The MT-07 Forum

Riding Gear Waterproofing

keiver12

Wondering what everyone has used in the past for riding gear waterproofing? Looking to renew some of the water-resistance of my textile riding jacket and pants for an upcoming ride across Atlantic Canada. 

I have heard some people using silicone sprays but really have no knowledge on the topic. Any contribution would be great! 

Cheers

Edited by keiver12

• Global Moderator

Ai would invest in rain gear itself. 

Adds an additional layer, but imo worth it

Rode to Los Angeles from Phoenix in torrential downpour the entire way, only wetness I had was my gloves and boots that I thought were both waterproof

• Like 1

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

3 hours ago, keiver12 said:

Wondering what everyone has used in the past for riding gear waterproofing? Looking to renew some of the water-resistance of my textile riding jacket and pants for an upcoming ride across eastern Atlantic Canada. 

I have heard some people using silicone sprays but really have no knowledge on the topic. Any contribution would be great! 

Cheers

I had good success with the different silicone sprays, restoring the waterproofing on some raincoats. Not sure how it affects vapor transmission/breathability.   Application is easy spray on, wait a few days after treatment is dry, then light spray with garden sprayer noting the areas where water is not beading up,  and reapply as needed.

Agree with sorkyah.  If your gear is not already waterproof and showing areas of failure that requires some restoration. Silicone spray is not the answer, and new waterproofing gear would be the best choice.

1277202110_Silconewater-proofingsprays.thumb.jpg.0f711b90315e634992da86445bcf0f29.jpg

Edited by elmo

8 hours ago, sorkyah said:

Rode to Los Angeles from Phoenix in torrential downpour the entire way, only wetness I had was my gloves and boots that I thought were both waterproof

I'm with sorkyah. Spray on waterproofing will eventually rub off no matter what, and the first place it's gonna rub off is your butt. That takes about 1 trip to wear off, and we all know where water pools when we're riding.  I use a New Horizon rainsuit from Olympia. A bit pricey at ~$200 for the jacket and pants, but it has a hood and a neck gaiter for when it's really coming down. Once rode 15hrs in pouring rain and not a drop inside. $0.02

• Like 2

Take a look at this and GL!

trees-2604594_1920.jpg

Searching for best waterproof sprays? See the top-rated water resistance sprays of 2019, pros, cons, all you need to know about...

Here's what I have, I've used it a couple times now without leakage. Check out all the features.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0068FX0SA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006ZBPSCI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 1

Beemer

21 hours ago, sorkyah said:

Thanks all for the input!

I do have rain gear for when the rain really starts coming down but I like my riding jacket to be good enough to get me through a quick shower or make a quick commute in some drizzle without soaking in too much. For my long ride I will definitely have my rain gear with me but having my main riding gear at least mildly water resistance is a preference for me.

I will take a look at some of the sprays suggested!

• Like 2

Ah, well in that case I'd recommend staying away from the Nixwax stuff. I heard great things about it but I can't see where it does anything. I tried the wash-in and spray-on versions. Failed equally with both :D

Edited by shinyribs
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, shinyribs said:

Ah, well in that case I'd recommend staying away from the Nixwax stuff. I heard great things about it but I can't see where it does anything. I tried the wash-in and spray-on versions. Failed equally with both :D

Thanks for that! I was looking into nikwax but had my doubts about the wash in stuff. Will probably try looking into a good silicone spray to try

On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 11:38 AM, keiver12 said:

Thanks all for the input!

I do have rain gear for when the rain really starts coming down but I like my riding jacket to be good enough to get me through a quick shower or make a quick commute in some drizzle without soaking in too much. For my long ride I will definitely have my rain gear with me but having my main riding gear at least mildly water resistance is a preference for me.

I will take a look at some of the sprays suggested!

After reading about it's performance I'd go with the 303 on amazon.

• Like 1

Beemer