The MT-07 Forum

My First "Cut-off" Scenario.

mikeyfz07

Hello All,

Wanted to share with you all my first REAL scenario of being cut off. I have had a few already which were like "geez what an idiot" where I had plenty of time to react. But this time, if was a "WHOA did I soak my pants!" situation. 

So I was going to get a haircut and then physical therapy and just left my house. I was cruising down my neighborhood going 30mph'ish. All of a sudden a car pulls out from another street without stopping. It was within that perfect time-frame where I would of slammed the side of the car. I quickly grabbed the clutch, front brake, then rear brakes. My rear brake locked up a bit but I was able to feather it out of a slide. After I got my marbles back in place, the lady kept driving like nothing happened. She was yapping on the phone :(

Overall, I am happy with my subconscious reaction but wish I woulda swerved instead. But pretty happy I knew what to do without thinking and SO GLAD I didn't dump my bike. 

Be safe everyone....even in your neighborhoods!!!! 

IMG_2783.jpg

• Premium Member

Always ride like you're invisible because you are.

Glad you made it through your close call. There will be many more....

I get that almost every time and I always make sure that they realized what they have done .I am not going to get in to details,but let's just say I am not very nice about it.

I get that almost every time and I always make sure that they realized what they have done .I am not going to get in to details,but let's just say I am not very nice about it.
Yeah I think I know what you mean. I went up to the window and she just looked at me like she did nothing. Morons I swear. 

• Premium Member

Last time that happened to me, I don't recall with perfect clarity but I had a scratchy throat the following day from yelling "EYES MOTHERFU.. Do You Have Them?!?!" So loud I saw a woman on the sidewalk clutch her childs ears in astonishment.

Ahhh.. the rage. :/

Everything went braap.

I don't know if I just notice it more now, but I swear I see even more people driving with a phone stuck to their head than before they passed laws against it.
Glad you came out Ok.

• Global Moderator

I was almost hit yesterday in my car by someone doing at least 20 mph in the Costco parking lot. She was on her phone of course.

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

This is where the Denali soundbomb would come in handy. I'm glad you didn't dump your bike either!

Cagers are in such a hurry and distracted these days that we must be even more watchful and prepared for stuff like this.

I usually yell at them to "Look twice for motorcycles!" after generous use of my horn.

Illegitimi non carborundum

• Premium Member

It's so bad here I almost feel like I should thank people for not pulling out in front of me.

The way I ride is that I am invisible to all cars and trucks and if they could see me they would try to run me over any way.

• Premium Member

When I come around to a car that's merging into another lane, I'll pass them up, and look to see - Yup. NO HANDS ON THE WHEEL and/or NO EYES on the road. It seems to be more and more frequent lately.

Safe riding everyone!

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

I hate cagers who don't care even after you give them the look. Sometimes I just want to punch there mirror or window out, for putting my life on the line and not paying back for it.

Glad nothing bad happened to you or your bike. I had my first "Cut-off" 2 days ago, but had a little more time to react and slowdown, I couldn't use the horn either because I was target locked on the idiot cutting another car and getting in direct path of me, that and its difficult for me to reach the horn button, can't reach!

There have been other times where I had to make a sudden hard stop, and this is the way its played out:
use engine brake
pressed both brakes at the same time, grab clutch
most pressure on the front
bike starts to slowdown
find out i am not slowing down fast enough, press harder
rear tire starts to slide, quickly ease up on the braking, reapply
come real close to slamming into traffic
then I ask myself, why I didn't pull over to the shoulder or got in between traffic, perhaps some classy lane filtering while slowing down

This kind of stuff happens real fast and you don't have time to think or plan, I guess this is where muscle memory and reaction kicks in, I wish I knew a way to train myself for likely scenarios.

I have come to understand that its not at all that people cant drive its that THEY don't care that anyone else is on the road its all about me and I don't fing care that there are other people on the road
how bout the car in the left lane that will ride 30 yards behind you, nobody behind you for a half mile, then car speeds up to get in front of you THEN EXIT OFF THE FRICKEN HYWAY
ALL I HAVE TO SAY IS THERE WILL COME A DAY WHEN PEOPLE WILL HAVE PAY FOR THE CONSIQUESES OF WHAT THEY HAVE DONE
I and many or all of you could talk stories all day and please keep them up I love the stories the greatest ones are of people that would argue all day that they don't drive like that just remember no one cares about you on the road so be fricken carfulI have been over the hood of a car before and it not great but I still ride

FOR THE LOVE OF THE GAME 

how bout the car in the left lane that will ride 30 yards behind you, nobody behind you for a half mile, then car speeds up to get in front of you THEN EXIT OFF THE FRICKEN HYWAY

ha ha ha, love it !

In city traffic I always pay attention to the gap between a car's tire and it's fender, I found this to be very helpful in making a snap decision on what that car is going to do. The faster that gap shrinks the harder they are on their brakes. The faster it grows the harder they are on the gas pedal.
I also watch the rims on a stoped cars it is easy to see them start to rotate, giving you a heads up that the are starting to move forward.

NEVER trust eye contact with a cager, most of the time they are looking right through you, and focusing on other cars. Too many times have I had direct eye contact just for them to pull right in front out me anyway.

You do or don't
Then your dead.

To order a tail tidy click
One-off-fabrication.myshopify.com

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick
In city traffic I always pay attention to the gap between a car's tire and it's fender, I found this to be very helpful in making a snap decision on what that car is going to do. The faster that gap shrinks the harder they are on their brakes. The faster it grows the harder they are on the gas pedal. I also watch the rims on a stoped cars it is easy to see them start to rotate, giving you a heads up that the are starting to move forward.

NEVER trust eye contact with a cager, most of the time they are looking right through you, and focusing on other cars. Too many times have I had direct eye contact just for them to pull right in front out me anyway.
Excellent advice! I always watch their front wheel to see if they are starting to turn.

Illegitimi non carborundum

• Premium Member
crazycracka501

I always ride with my brights on, not full proof, but even if it pisses cagers off, the point is they see me.

Make it stop!....Now make it go faster!

I hate cagers who don't care even after you give them the look. Sometimes I just want to punch there mirror or window out, for putting my life on the line and not paying back for it.
Yeah I was enraged when she just looked at me with her non-caring glare. 

• Premium Member
crazycracka501
I want that logo from your profile pic on my bike, can you give me a jpeg or other digital copy of it?

Make it stop!....Now make it go faster!

Archived