The MT-07 Forum

Anyone else think USD$26k+ is too much for production bike?

DewMan

• Premium Member
img.jpg?id=5d23555a2a0ab627f43a3354&w=40

Yamaha 2020 YZF-R1M features next-generation R-Series styling, sophisticated electronic control, enhanced braking and...

It's got lots of nice track specific features.. but I'm thinking for that much  money you can build something better.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

Ask Ducati...lol

I'd be willing to pay a premium for a track weapon, if I had the resources and I could use most of the performance.

That said, i'm not fond of the ever-increasing prices needed to pay for electronics to control super-powered bikes.

I think this is why bikes like the FZ/MT line are so popular. Great performance for a reasonable price.

I say all of that with both an MT07 and an S1000RR in my garage. 😅

Edited by stache
  • Like 2

For the bike having basically what appears to be all the bells and whistles one could dream of and more then... Perhaps not too expensive.  Especially if you are going to be doing legit racing that could be a career, etc and not just a "weekend warrior".  As a personal use bike on the street, then it's quite expensive.

• Like 1

Harley and BMW get $25k+ for bikes all the time and don't even have a reputation for holding together all that well. For a state of the art Japanese sport bike?....I guess the price isn't too far out of line from that perspective. But yeah, that's a lot of coin for two wheels. 

• Like 1

I'll bite. I come in from the other side however.

Just like any other hobby a person can go as crazy or remain as frugal as they desire. Some folks drop big bucks on a custom rifle for hunting or competition; others pick an of the shelf Savage and are perfectly happy. Custom fishing rods or off the rack sporting goods store bought? Huffy from Walmart or top o the line Trek? $2 paper kite or $5,000 drone? All these things perform similarly on a certain level to a point. Wanna push to the limit, we'll now you're gonna run into issues. 

I think the options we enjoy now are wonderful. Full on R1M @ $26g for the afficianado of wretched excess with the coin , OR, a standard R1 for $17g for the discerning buyer on a budget, or a used 2010 R1 for a couple G's? Pick your poison. On top of that if you wanna play with 5 axis ride by wire you'll never touch that on your own in your shop for what you can buy from any OEM. 

Look at it this way. A chevy chevette and a chevy corvette both save you from walking. With the help of technology one speaks to your soul, due to its absence the other your wallet. Buy an FZ07 or R1M your pick.

😊

Adendum:  As for price/performance/technology; the $27,000 Yamaha is an absolute bargain compared to a similarly equiped top of the line Corvette at $129,000. The vette will depreciate more than the full cost of the bike in less than a year, costs more to insure and ten times as much to maintain. Both walleye your vision, slam your ass shut and make your panties wet but one leaves enough left over to buy a house too . Win. Win.

Edited by mossrider
  • Like 3

• Premium Member

Might as well buy the MT-10 SP version... Same if not near identical electronics(6 axis witch craft stuff) as the R1 and has electronic suspension... Spend for a tune and exhaust you got a weapon...

• Like 3

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

26k is a lot for a bike so I'd say it would either have to be someone's dream bike and they just don't care about the money or they have a lot of money and don't care about it either. Personally, I would pay 26k for this bike before I would that YZF-R1M but that's just me. 

• Like 1

Beemer