The MT-07 Forum

Mt07 speed info please

Powernut

Hi all went on a track day with the mt07 and noticed  max speed was clocked at 125mph down the straight 

Running 16 front 42rear

Yet I'm told the bike should do 130mph which I assume is down to drag on the bike .

Noticed rpm range revs more in 5th then it dose in 6th gear?

Next dose anyone know if the abs affects anything regards injector torque/speed? As I've removed the abs pump .due to differnert bike set up

Just now, Powernut said:

Hi all went on a track day with the mt07 and noticed  max speed was clocked at 125mph down the straight 

Running 16 front 42rear

Yet I'm told the bike should do 130mph which I assume is down to drag on the bike .

Next dose anyone know if the abs affects anything regards injector torque/speed? As I've removed the abs pump .due to differnert bike set up

Top speed is dependant on many factors. Grade, wind, size/weight of rider, aerodynamic considerations, mechanical condition of the machine itself, even type and condition of tires and brakes, bodywork or lack there-of, etc. I don't know what source 'told' you top speed is 130, that's optimistic. Assuming it were correct, a headwind of a mere couple mph could easilly cut that to 125 or less. And conversely, a tail wind would add a few mph. 

A stock fz07 goes approx 120 mph + or - a few mph depending on any and all of the above variables. In stock trim the fz will turn a higher rpm in 5th than 6th because it lacks the horsepower to overcome the wind resistance (drag) and pull the gearing. Remember coefficient of drag goes up with the square of speed. In other words double the speed-quadruple the drag. Hence a motorcycle travelling 100 mph experiences 4 times the drag as one travelling 50mph.

This chart shows the theoretical top speed in each gear for a bike with stock gearing (as well as speed per gear at various rpm). It takes into account the primary gear ratios as well as the final drive ratio. You can see the theoretical top speed of this bike with stock gearing is about 152mph, no way it has the horsepower to do it w/o modification to its aerodynamics or power. Keep in mind the numbers in this chart are absolute. For instance if you are moving 80mph in 5th gear you must be turning 6000rpm, it's a mathematical constant created by the physical gear ratio.

IMG_20190501_210940.thumb.jpg.9954a3d36c539f0da8fa0ef9770689e6.jpg

I hope some of this makes sense. You're doing well to get 125mph at a track, have fun with it.

And no, the abs has no effect on speed. More top speed requires more hp or less drag assuming all else stays the same.

Edited by mossrider
  • Like 1

Just now, Powernut said:

I've fitted it in a ccm tbh  but did manage a extra 3mph with head down (lol)

Mainly wonderd if abs would cause any problems with torque /power  because  some injector wires do run threw abs unit . Just not 100percent sure why 

https://ibb.co/r00zzMd
https://ibb.co/PrDj4mk
https://ibb.co/r46rgXj
https://ibb.co/DpZZj4X

Oh, you're one of 'those guys'. You're just asking for wind resistance, lol. 

Lower final drive ratios would make 6th gear more useful up top but may also adversely effect your shift points or make first gear too short on a track. Worth messing with tho.    

Edited by mossrider

• Global Moderator
On 7/23/2019 at 7:06 PM, Powernut said:

Running 16 front 42rear

Assuming youre showing an indicated 125 w/ 16f and 42r

The speedo will not be accurate at that speed

So it is likely you are in fact doing 130+ as the stock rear is 1 tooth larger

• Like 1

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

20 hours ago, sorkyah said:

Assuming youre showing an indicated 125 w/ 16f and 42r

The speedo will not be accurate at that speed

Runing stock mt07 gearing so speed would be right . 

• Global Moderator

You said 16/42 so I figured you dropped one in the rear

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Most speedo's I've had run about 5% faster than a GPS.

If it matters that much why not bolt your phone on it and check?

Wintersdark
On 7/28/2019 at 4:35 PM, Jonnyaust said:

Must be nice my top speed is 121. But I’m also 280lbs and not aerodynamic lmao

I get to 203kph which is 126mph on mine, and I'm 300lbs and 6'4" (mind you that's in full... err, "aero tuck" or as much as a 300lb 6'4" guy can do on a MT07), but I'm running a Black Widow 230mm exhaust, snorkel removed, and 2WDW tune.  

The exhaust and tune make a substantial difference at high RPM.

Wintersdark
On 7/23/2019 at 9:28 PM, mossrider said:

Oh, you're one of 'those guys'. You're just asking for wind resistance, lol. 

Lower final drive ratios would make 6th gear more useful up top but may also adversely effect your shift points or make first gear too short on a track. Worth messing with tho.    

Hmmm.  A question, if you will.   "Adversely affect your shift points" - What exactly do you mean by this?  I mean, yeah, you'll shift at a slightly different time, but how is that "adversely"?  

Just now, Wintersdark said:

Hmmm.  A question, if you will.   "Adversely affect your shift points" - What exactly do you mean by this?  I mean, yeah, you'll shift at a slightly different time, but how is that "adversely"?  

Depending on the track layout you sometimes end up with an up or downshift at a place that really pisses you off or makes it difficult if you're at full lean or might add a couple extra shifts per lap which adds to your lap time. Some tracks you can get by with 5 gears instead of 6. There's just a lot of variables that extra gearing can help with,,,or hurt I guess. It's just nice to minimize the amount of extra curricular monkey bidness so you can focus on riding/racing and not get tangled up and waste mental band width.

