The MT-07 Forum

Chain Maintance

Bob 007

The last three bikes I have owned had ether shaft or belt drive , so I am a little behind on maintaining these modern o-ring chains .

I been using Belray chain lube . The book says to clean the chain with solvent before lubing ? Some of you may have an easy way of cleaning the chain ?

I use this and have had great results:  Amazon

Maxima 70-749203-3PK Chain Wax Ultimate Chain Care Aerosol Combo Kit, (Pack of 3)

I use DuPont chain degreaser, then hit the chain with a grunge brush, wipe down, and then use DuPont chain wax. Works well for me.

20190531_171206.jpg

6 hours ago, 208MT07 said:

I use DuPont chain degreaser, then hit the chain with a grunge brush, wipe down, and then use DuPont chain wax. Works well for me.

20190531_171206.jpg

Problem solved , I found the DuPont products at Walmart $7.00 a can . Also a grunge brush .

• Like 1

I also use the DuPont products. Work better or at least as good as anything I have found. The Dupont chain wax stays on the chain and is very low-fling. I use a grunge brush also on the same shelf at Walmart with then DuPont degreaser.

And while on the subject, I do try to support local and independent businesses but sometimes Walmart has the best product and at a good price. 

Edited by 3crows

I've had better success with the tirox 360 brush than the grunge brush. I've also been using Maxima chain cleaner, but may switch to ipone chain cleaner after watching a comparison fortnine did not too long ago. As far as lube, I've been using Amsoil chain lube since I get a deal on it, but I have nothing to really compare it to so I can't say if it's better/worse/thesamebutmoreexpensive haha.

• Premium Member

Chain maintenance and oil brands are totally up to you... We could spend days debating which is best... 

Y'all should see my chain at almost 19k miles- never been cleaned/scrubbed with brush/cleaner... Just a light coat every few wks...over winter I will use a screwdriver to scrape the outside links off... looks dirty as heck but still running strong, only adjusted chain 3(?) times... 

The only chains I will totally go nuts with cleaning and care are my dirt bike chains which are totally different than street bike chains... 

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• 2 weeks later...

I've also been using the maxima kit.  What's your guys' take on the mileage interval?  I've read up that 500 is ideal, but honestly my gut is telling me that 1k is fine