The MT-07 Forum

Judge My driving

Rush

Hello everyone,

I got my FZ07 a couple of months ago and I've fallen in love with it. I don't have any experience on big bikes and I am currently learning how to ride properly. I'd like to hear your thoughts on my driving style. You can check this video here for reference: 

I know that I am making mistakes but I am trying to improve. Feel free to go hard on me and drop your suggestions. I need to hear the truth so I can improve.

Thanks in advance.

Grant31781

Find a track to ride on like that. Too aggressive for the street especially with all those blind corners.  Also wear a jacket before you get hamburger arms.  

• Like 3

• Premium Member

Clickbait

SPAM

Still haven't watched it 😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

topazsparrow

Other than the nearly empty gas tank and pretty trash wheelie at 33 seconds in, looks good to me.

• Haha 1

@Beemer Thanks for your suggestions friend. Indeed my driving is a little bit too much for a public road. I am always losing control of myself on this baby.

@norcal616 Lol what clickbait and spam mate?

@topazsparrow Empty tank makes the bike turn easier and faster. Just a tip for your next ride. The wheelie at 33 sec was indeed trash :D

• Like 1

Honest assessment.  Skills are good/above average for a "beginner".  Beginner in Greece might be a far different rider than beginner in US where you can literally attempt this kind of riding from your first day ever on a bike with zero skills.  I expect that you have a year or more on a moto prior to this bike/video and at least an instruction class or two. 

The shift down to first gear early in the video threw me as I wouldn't expect to see the need for that, so wrong gear selection (maybe).  It's hard to see the slope angle so perhaps it was a steep slow section.  Minor thing.  Also later in the video did you get some rear wheel chatter from downshifting to a low gear?  Sounded like it but could really tell.

Some of your line selections through the curves were questionable.  Were some of the roads new to you?  You looked hesitant on braking and line selection at times which could lead to target fixation/mistakes.

Riding style is (overly) aggressive.  Which likely means that you are riding near the limits of your skill set.  Personally I try and ride well below my skill level on the street to ensure that I have a good deal of "cushion" ie: caution if needed.  There are a few roads that I will let loose on which are out of heavy residential areas and less traveled.  I'm also very familiar with them so line selections, etc are not something that I have to think about.  There is a "high" rate of motorcycle deaths in my county (usually 6-10 per year ~20-25 in state) County Population = ~200k.  So I'm a bit cautious.  For Instance: The last death was due to an impatient driver (cager) overtaking on a no-passing and blind hill and hit the motorcyclist head on trying to save a few minutes on their commute to work, so caution is a must around here.

My advise would be to practice your skills at a lesser speed, become very familiar with the roads that you enjoy riding, then you can pick up your speed / aggressiveness in small increments to stay well within your limits.  Also getting the front wheel up is fun, but isn't necessary for every corner exit and 50m of straight road. 😉

Side Note:  The exhaust sounds great and are you using a quickshifter? sometimes it appears so, and others not.

Edited by Zephyr
  • Like 1

Hello @Zephyr and thanks for your in-depth judgment.

Indeed I have 1-year experience on a 125cc bike. Then I decided to move to MT07.  The shift to first gear was unnecessary but I really love the torque that this bike makes at the first gear so I am shifting down whenever it is possible just to have some fun.

This road was completely new to me so I should probably follow your advice and go softer on routes that I don't really know. However, I feel like that I didn't push the bike to its limits considering that I always have enough space to brake effectively.

The rear wheel chattered as you noticed because I braked and shifted down aggressively at the same time. I am doing that sometimes to brake faster mainly because I am used to driving without an ABS. I don't know if this is right or wrong but I feel more comfortable with this riding style.

Regarding my lines, I will agree with you that I need some practice but you don't really have choices when you are riding on a public road. I am just trying to stay as far as I can from the opposite direction. 

Also, I am not using a quickshifter. I am just kicking in the gear sometimes without using the clutch. I know that this sounds strange and destructive for the bike but in fact, if you do it the right way you will be able to upshift faster and more smoothly. Note that you can't use this technique to downshift.

***Sorry for my mediocre English but I am not a native speaker.

Edited by Rush
grammatical errors and wrong formulations
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ok guys so I listened carefully what each one of you said and I tried to implement them in my driving style. So what do you think about this one?

***Don't judge me for not wearing a jacket. It's 40 degrees right now in Greece. I just can't wear it***