants to sell it and will only paint the good things.
Between that and Sorkyah's help I think everything will work out when deciding time comes c:

On 8/23/2019 at 1:45 PM, DewMan said:

I've got an Aunt & Uncle who bought a new  a Spyder from the dealer.... their experience has it in the shop with one issue or another more than it's on the road. I'd definitely look into their dependability.

Honestly my only draw to them is I like how they look so I've never made any plans to actually get one
Duly noted though, and such a shame really :c

On 8/23/2019 at 1:07 PM, gregjet said:

One thing about riding the spyder is it steers like a car not like a motorcycle. If you are a car driver, try the spyder FIRST, not amongst any motorcycle.

Motorcycles at speed countersteer. ie turn bars left to go right. Spyder and any non leaning 3 wheelers steer normally ie. turn bars to the left to go left. I spent an interesting morning chasing a friend of mine that was an international level motorcyclist up a twisty mountain. I was on my Cagiva Raptor, he on a Spyder ( he sold them in the motorcycle business). He would veer the wrong way into every corner for about 10 minutes. When we stopped at the top and then resumed, he did it again. Boy did it grip in slippery conditions though.

@sorkyah and I were discussing this the other day actually!
It makes sense that the steering would be different and it is not something I really ever thought much about before. Idk if I will ever really try one though, I like them a lot yes but it is currently purely because of looks and nothing more haha