The MT-07 Forum

Right rear chain adjuster won't budge

dankykang

So I think I messed up while doing my chain slack adjustment (which I've done a couple times already, usually when I clean/re-oil my chain). I use a combination wrench like this to do both of the nuts on each side of the adjustment. 

m3.jpg.365985e0bc39a13c61343a339d815575.jpg

However, on the right side yesterday I didn't realize I'd grabbed both the adjusting nut as well as the holding nut with the ratchet and as I was happily thinking I was just unscrewing/taking off the holding nut I was actually backing out the adjust nut as well and now the rear wheel is really out of alignment.

Right side:

m1.jpg.74eb3124d3caed29dba99010f0dc4a96.jpg

Left side for comparison:

m2.jpg.ee7c335b7acfdd3efa66190190916386.jpg

As you can see the right side is so far out that it's not even on the markings but the left side is only at the 5th mark or so. The problem is that as I'm trying to correct the right side it just won't go back in any farther than the picture. I can't screw that adjusting nut in any more and I'm on the verge of stripping the nut (I'll replace the nut at least after this). I've tried moving/shifting the wheel myself both on and off the stand to align it better and it won't move at all.

How bad is this?

My plan today after work is to loosen the adjusting nut on the left side until it's a little more even with the fully backed out right side then tightening both little by little. 

Edited by dankykang
wrong picture

Just now, dankykang said:

How bad is this?

Hmmm, I would take the axle out and drop the wheel down to take any bind off the adjusters. Then I'd mess with getting the right one freed up. The bolt threads may be rolled from twisting both nuts together, however. 

If you can't get it fixed PM me, I think I have another chain adjuster you can have for postage.

Good luck.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, mossrider said:

Hmmm, I would take the axle out and drop the wheel down to take any bind off the adjusters. Then I'd mess with getting the right one freed up. The bolt threads may be rolled from twisting both nuts together, however. 

If you can't get it fixed PM me, I think I have another chain adjuster you can have for postage.

Good luck.

Thanks man. I'll see if loosening the other side a bit helps with the jam on the right side but if not I'll take the rear off. Haven't done that yet so I hope it's not too bad lol

1 hour ago, dankykang said:

Thanks man. I'll see if loosening the other side a bit helps with the jam on the right side but if not I'll take the rear off. Haven't done that yet so I hope it's not too bad lol

Easy enough, leave the chain and everything on, just pull the axle and let the wheel sit on the floor while you unf**k the adjuster.