The MT-07 Forum

Keys left on over night , speedometer malfunction help!

Jessg562

So I left the keys in the on position over night on my daily rider, 2016 fz 07, battery completely dead. I decided to push start it and after a few tries I got it started,  but as soon as I it drops below about 2k on the rpms, it shuts off. Tried again, rode it around for about 15 minutes before I got caught below 2k rpm again. Then when I did it again just to get home. I also noticed the oil light flashed on and off a few times and the engine light was on the whole ride as well as speedometer was incorrect, saying I was going 40-50 in neutral and idle. I’m not sure if I need a new battery, or if it could possibly be something else besides just the dead battery or

Does it just need a charge ? Any tips or quick responses greatly appreciated! I’m new to motorcycles btw 🤘

• Premium Member

The depleted battery is probably affecting the display. I suggest using the proper battery charger for you battery type and let it charge overnight. If that doesn't return everything to normal, You may have damaged the battery to the point it may need to be replaced.

Good luck resolving your issue.

• Thanks 1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Premium Member

You should probably still get a proper charger, you're going to need it sooner or later.  They're a lot cheaper than the new battery.

• Like 2

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Premium Member

This happened to me on my other bike... charged the battery and it's like nothing ever happened. 

Check cyclegear - they sometimes have sales on their battery tenders

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

I wonder if you have actually switched it to off and then switched it back on at all while you were riding or since this happened.  Sometimes they reset themselves this way.  That's after sorting the battery.

Just do it!