The MT-07 Forum

Friend Trying To Talk Me Out Of 2WDW Flash

1tondriver

So my friend has been a master motorcycle mechanic for 15 years and he says I shouldn’t have the ECU flashed. He says he has seen minimal performance gains and more problems than anything. He is installing some DDC’s, M4 Slip On and Big Mouth Intake for me and I told him to pull the ECU since he had the bike apart already. 

I think I am still going to do it. Any reason to think otherwise? The bike is out of warranty and I don’t take it to dealer for work. 

Thanks 

• Premium Member

An ECU flash is by no means required. But many appreciate the changes brought to the bike with it regardless of the minimal performance gains. I've not heard of a single problem created by a quality ECU flash. 

I've been nothing but pleased with my 2WDW flash.  Removing the ECU is a 10 minute job that requires no more than removing the seat and a side cover.

Unless you're in love with the engine braking, which you can have 2WDW leave intact if you so desire, I'm not aware of anything a proper flash does that you'd not be happy with.

Good Luck in whichever direction you go. ✌️

• Like 4

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

topazsparrow

Piggyback systems can give problems if installed wrong... or at the very least make it a nightmare to troubleshoot other issues.

an ECU flash shouldn't cause any issues though - provided it's a solid flash for the correct setup. 2WDW has a great reputation, I don't see a reason to worry about it.

I can see problems with other systems though for sure. I've had a few quirks with my FTECU flash + AutoTune setup. Nothing terrible just idle surge and stuff - hard to troubleshoot though because you don't know what's due to the tune or something else

• Like 1

So the flash will cut down engine braking? That’s okay with me if it does. I think I am going to go ahead with it. I may see a little more power with exhaust and intake? Thanks guys 

• Premium Member

Here's an example of most people's response to getting a 2WDW ECU Flash.

I agree with @garyli's feedback.

I'm not affiliated with 2WDW other than being a happy customer myself.

• Like 3

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

1 hour ago, 1tondriver said:

So the flash will cut down engine braking? That’s okay with me if it does. I think I am going to go ahead with it. I may see a little more power with exhaust and intake? Thanks guys 

I flashed mine and removed the snorkel then had it Dyno'd at a local shop, I got a 4HP boost in power! Yes, the engine braking is greatly reduced, however; it seemed a little excessive, to begin with. Corning is more enjoyable because you can downshift without being lunged forward

I'm very happy with my flash. I have since added a DNA Stage 2 filter and my Graves pipes come this Wednesday. The flash was a precursor to installing a few mods, without the mods I would still have done the flash. Better power everywhere in my limited experience with the bike.

• Like 1

If your friend is referring to most of the ECU flashes I hear about people doing on their own and having a lot of trouble with I would agree with him. I'm not going to name any particular name brands as to avoid any back lash but I keep seeing how one in particular seems to give most people a lot of trouble. It can be said that that particular brand is good once everything is figured out and done correctly but I've seen way less people complain about the 2WDW flash and the few that have had any trouble seem to have their issues resolved quickly. Customer service appears to be top notch with 2WDW. I'm guessing your friend simply isn't familiar with them because I can't see why anyone would assume anything bad about them or their work if they were.

• Like 4

Beemer

On 7/23/2019 at 8:39 AM, timjh said:

I can't tell a power difference, but the smoother throttle response is obvious.

Did you pull the snorkel? 

4 hours ago, RexLeoRyan said:

Did you pull the snorkel? 

Yes.  Fact is, I've never fully explored the power on this bike.  As Rolls Royce used to say, I've found it "sufficient."

• Like 2

On 7/26/2019 at 5:42 AM, timjh said:

Yes.  Fact is, I've never fully explored the power on this bike.  As Rolls Royce used to say, I've found it "sufficient."

Well put. I just put the graves full pipes on it and explored the power on this bike today.  

I haven't stopped smiling for 2 hours. 

• Like 1

Wintersdark

Honestly, I was very dubious at first.  If you're changing the exhaust and intake, then yeah you definitely need to have the bike tuned in some way, but even if not?

I got a 2WDW tune on mine after installing a Black Widow 230mm full system and yanking the snorkel, and holy hell did it ever make a huge difference vs. full stock and vs. the exhaust/snorkel w/o the tune.  

Now, I ride like an asshole, and I absolutely explore the full power of the bike every single day, but it's more than just power.  It runs substantially better at both low RPM's launching and particularly at high RPM's.  There's some gains to the midrange too, but it's less noticable as the midrange on the MT07 is so strong even bone stock.  Throttle response feels significantly better; specifically when you're cranking it open.  Power wheelies are much, much easier.

The hard engine braking on the MT07 is due to the engine cutting fuel injection completely under deceleration.  The flash by default (you can have them leave it on if you like) disables this, so idle-level fuel injection continues under deceleration.  In my opinion, this is far preferable - you still have engine braking as normal, but because there's much less, the throttle feels way less twitchy ("on/off"ish) when you're at high RPM's.  In normal riding, it's not that big a deal, but I had some issues downshifting before a corner to be in the right gear at corner exit, because no matter how gentle I was rolling on the throttle it would go from engine braking to acceleration too abruptly, disrupting balance.  You do burn a little more fuel as you're basically idling in those brief periods you're not on the clutch but off the throttle, but it's pretty trivial.

So, yeah, I was really dubious.  A lot of people here really sing the praises of 2WDW ECU flashes, and I honestly believed it was a big case of "we've all spent money on <thing> and are determined to convince ourselves it was well spent"... but, well, it was well spent.  

• Like 3

• 5 months later...

This has helped me confirm my ECU will be reflashed by 2wdw. Now it seems I'll have to buy another ECU bc I don't want my bike down and like having a back up. Hope that's possible

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, Jay Z said:

This has helped me confirm my ECU will be reflashed by 2wdw. Now it seems I'll have to buy another ECU bc I don't want my bike down and like having a back up. Hope that's possible

The turn around on the ECU from @2wheeldynoworks is sameday they recieve it. I think its  2 day shipping. If you want to buy an ECU! Go ahead, its not nessecary in my eyes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, fzar said:

The turn around on the ECU from @2wheeldynoworks is sameday they recieve it. I think its  2 day shipping. If you want to buy an ECU! Go ahead, its not nessecary in my eyes.

I can only see a need for a 2nd ECU if it's his daily driver and can't be without it for 3+ days. Though I'm sure if @Jay Z paid for overnight return, 2WDW would overnight it back to him as well. which would minimize the the down time to 2-3 days max.

I see used ECUs on Ebay for as little as $119

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

1 minute ago, DewMan said:

Though I'm sure if @Jay Z paid for overnight return, 2WDW would overnight it back to him as well. which would minimize the the down time 

They will overnight it if you pay for it. I did it once when I was being super impatient...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Defn tune it, 👍.  If it was left stock, then the tuning gains would be minimal.  Systems with narrow band sensors don't "adapt" to performance changes (except maybe idle or cruising or wherever closed loop is enabled but thats irrelevant).  Tuning is the only way to get the performance from the performance parts.  Imagine bolting a turbo kit on and not tuning it. 🤣

• Like 1

I did the 2WDW flash with intake mods and an Akra exhaust, and the FZ pulls like a tractor at low revs. I love it. You won't be disappointed if you do 2WDW.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, Jay Z said:

No back up ECU now that I see the price and after helpful info. Thanks fellas

Your welcome, that's what the members around here do. The unintentional format is to help others, it's contagious.

• Like 2