The MT-07 Forum

No longer lurking...

RexLeoRyan

Greetings fz07.org,

First, thank you for all your wisdom and advice, been lurking a few weeks now and noticed quite a few people from BC in here...

Bought my first motorcycle; a used(brand new) 2017 FZ07 with 70kms on it, as is Seventy kilometers. Just about to do a second oil change on her.  Currently up to 1,440kms. I decided I wanted to do the Graves exhaust, it’s already paid for and on the way so anything nice you have to say is appreciated haha. Also went DNA stage 2 intake which arrives tomorrow.

Today I had Mike over at MAS Dyno Services flash the ECU and test the bike with stock intake(removed snorkel) and exhaust; a 4HP gain! Can’t wait to drop the exhaust and filter in to see how that tune is!

Can someone help me with the 91/94 octane debate for my area? BC is mountainous, I like the sea to sky highway. Anyone that rips here prefer one of over the other because - science? 

Looking forward to seeing more of your bikes.A1480F20-76A7-4B2B-86DE-48D74D103BCF.thumb.jpeg.ac6e7f758e2090e4a2b0a88e5f48894a.jpeg

Welcome and congrats! Nice mods and bike, BTW. The general consensus around here about gas is you use what the manufacturer suggests, 87 octane. Higher octane does nothing to help it. It's pretty much agreed upon that you don't need to use higher unless your engine is pinging or you mods actually require it. You should ask the people at MAS about that. GL and stay frosty !

• Like 2

Beemer

Thanks, Beemer. I appreciate the info, the bro over at MAS suggested 91 as that's what the tune mentions.  Noticed I'm pushing a little sludge out the tailpipe, could be because she had same gas for two years while sitting. Could be higher octane?! I'll drop it down as per your information. 

All the best!

5 hours ago, mossrider said:

Welcome and good on ya for coming out. 

Thank you Mossrider!  

• Premium Member

The black watery stuff is fairly common when using stock exhaust system- it's just condensation from cooling down mixed with normal exhaust residue... 

• Like 1

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

9 hours ago, norcal616 said:

The black watery stuff is fairly common when using stock exhaust system- it's just condensation from cooling down mixed with normal exhaust residue... 

Good to know, glad it's coming off this weekend. 

9 hours ago, bornagainbiker said:

Welcome to the forum. 😀

Thanks Bornagain! 

I learned pretty quickly that giving respect at 110 Kms/h around a corner is hard, awkward head nod instead?

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, RexLeoRyan said:

Good to know, glad it's coming off this weekend. 

Enjoy the new exhaust- I fitted Graves Exhaust on my FJ-09(Tracer900)... I highly recommend the install be done with rubber gloves and wipe the exhaust down 124654678 times- finger prints baked on to TI is not coming off vs stainless steel headers... 

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker
5 hours ago, RexLeoRyan said:

Thanks Bornagain! 

I learned pretty quickly that giving respect at 110 Kms/h around a corner is hard, awkward head nod instead?

There are definitely a few situations where the awkward head nod is called for. 😄 

• Haha 1

Give Respect To Get Respect   https://jeff-galbraith.pixels.com/

21 hours ago, RexLeoRyan said:

Thanks, Beemer. I appreciate the info, the bro over at MAS suggested 91 as that's what the tune mentions.  Noticed I'm pushing a little sludge out the tailpipe, could be because she had same gas for two years while sitting. Could be higher octane?! I'll drop it down as per your information. 

All the best!

If your man said the tune requires 91 octane with your new pipe I would go with that. If any trouble with that then get back with him for a good analysis. 

• Thanks 1

Beemer

25 minutes ago, Zeus said:

A fellow redtail! Sweet bike, welcome.

Yessir! I was initially after the "Orange 'Feet'" 2019, but the 2017 redtail popped up on craigslist, and I'm confident everyone would acknowledge that I had to buy it! 2 years old with 70kms on it. $4,000 less than the MT-07 and I still got to break her in.  After talking with some fellow bikers, the consensus was that light coloured wheels were a pain in the butt. 

44 minutes ago, RexLeoRyan said:

Yessir! I was initially after the "Orange 'Feet'" 2019, but the 2017 redtail popped up on craigslist, and I'm confident everyone would acknowledge that I had to buy it! 2 years old with 70kms on it. $4,000 less than the MT-07 and I still got to break her in.  After talking with some fellow bikers, the consensus was that light coloured wheels were a pain in the butt. 

When it's the one, it's the one.  I'm actually planning on painting the wheels.  I've contemplated sliver, gold, or bronze.  All I pain to keep clean except for bronze.  I think red would look mint with any of those colors though

• Premium Member

Welcome!

• Like 1

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

10 hours ago, Zeus said:

When it's the one, it's the one.  I'm actually planning on painting the wheels.  I've contemplated sliver, gold, or bronze.  All I pain to keep clean except for bronze.  I think red would look mint with any of those colors though

I have to digress a little, the light colored wheels were SIIIICKK, props to the bros with them. I just ended up with the black and I've seen some bikes here that have the "YAMAHA" in the wheel, I personally love that look!+