The MT-07 Forum

Handlebars not pointed ahead??

Bigturbomax

Bigturbomax

So, ill start by saying the bike has never been down. I noticed it after i adjusted the chain myself and am pretty sure my rear wheel isnt centered right. My bike rides perfectly straight, because bikes correct themselves rolling down the road of course. But i notice cruising at highway speed my bar/forks everything is pointed a little to the right. Can my rear wheel being mis-aligned cause this???

Edited by Bigturbomax
Multiple typographical errors haha

• Premium Member

Sounds more like your front end needs checked to make sure everything is straight/aligned correctly.

• Thanks 1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

Bigturbomax

What specifically should i be looking for in the front end? Like what would cause that? 

This is what I do and why I do it. There are so many parts that comprise the front end and they all have fasteners, fixtures, loads and binds on them but the front end must by design still be allowed to move, float, steer, brake and suspend the vehicle under varying conditions.  There are 6 pinch bolts at 4 locations, an axle, nut and pinch bolt, wheel, bearings, seals, tripple trees, steering stem and mounting hardware, handle bars and mounting hardware, controls, brake calipers, rotors etc, etc. Lots of points of potential misalignment. As long as we're not talking about crash damage or obviously bent or broken parts and assuming youre only a couple degrees outta whack, first double check that the front end is assembled correctly and everthing is tightened to spec then,

Now here's the technical part; roll the front wheel alongside a solid, fixed object like the corner of a wall, large post, column or similar object and give the handlebars a quick yank/twist in the direction you'd like it to go, yes just like your old Huffy. (in your case to the left, so place the left side of your front wheel alongside said object and twap!).

I've done this at one time or another with every single motorcycle I've ever owned. They get bumped outta alignment for various reasons.  Of course one can tear into them to see why but you'll never find an acceptable explaination, truth is they're probably always a tick out left or right and moving between the two constantly. Just wank it and go on about your day.

😉

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bigturbomax said:

Can my rear wheel being mis-aligned cause this???

Yes, so I don't know why the other comments aren't suggesting that. 

It can make the bike "crab steer" in order to go in a straight line, so the front tire is just parallel to the back tire. If the back tire isn't straight ahead, then neither will the front. 

Edited by cyow5
  • Like 1

topazsparrow

It might just be loose / misaligned bar stands.

One of mine was shockingly loose from the factory (PDI at the shop I guess).

Pretty sure you can check em without even taking anything off the bike, just turn the bars all the way one direction or the other and go at it with a socket - don't over tighten though, they're held in with rubber.

• Like 1

Did you use a chain alignment tool or the tick marks on the swing arm? The tick marks can be off a bit.

• Like 1

Here's my story, in case it fits:  in my case I dropped the bike (that's another story). The  technician stood with the front wheel between his legs and gave the bars a yank (UK yank not a US Yank...!). Just like mossrider's suggestion in effect. Problem solved. There is supposed to be some 'give' in the tightness of the relevant nut.

• Like 1

Just do it! 

Bigturbomax
4 hours ago, Grant31781 said:

Did you use a chain alignment tool or the tick marks on the swing arm? The tick marks can be off a bit.

I used a chain alignment tool first, and my rear wheel was visibly offset. So, either i have a poop chain alignment tool or i dont know how to use it as i thought it did lol. So i did it again using the hash marks and just wasnt real confindent about it. 

Bigturbomax

Ok, so i double checked my front forks. Then i double checked my hash marks on rear tire. All looks good. So........i pulled next to the curb and gave it a couple solid bumps. Road tested it and its STRAIGHT as an arrow again lol. Thanks for your help and suggestions folks. Ill keep an eye on things and will get another chance at aligning my rear wheel in a couple days anyway. Should have my new tires from revzilla on friday. So ill be pulling both wheels to take in and have tires mounted/balanced. 

Edited by Bigturbomax
  • Like 1

Bigturbomax

In retrosepct i had to do that with my XL70 and mr SR250 years ago. I gad forgotten all about it  my 600 katana had miraculously staight front end lol

You've just graduate to Gear Head level II.

Always re-check your work first,  moving from the obvious to the simplest before moving on to more involved nonsense. 

Good for you! Now treat yourself to a wheelie. 😎

Bigturbomax

Lol. Wheelies scare me. Call me a wimp if you must. 80% of my wheelies have been 5 or 6 inches off the ground just really "giving it the beans" in second gear haha. I tried to do one on purpose.....once......got the front tire a foot off the ground, scared the HELL out of me. I havent tried purposfully since then. LMAO!

Im pretty comfortably floating the front tire a few inches for quite some distance when accelerating the way the FZ begs to accellerate. For whatever reason actual wheelies give me the willies. (See what i did there?)

maybe i need a little dirt bike and learn to clutch that up. Might get used to the feeling then. For now, Im chicken. 

• Like 1

I still suck at wheelies. I'm the king of the 4 incher. My wife says it not the size that matters to her but...well we all know better.

• Haha 2

Bigturbomax
8 minutes ago, mossrider said:

I still suck at wheelies. I'm the king of the 4 incher. My wife says it not the size that matters to her but...well we all know better.

LMAO!!!!!

17 hours ago, robbo10 said:

Here's my story, in case it fits:  in my case I dropped the bike (that's another story). The  technician stood with the front wheel between his legs and gave the bars a yank (UK yank not a US Yank...!). Just like mossrider's suggestion in effect. Problem solved. There is supposed to be some 'give' in the tightness of the relevant nut.

lol, a US Yank! Hey, if that UK Yank ever needs any assistance you know a US Yank is always happy to oblige!

• Like 1

Beemer

14 hours ago, Bigturbomax said:

Ok, so i double checked my front forks. Then i double checked my hash marks on rear tire. All looks good. So........i pulled next to the curb and gave it a couple solid bumps. Road tested it and its STRAIGHT as an arrow again lol. Thanks for your help and suggestions folks. Ill keep an eye on things and will get another chance at aligning my rear wheel in a couple days anyway. Should have my new tires from revzilla on friday. So ill be pulling both wheels to take in and have tires mounted/balanced. 

Dude, I learned to do that with my old Schwinn Sting Ray. Didn't you have a bike as a child? 😅 I kid but I am a little surprised.

Beemer