The MT-07 Forum

Only One Header Blue??

Fiáin97

I bought the bike new almost a year ago and it now has 4000 miles on it. After installing an akraopvic carbon exhaust I started to notice one header bluing. I installed a power commander, aftermarket air filter and got it mapped soon after but it's continued to blue over the past 1000 miles or so. I understand this is caused by heat, so my concern is one cylinder is working harder than the other- it's not so much the bluing I'm concerned with as much as it's only one of the pipes doing it. I haven't had the throttle bodies synced yet though it's on my list of things to try.

Possibly linked to this issue as it started at roughly the same time- when starting the bike up a few minutes after having taken it out for a ride, it idles erratically.

Has anybody any idea of the cause, any issue or damage which could result (loss of power, engine wear etc.) and how to remedy the problem. Thanks!

R7VcqSmh.jpg

Post with 0 views.

Edited by Fiáin97

After you get them syncd. Take a fine polishing scotch brite sheet and clean off the bluing of both pipes then clean the pipes with alcohol or brake cleaner. Then watch the pipe color again over time to see if it has evened out. Looks to me like the right side cylinder is running leaner than the left. More heat, more color. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CarGuy7a said:

After you get them syncd. Take a fine polishing scotch brite sheet and clean off the bluing of both pipes then clean the pipes with alcohol or brake cleaner. Then watch the pipe color again over time to see if it has evened out. Looks to me like the right side cylinder is running leaner than the left. More heat, more color. 

Thanks for the advice I'll give it a go. One cylinder running leaner than the other is a concern. Any idea how something like that would have happened or how it could be be dealt with?

I'm considering uninstalling the exhaust and reinstalling to make sure the headers are seated correctly. I'm convinced they're fine as I used new gaskets and torqued them down to spec but it's a possibility. Tested for leaks and they were okay but may have missed something. It was only the second exhaust I've installed so room for error.

You can get a pretty good temp difference indication with one of those laser-thermometers. They do not touch, but get a temp reading from a distance. Not sure of the cost, but that would tell you how the temp difference.

Possible, semi-clogged injector? Possibly the mapping is off somehow?

14 hours ago, sansnombre said:

You can get a pretty good temp difference indication with one of those laser-thermometers. They do not touch, but get a temp reading from a distance. Not sure of the cost, but that would tell you how the temp difference.

Possible, semi-clogged injector? Possibly the mapping is off somehow?

@sansnombre I might be able to get a hold of one from a friend thanks for the suggestion. Not sure about the injector, the bike is relatively new but something I hadn't thought about if all else fails. The map shouldn't be an issue as the bluing predates the map put on it.

12 hours ago, Beemer said:

According to this an exhaust leak could also be the culprit.

stop-bluing-motorcycle-exhaust-pipes-800

Excessive heat from exhaust gases can cause a motorcycle's shiny chrome exhaust pipes to quickly discolor and turn blue. Bluing is...

@Beemer Thanks I had a read. I think I'll uninstall and reinstall this weekend with new gaskets and be extra vigilant with seating everything correctly, should hopefully eliminate this possibility.

Have you tested them for leaks yet? I would do that first for obvious reasons. GL and let us know what you find out.

Beemer

@Beemer I did but not with a long candle lighter like I've seen suggested elsewhere, I'll pick one up and try. Thanks, haven't been able to enjoy the bike since these issues appeared so can't wait to have it back on form again! I have the second service due in a couple of weeks so if all else fails I'll let the lads at Yamaha see to it and pray it's something covered by warranty.

Commuted to work earlier and the idle is now so erratic after a ride it's begun to stall (condition getting worse). I have a feeling this and the uneven header discolouration are definitely related... Decided to park it up until I address the issue, can't afford to be causing undue wear or damage. The list of things to try so far:

-Check exhaust for leaks

-Check temp of each header

-Uninstall and reinstall exhaust being careful all components are properly seated, sealed and torqued to spec (+ new OEM gaskets)

-Sync throttle bodies

Any more suggestions welcome, would love to solve this before the service.

*May get a video of the rough idle uploaded if I get the chance.

Edited by Fiáin97
  • Like 1

Yeah if it's rough idling a sync is most likely needed. Your right side sync is prob on the lean side causing it to be lean throughout the rpm ranges. You're on the right track to get it sorted out.

sansnombre: it's possible the mapping could be a little off depending on the area he's in unless he had a local dyno shop tune it. The base PCV maps from DJ's site are just a good starting point. Once I added the auto tune I was able to see how far off it was and it was pretty far off for me. Way too rich in some areas and way too lean in others.  The only thing with the PCV interface is it does not allow per cylinder mapping like the FTECU setup does, it only allows per gear mapping if you wish to set it up that way.

• Like 1

I could be wrong but logic tells me that if it has always ran good and has never had trouble with the bluing and it suddenly starts bluing  right after you put a new exhaust on then the exhaust is most likely the culprit here. Besides, they always say to start with the easiest things first.

• Like 2

Beemer

Update. I took the bike to the dealer for the 2nd (annual or 6000mile) service, told them about the issue with intermittently rough idle and different header colour. They carried out the service (just oil change and checks from the looks of the receipt- £120 💔) but failed to identify what the problem was. The mechanic said he ran diagnostics and everything came back clear and it was fine while he was out on it. I asked about it being anything mechanical (clogged injectors, something to do with the exhaust etc.), but he was convinced that the only cure was having the lean cylinder (one with the blue header) individually mapped. He finished by saying nothing more could be done from their end and call the dyno tech who mapped the bike to see if he could sort it out. He reckons the bike should be fine if left as it is and that I should ride on without too much worry. He was sound about it all and seemed pretty genuine so I left it at that.

Called Chris Elkin back- the tech who mapped the bike (top guy, really dead on and knows his stuff). He can do the individual map for each cylinder, but it would involve putting a hole in the pipe and welding an inlet for a temporary 2nd O2 sensor. Expensive and more than I signed up for- I was never too interested in performance I just wanted a nicer sounding bike with a healthy air/fuel ratio... If it comes to it I think this is where I'll be going. Why is it that so many people have done these basic mods without issue but this has turned into a mess? I don't mind having to put things right, I'd just love to definitively know so that something can be learned from the situation.

On a side note the guy at the desk in the dealership was listening in on my conversation with the mechanic and repeatedly told me that I voided my warranty, started being a real dick about it. Warranty voided fair enough but I wasn't in there for a claim so f up about it. Too preoccupied with avoiding a warranty claim when I'm just trying to have a chat and get some help and advice. I'll be going to an independent from now on for the big jobs and do the small stuff myself. Faretheewell dealership.

@CarGuy7a I asked about the throttle bodies being out of sync but the mechanic was adamant they didn't need to be done this early and that it wouldn't help rectify the problem. Despite this I would be more inclined to go with your logic and get them done just in case, before I double down and start modifying/messing things up further.

@Beemer I uninstalled the exhaust and reinstalled with new OEM gaskets, torqued everything to spec. Tested and no leaks around the headers. The problem didn't start immediately after the exhaust was put on, developed over the course of a thousand miles, so hopefully the pipe as the main cause is ruled out. I have a notion that the issue was always here, but these modifications (new pipe, air filter and map) have made it pronounced?

I'll keep updating but for now I plan on doing a throttle body sync and all failing, get each cylinder individually mapped. Thanks for the help this far everyone.

I assume the bike isn't idling any better now. Sometimes a video can help to solve problems, can you make a short video of it idling rough as you say it does? 

Beemer