The MT-07 Forum

MT07 Left Switch Upgrade

kylerhsm

4 hours ago, bugeyes said:

Do you know if the year model for the 07 matters, mine is a 2015 made 2014?

According to bike bandit, the switches and harnesses are the same.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, shinyribs said:

So, yep! It works. Just gotta add that green wire and pull the horn wires through and you're golden. Thank you again, kylerhsm, for getting the ball rolling on this!

Awesome, thanks for including the additional information for others.

In summary, it's easier to just use the MT03 switch if you can get a hold of one, but otherwise the R3 switch isn't too difficult to rig up if you can do some basic soldering. I really liked your idea of soldering the pink/black and pulling it through.

• 3 weeks later...

I ordered a MT03 switch from Japan to install on my XSR700.  I didn't realize how much deeper (below the bar) the housing for this switch is.  I've installed a lower/narrower bar on my XSR that I love, but it won't work with this switch due to tank interference (can tell by just looking at it).

PM me if anyone is interested in purchasing a brand new MT03 switch (Part # B04-H3972-00).  

On 8/7/2019 at 11:22 PM, Toei said:

I ordered a MT03 switch from Japan to install on my XSR700.  I didn't realize how much deeper (below the bar) the housing for this switch is.  I've installed a lower/narrower bar on my XSR that I love, but it won't work with this switch due to tank interference (can tell by just looking at it).

PM me if anyone is interested in purchasing a brand new MT03 switch (Part # B04-H3972-00).  

Can't believe I missed this. Damn!

Who else wants to sell an MT03 switch?

• 5 weeks later...

I finally got around to installing the MT-03 switch and it really is a worth while upgrade. No more pressing the horn by accident. Its just has a much better switch arrangement. One thing I have noticed though is that now I can operate the turn signals without the key in the ignition. I don't know if it did that before the swap or not. I double checked the pins and every thing looks correct. All the switches work as they should. I was just wondering if anybody else has experienced this.

Update: Ok, I must have had a brain fart. I had the key turned to the parking mode. 🤨

Edited by rushdewalt
  • Haha 2

First off, thank you kylerhsm for this great OP! 

Although Fz07 is my first bike, I did try 6 other bikes since (and still prefer out FZ 😁) but imho , our beloved 07 has the worst left switch disposition of all the other bikes I've tried up to now and that mod (left switch upgrade) has since been in the back of my mind, but nothing more.  Now thanks to you, it's whthin grasp with all your detailed infos and now on my top 3 next "to do" mod list!  Winter is long here, so I now know what I'll do with that spare time ;)

Just one quick question for those who went with the MT03 switch, does it have a tactile feedback (a "click") for  the flasher's switch ?  Tried a few bikes like that and loved it since you're a 100% sure that you turned on/off the flashers without ever having to look on the dashboard at all, as opposed to  our FZ It did happen on some very few occasions thinking I turned it off and/or flashed and it actually didn't.  To some might seem like a small detail, but to me it's a security hazard that could potentially have heavy consequences, for example having the left turn signal still on (while thinking it's off) and crossing an intersection, where a car on the opposite lane wants to turn left, sees my flasher thinking I'm also turning left on my side, and... 😱...  It didn't happen, and I wanna keep it this way, hence the "clicker" feedback I would like to have on the flasher's switch :)

On 9/8/2019 at 11:14 PM, EZrider said:

Just one quick question for those who went with the MT03 switch, does it have a tactile feedback (a "click") for  the flasher's switch ? 

Yes, it has a very nice click to it. It's so easy to operate the flashers without looking and you know exactly when you've turned them off so you don't have to check at all.

• Thanks 2

On 9/13/2019 at 8:15 AM, kylerhsm said:

Yes, it has a very nice click to it. It's so easy to operate the flashers without looking and you know exactly when you've turned them off so you don't have to check at all.

Thanks for the confirmation, appreciated :)

Now I can already hear my wallet complaining... again... lol

• 3 weeks later...

Three months on and this is still one of the best little mods I've done to the bike. If you're going to keep your MT/FZ07 for a while, I HIGHLY recommend it.

• Like 1

Thank you for posting this. I will more than likely do this in the near future after scuffing up my left switch when i low sided awhile back.

• Global Moderator

I just looked at an R3 at the dealership and the left switch pod was almost the same as ours (no blank, but the horn button was in the same place).  I will be curious what the MT-03 switches look like for the US market. 

On 9/7/2019 at 8:58 PM, rushdewalt said:

I finally got around to installing the MT-03 switch and it really is a worth while upgrade. No more pressing the horn by accident. Its just has a much better switch arrangement. One thing I have noticed though is that now I can operate the turn signals without the key in the ignition. I don't know if it did that before the swap or not. I double checked the pins and every thing looks correct. All the switches work as they should. I was just wondering if anybody else has experienced this.

Update: Ok, I must have had a brain fart. I had the key turned to the parking mode. 🤨

My turn signals turn on without the key. I don't like that feature. It has drained my battery

• Global Moderator

If you have the key in the lock position they won't but in the acc position they will

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

When I lock the fork  and remove the key the turn signals stay blinking unless I turn them off.  I always thought this was a design flaw. I found out the hard way.

Edited by scat2me

• Global Moderator

There are 2 positions for lock

One allows the signals the other doesnt

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Mine is a 2014. It has a lock poition which is one position from "all the way".   If yours is the same, 'all the way' is into 'parking lights' position. Any help?

Just do it! 

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, scat2me said:

Looks like this part B9T-H3972-00-00  is now available in the States. Babbits has it but they want $20.00 for shipping

I'm guessing that's because you guys finally have the MT03 (or have it soon). Might be a while before second hand ones start popping up.

• Global Moderator

I wish I had thought to look at the motorcycle show where I saw the MT-03, but from photos online it looks like the North American model has the same switch placement as we do.  I did notice the R3 has changed to the same as us.  If you are looking for the horn to be in a different location this might not be the correct part. 

The part number is different. I looked at Images on Google and it looks like the horn button is on the lower left.

mt-03-2020-7.jpg

Edited by scat2me
mistake