The MT-07 Forum

FZ07 vs MT09

bruceyfz

I've owned my FZ07 for 1 year and recently an absolute steal came up on an 2018 MT09 with under 300 miles. I wasn't planning on upgrading so soon but I couldn't resist the deal. I ended up selling my FZ and I AM DEVASTATED. In a perfect world, I would keep both but no space to store both and not enough money to insure both! 

After riding them one after another, I can confidently say I MUCH prefer the rumble of the 07. Something about that twin noise gives me goosebumps everything. I also prefer the throttle response with my EJK to the stock MT09, which is still a little jumpy in standard mode. If my 07 had ABS and riding modes, I probably would've kept it. Curious to see if anyone else has ridden the two and prefers the 07 to the 09!

FZ07 copy.jpg

ALSO: if anyone is interested in an SC project conic in matte black (located in Toronto, Canada) let me know! If this isn't allowed here I will delete it (not enough points to post in buy/sell yet)

IMG_0555 copy.jpg

I went from an XSR900 to an MT07 and also much prefer the 07. It's far more nimble, has much better stock fuelling, and the sound is to die for. The XSR900 has an Akra Ti vs my MT07 with an Akra Carbon and there's really no contest. The MT sounds good all the time and pulls with a visceral thump.

The only place the XSR900 was more fun was on high speed (+100km/h) roads. And the slipper clutch was awesome.

Both great bikes, but as an every day bike you can't beat the MT07 (mine has ABS).

• Like 1

• Premium Member

The CP3 motor is better, the CP2 motor needs some revisions to be a better motor than the CP3-

CP3 motors pull off idle in a nice linear feeling vs split sec instant TQ hit of the CP2... 

the FJ/FZ-09 is more nimble/stable vs the FZ-07... 

Most people don't realize the CP3 motors have an "electronic throttle/stepper motor that drives the throttle bodies" vs the ole cable system found on the CP2 motors...

People who think the CP3 is jerky/twitchy need to give it time for the body to learn your riding the electronics not the mechanicals of bike... there is a few tricks to soften up the throttle but only good if one has a pre 2017 bike... 

I cannot choose a bike just by the way it sounds- it's pointless...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

19 hours ago, norcal616 said:

the FJ/FZ-09 is more nimble/stable vs the FZ-07... 

To say that the FJ-09 (or even the FZ-09) is more nimble than the FZ-07 is ludicrous. More stable yes, more nimble, no way.

And maybe you don't care how your bikes sound, but for a lot of people (myself included), the sound of a bike has a big part in how enjoyable it is to ride. And if you ride for the joy of it, sound matters. It's one of the reasons the FZ-07 is more succesful than it competitors. Every time I open the throttle on my MT-07 I smile and get a good feeling from the awesome noise it makes. That just wasn't there at all with the CP3.

• Like 1

topazsparrow
38 minutes ago, kylerhsm said:

To say that the FJ-09 (or even the FZ-09) is more nimble than the FZ-07 is ludicrous. More stable yes, more nimble, no way.

And maybe you don't care how your bikes sound, but for a lot of people (myself included), the sound of a bike has a big part in how enjoyable it is to ride. And if you ride for the joy of it, sound matters. It's one of the reasons the FZ-07 is more succesful than it competitors. Every time I open the throttle on my MT-07 I smile and get a good feeling from the awesome noise it makes. That just wasn't there at all with the CP3.

having owned an FJ-09 and FZ-07 at the same time and rode them back to back for a few weeks to decide which to keep... I can attest that stock for stock, the FJ-09 might actually be more nimble than the FZ-07 with stock suspension + Tires.

That being said, the suspension on the FJ-09 is lightyears ahead of the FZ-09 and the FZ-07. It was extremely well planted. I ended up getting rid of the bike because it toured so well it was actually boring (despite the engine being crazy good).

I can't speak the FZ-09's nimbleness, but I don't imagine it's toooo far off the 07. It's heavier but more upright and has wider bars. basically the same tires and fork geometry too. The pogo sticks on the front and back are trash though.

Edited by topazsparrow

I wanted an 09 really bad and wasn't interested in the 07 at all. The 09 was strong and the engine felt great, but I didn't like the ergos and the handling at all, especially the turn in. I rode the 07 and just loved it, and yeah,  I'll admit the exhaust note is addictive! The triple just sounds like any other multi cylinder to my ear. I'd be curious to a FZ/MT style bike using the 1000cc  p twin out of the Super Tenere. I swear there's a market for liter twin naked bikes. If Yamaha doesn't do it with the S10 engine I'd like to see Honda use the Africa Twin platform as a sumo :)

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, kylerhsm said:

Can't really hear sound as I was born deaf but from my perspective hearing sound is not important as the other senses... Yes the little ole FZ-07 is fun once I turned it into an HP-07(Hordpower airbox)... The CP3 engine is paradox but it's a brilliant little gem that keeps me riding... 

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

It is the motion in all its aspects of the 07 that gives me joy. Some good vibes too, but sound is nothing to me. (An electric it seems might suit me well....)

Just do it!