The MT-07 Forum

Dealership servicing after flash?

redwood

I just installed a Yoshimura R77 exhaust without the baffle. It sounds amazing but I'd like the bike to not run lean and from everything I've read it appears an ECU flash from @2wheeldynoworks is the solution I'm looking for.

The only thing stopping me from sending in my ECU for a flash is fear that my dealership may deny servicing my bike or messing up the ECU when servicing. I do most of my own maintenance I'd like the option for servicing when things go over my head. Side note, I'm not concerned about voiding the warranty.

So am I being paranoid? Will flashing my ECU cause issues with the dealership servicing my bike?

2wheeldynoworks
3 minutes ago, redwood said:

I just installed a Yoshimura R77 exhaust without the baffle. It sounds amazing but I'd like the bike to not run lean and from everything I've read it appears an ECU flash from @2wheeldynoworks is the solution I'm looking for.

The only thing stopping me from sending in my ECU for a flash is fear that my dealership may deny servicing my bike or messing up the ECU when servicing. I do most of my own maintenance I'd like the option for servicing when things go over my head. Side note, I'm not concerned about voiding the warranty.

So am I being paranoid? Will flashing my ECU cause issues with the dealership servicing my bike?

We have dealerships send us brand new bikes, right off the showroom floor, for ECU flashing on a daily basis! The VERY worst case scenario would that if you ever had to file a serious engine claim with Yamaha, you would want to send us the ECU back so we could flash it back to stock. All reflashing is done at no charge after the initial flash. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, redwood said:

It shouldn't, provided you have a decent service manager/mechanic and you let them know it's flashed to match the pipe and any other mods you have. They can work around it easily. My dealer buddy ignores unrelated mods when it comes to warranty work and treats the paperwork as if the bike is stock, doesn't cook the books, just doesn't volunteer any irrelevant info. 😁

• Like 1

One time at the dealership I mentioned I had a Dobeck EJK controller to a mechanic and showed it to him and the guy said "he doesn't know anything about how they worked with all the buttons/had never messed with one" but it didn't concern him anyway, we were working on something unrelated. It made me wonder if it would ever be a hindrance in the future myself. I would just call them and ask, what can it hurt?

• Like 1

Beemer

Thanks for the replies everyone! Yeah the exhaust is probably the bigger "offense" of the two. I found a seemingly reputable repair literally on the same block as my dealership so I'll have at least 2 places that may cool with it. I'll start with the dealership and see what they say.

@2wheeldynoworks I'll be sending you an email in the coming days!

• Like 1

Just chatted with the dealership and they have no issue with servicing my bike, even with the yoshimura r77. It may differ for each dealer but when I mentioned it they didn't even bat an eye.