The MT-07 Forum

Got some funny looking blue/gold stuff.

WankyMcTugger

I got the same thing showing up tomorrow. I am going to run the DDC’s up front with the stock springs and the suggested fork oil. Should be all installed in a week. 

• Premium Member

Nice, I have the Ohlins fork cartridges too and love them. 

Ed

"Do not let this bad example influence you, follow only what is good" 

WankyMcTugger

Picked the bike up today. I’m not an experienced rider, and even I can tell it’s night and day. I’m a lot more confident in turns and can lean farther and go faster. Bike stays much flatter under braking. I highly recommend this to anyone. 

Just now, WankyMcTugger said:

Picked the bike up today. I’m not an experienced rider, and even I can tell it’s night and day. I’m a lot more confident in turns and can lean farther and go faster. Bike stays much flatter under braking. I highly recommend this to anyone. 

Great to hear! I am looking forward to getting mine done and ride it. 

Good to hear the change sounds like it was worth it. 

What made you go with Ohlins? Did you consider other options like Nitron etc 

WankyMcTugger

I looked at a few options. It came down to reviews, shop recommendations, and brand reputation.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice!  Thanks for posting.  I might have to tackle this same project for my XSR700 this winter.

• 2 weeks later...
WankyMcTugger

So I'm going to the tail of the dragon in early September, and yesterday I met up with the dragon group to do a last shakedown ride before the dragon trip. I've ridden with these guys before, but never on the new suspension. I don't know how to describe the difference. I was keeping up before, but it took some risks. I was one of the slower guys in the pack, and if the roads got bumpy in corners, I'd have to take advantage of the "we'll wait for everyone to catch up at the next intersection" rule.

With the new suspension this was no longer the case. I was toward the front of the pack, and, believe it or not, hanging right there with an RSV4 and an S1000RR, which were the two leaders. On the straights, of course, I had no chance, but in the turns it no longer felt like I was hanging on for dear life. It felt closer mindset-wise to a work commute ride (admittedly, while dragging knee,) than it did to a balls-to-the-wall ride on the edge of the limit where I was barely keeping up. Some of the guys who were consistently faster than me pre-suspension change now were on the receiving end of me waiting for them to catch up at the next intersection, including a GSXR1000 with a rider of 15 years’ experience on it. I can't talk up a properly setup suspension enough. It won't turn your bike into a superbike, that's not the point, but it made the bike feel like it's an extension of myself. I can correct mid-corner, I can give inputs to the bike without worrying if the suspension will get in the way of the bike listening to me, I can expect thing X to happen, and thing X will happen, time after time. It just makes the bike feel like it should have from the factory. It's not a budget bike anymore. It's a properly well-balanced twin.

Upgrade your suspension before you do anything else if you do any sort of spirited riding at all.

Edited by WankyMcTugger
  • Like 4