The MT-07 Forum

Butt Pocket Seat

rfmueller

The “Cup Your Butt Seat”

Hi, my name is “Ray”, and I have a tender butt.  (Pause for reply)  It’s been like that since birth.  Falling on it as a youth resulted in days  of being on the butt respirator.  If you suffer from tender butt and haven’t found a comfortable seat for your FZ07, then this article may be what you have been looking for.  You may be able to address your embarrassing tender butt anonymously by reading this article.

Other riders have experienced good results with the Yamaha Comfort seat; not me.  The ASTech custom gel insert; not me.  The Airhawk Air Seat; not me.  A piece of gel in a liner; not me.

If you’re like me, you have a sore butt after only about 1/2 hour of riding.  Well, now there’s the “Cup Your Butt” seat design, by yours truly; me.

Here you go:

The solution is simple:  Cut some quilt batting the shape of your stock seat, excluding about 3" from wide back and 5" the narrow front.  You’ll need about 25 layers.  Then, layer by layer, cut them a tad shorter on the wide end by about 1/8” each; in other words, each layer gets shorter than the prior later by about 1/8".

Put a nice ½” gel pad under it and make sure it is about ½” longer than the bottom layer of the quilt bats, on each end.  You now have a graduating slope of padding sitting on a gel pad.  It slopes from lower to higher from back to front.  Put it in a liner made of leather or whatever you have or like.

Now here’s the part you have to get:   Place the liner with the padding about  1/3 to 1/2 the distance forward on your seat.  That’s right.  You have some bare stock seat showing.  (gasp!)  The part of the seat that is showing, slopes down and towards the front.  Your home made seat cushion slopes backwards.  When the stock seat slope and the home made seat are combined, you have a pocket for your posterior; the one slopes forward while the other slopes backward.  Put in a prostate channel if you'd like.  AND, you no longer have to hold yourself backwards in the seat with your legs since the seat isn't trying to slide you forward.

Sit in it and pack it down.  Wiggle around a bit.  Get used to it.  The batting stands very high, but packs down with weight.  Once you’ve gotten the hang of getting settled in the right spot, it cups your butt, dispersing your weight more evenly over your butt and thighs between the stock seat and your newly made seat pad.  

From the attached pictures, you can see that I used an old Airhawk air pad liner with the air bladder removed.  It’s fastened down to the seat with poster board putty.   (I might replace it with a home made leather liner to get rid of that zipper).  It stays put very nicely and can be adjusted very easily.  Slide it to the front or the rear. Whatever works for you.  I can ride for about 5 hours before pain begins to dominate my thoughts.  Happy riding.

20190702_203902.jpg

• Like 3

Very good. Similarly, I have made a pad from foam layers which incorporates a slot down the middle, and is shorter than the stock seat. My aim has been to support the sit bones, and the buttocks must not be scrunched up at the back - an essential gain from yours. I don't think enough ergonomic thought goes into seat design, except that the 'scoop' seats seem to have gone.  That said, we are all different.

Just do it! 

What are y'all talking about? The seat on my MT-07 is fine. Maybe you need to look into a custom seat?

Edited by 3crows

13 hours ago, 3crows said:

What are y'all talking about? The seat on my MT-07 is fine. Maybe you need to look into a custom seat?

Did the OP mean for an FZ only? I see he said FZ and not MT unless he was being general about it.

Beemer

As  I said, we are all different. I would prefer the task of building my own seat mod rather than risking money on  a custom seat that I could not try before I buy. 

Just do it! 

On 7/6/2019 at 4:55 PM, 3crows said:

Reread the post: I've already purchased a custom seat. It was no help. The post is for FZ or MT. The seats, to my knowledge, are pretty much the same. The reason for the difficulty is most likely related to personal build. I have much less padding on my rump and have long legs. There are only a few that have posted that have as much difficulty with seat comfort, but they're out there.

• Global Moderator

I'm one of them

Though I have a lot of padding, the extra weight negates it. 

I'm looking into making a completely new seatpan and seat design along the lines of what you've outlined here with the help of a new local friend that does custom motorcycle and horse saddles 

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Global Moderator
On 7/9/2019 at 3:00 AM, robbo10 said:

Hope you will let us know how that one progresses, sorkyah.

I'll try

My schedule is kinda full over the next month, and I dailydrive the bike so i can't just drop it off with the shop for it to be done. 

I'm hoping to have it by the end of august

• Like 1

Bigturbomax

This is a clever idea. Good thinking! Glad you found a solution the works for you

I consider that some springs like in a saddle would help.  I keep looking at saddles but getting one fitted is such a faff.

Just do it! 

• Global Moderator

Just an update

I have new seat pans in hand thanks to @DewMan

Turned out my oem seat pan was actually cracked

Thank you @rfmueller for sticking this though in my head

Gonna drop em off with the maker tomm or sunday

All that trouble when all you need is a piece of sheepskin cut to fit the seat. It's what they use in hospital for bed soars.

3 hours ago, ATL Steve said:

All that trouble when all you need is a piece of sheepskin cut to fit the seat. It's what they use in hospital for bed soars.

Did you ever sit on a wet sheep skin?

Wintersdark
On 7/22/2019 at 6:51 PM, ATL Steve said:

Yeeeeeeah, that's not gonna do it for me.  I had a sheepskin cover for my old sportster, and it was absolutely horrific in any kind of wet weather.  It also got really dirty, really quick.  Finally.... Maybe just being me, I'm a really big guy and while my ass is well padded, as @sorkyahsaid above, my weight tends to negate it, and the sheepskin cover just didn't provide enough support and padding.

• Like 1

Added 30mm composite foam and recovered... $25 where I am.

Kept original cover so could revert, but so far feels great.

75182.thumb.jpg.ad44bb3f41d91d075dc019c91cf7e337.jpg

Edited by mickba
  • Like 2