The MT-07 Forum

Broken brake lever

Jessg562

So I got side swiped and my brake lever broke off, any cheap recommendations for a replacement?  Do I just buy the lever or do I have to by hardware separate? Can I get it at a store or do I have to get it online? New to motorcycles! Thanks. Any walkthrough help is appreciated! 

D3CE3EF6-BDE1-4AC7-8953-A6E4A51445D0.jpeg

Edited by Jessg562
Added a question

Just now, Jessg562 said:

So I got side swiped and my brake lever broke off, any cheap recommendations for a replacement?  Do I just buy the lever or do I have to by hardware separate? Can I get it at a store or do I have to get it online? New to motorcycles! Thanks. Any walkthrough help is appreciated! 

D3CE3EF6-BDE1-4AC7-8953-A6E4A51445D0.jpeg

Cheapest factory replacement you'll find,

Shop our large selection of Yamaha OEM parts, original equipment manufacturer parts and more online or call at 800-964-1882

But you could get an aftermarket one from Revzilla or another Internet retailer cheap and maybe faster if you chose. Also the dealer should be able to help you out more quickly altho not as cheaply if you chose to go that route, he probably has one in the shelf but you're gonna pay for the convenience. No special or additional hardware required. Easy as pie.

As far as replacing it, that big flat head screw gets turned out (there's a 10mm nut on the bottom side of it) to remove the broken lever. Put the tiniest dab of grease into the small pocket the brake plunger goes into when reassembling it and make sure the plunger is seated into the pocket correctly. Reverse order the screw and make sure the nylon nut is put back on the bottom side. Give her a test in the driveway before hitting the road and you're good to go.

😉

• Like 1

I've searched for a used one after a lowsider and found it on ebay for 15€. They sell the nearly new OEM parts cheap if they buy new tuning stuff for the bikes. 

• Premium Member

Just buy an extra OEM levers to keep on hand... The FZ-09 and FZ-07 share quite a few parts from rear brake pads/rotors, levers such as clutch and brake and handlebars...

I used to buy nice levers(unbreakables 🤣) but after few good crashes on my dirt scooter they were hard to use/keep in place... 

Personally I avoid Babbitt's...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Here you go:

https://www.amazon.com/Clutch-2014-2018-2011-2015-DIVERSION-09-15-Black/dp/B00NNL37IK

I just installed a set. No they are not equal to CRG or Panza such as I have on my Triumph, but nontheless much better than the OEM. If the retaining screw and nut are broken /lost you will need that from your Yamaha dealer. Otherwise the new levers will install using the original hardware including the bushing on the clutch side.

IMG-5550.jpg

If you are new to motorcycles and want to get old with motorcycles you might try avoiding being sideswiped or sideswiping cages, just saying.

Edited by 3crows