Wintersdark
Just now, mossrider said:

Depending on the track layout you sometimes end up with an up or downshift at a place that really pisses you off or makes it difficult if you're at full lean or might add a couple extra shifts per lap which adds to your lap time. Some tracks you can get by with 5 gears instead of 6. There's just a lot of variables that extra gearing can help with,,,or hurt I guess. It's just nice to minimize the amount of extra curricular monkey bidness so you can focus on riding/racing and not get tangled up and waste mental band width.

That's fair :)  I'm a purely street lad who rides like an asshole as there's simply no tracks even remotely close to me, so I tend to miss out on the track perspectives.  Desperately would love to get on a track sometime and work out my speed issues in a safer and less illegal setting!

Just now, Wintersdark said:

That's fair :)  I'm a purely street lad who rides like an asshole as there's simply no tracks even remotely close to me, so I tend to miss out on the track perspectives.  Desperately would love to get on a track sometime and work out my speed issues in a safer and less illegal setting!

Ah, in that case gearing your bike correctly so you can pull redline in top gear makes good sense. 

When I gear so I can pull redline in 6th, 150ish mph, then I'm geared too short and have to pick up extra gears going into t4, t6, T12 and of course that adds more downshifts and kills my lap times. I'm better off to leave it tall and skip 6th gear. Make sense?

There's always Castrol Raceway and Edmonton International in Edmonton or Gimli over in Winnipeg 😉

Edited by mossrider
  • Like 1

Wintersdark

Yep, but lacking a truck/trailer, that's a three hour ride before I even get there... then a three hour ride home.  Adds too many costs to something I already can't afford - would need to buy a race suit, a new helmet (despite being ECE certified, the Edmonton track has a hard-no on modular helmets), a trailer, etc. 

Castrol seems to be closed (at least, the last open track days where several years ago), but there is still another track in/around Edmonton.  Winnipeg is 13 hours away :( 

Sadly, there's a lot of motorsports organizations around for the googling, but on closer inspection they've all been dead for a few years.  I'm not sure what the deal is with that - seems there's tracks everywhere in the US, but they're spread way out here. 

topazsparrow
17 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

Yep, but lacking a truck/trailer, that's a three hour ride before I even get there... then a three hour ride home.  Adds too many costs to something I already can't afford - would need to buy a race suit, a new helmet (despite being ECE certified, the Edmonton track has a hard-no on modular helmets), a trailer, etc. 

Castrol seems to be closed (at least, the last open track days where several years ago), but there is still another track in/around Edmonton.  Winnipeg is 13 hours away :( 

Sadly, there's a lot of motorsports organizations around for the googling, but on closer inspection they've all been dead for a few years.  I'm not sure what the deal is with that - seems there's tracks everywhere in the US, but they're spread way out here. 

Because most Canadians seem to despise other Canadians having fun. It's a lesser known secret, and it seems to be getting more and more prevalent as the boomers are getting older.

I can't count the number of nearby MX tracks and trail areas that have been totally shut down or massively restricted in the Okanagan because of NIMBY assholes who can't stand to see other people have fun.

Penticton speedway is next on the chopping block.

Only reason the Area-51 track in Osooyoos is going to stick around at all is because 1) it's basically run by rich people based in Vancouver (porsche club or something), and 2) it's on native land the NIMBY's can't do shet - lord knows they've already tried though.

The state of racing in Canada is a sad thing to behold. 

Wintersdark
28 minutes ago, topazsparrow said:

Because most Canadians seem to despise other Canadians having fun. It's a lesser known secret, and it seems to be getting more and more prevalent as the boomers are getting older.

I can't count the number of nearby MX tracks and trail areas that have been totally shut down or massively restricted in the Okanagan because of NIMBY assholes who can't stand to see other people have fun.

Penticton speedway is next on the chopping block.

Only reason the Area-51 track in Osooyoos is going to stick around at all is because 1) it's basically run by rich people based in Vancouver (porsche club or something), and 2) it's on native land the NIMBY's can't do shet - lord knows they've already tried though.

The state of racing in Canada is a sad thing to behold. 

Yup.  Its like that everywhere here - it waswhen i lived on the west coast and its like that here on the prairies too.... which honestly surprised me.  We've got huge open swafts of land ideal for motorsports, but everything is shut down.

Hell, Vancouver was pushing to shut down the Indy there when I moved east.  Such a shame :(

Edited by Wintersdark

On 7/29/2019 at 9:47 PM, Wintersdark said:

I get to 203kph which is 126mph on mine, and I'm 300lbs and 6'4" (mind you that's in full... err, "aero tuck" or as much as a 300lb 6'4" guy can do on a MT07), but I'm running a Black Widow 230mm exhaust, snorkel removed, and 2WDW tune.  

The exhaust and tune make a substantial difference at high RPM.

I have a hord intake and tune with full yoshimora exhaust and weight removed from the bike.   But I could probably go fast but 121 is when the bike starts to really cheap up in speed so I don’t worry to much. Plan on jumping to a 10 anyway  

Wintersdark
39 minutes ago, Jonnyaust said:

I have a hord intake and tune with full yoshimora exhaust and weight removed from the bike.   But I could probably go fast but 121 is when the bike starts to really cheap up in speed so I don’t worry to much. Plan on jumping to a 10 anyway  

Yeah, you're not going to do much more than that.  It's more a matter of drag than anything else at that point.  Just hopping on a fully faired sportbike with the same power you'd go significantly faster.   You can eek out a couple extra HP here and there, but after getting basically any airbox/exhaust/tune to open the top end you're looking at very minor differences in top speed.  

The MT10 certainly does raise that number though... I've seen 255kph/158mph in videos, probably a bit more possible.  Of course, it's also basically doubling the horsepower :)