The MT-07 Forum

US vs EU Maintenance Intervals

br4nd0n

Why are the maintenance intervals for the EU every 10,000 km after the first interval whereas the US has it every 6,000 km?

Links are straight from Yamaha's EU and US websites based on the 2017 model as a middle ground.

EU (owner's manual)
1000 km (600 mi)
10000 km (6000 mi)
20000 km (12000 mi)
30000 km (18000 mi)
40000 km (24000 mi)

US (owner's manual)
1000 km (600 mi)
7000 km (4000 mi)
13000 km (8000 mi)
19000 km (12000 mi)
25000 km (16000 mi)
31000 km (20000 mi)

Edited by br4nd0n

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker

Good question--IDK.  But I can tell you that the Canadian intervals are the same as the US intervals.  Definitely a mystery to be solved.

Give Respect To Get Respect   https://jeff-galbraith.pixels.com/

Yam must read these things so hopefully they will be along shortly.?.....

Just do it! 

I sent an email to Yamaha UK to see if I can get any answers. I'll post if I get a response and maybe someone else in the meantime may have some ideas as to why there is such a gap.

Well, no luck as this is their response.

"We can advise that USA is a different market and climate to Europe,  therefore they have different recommendations for servicing.

We would advise to follow the service recommendations for your market/area of residence or alternatively contact your local dealer or distributor."

• Premium Member
48 minutes ago, br4nd0n said:

"We can advise that USA is a different market and climate to Europe,

Are they saying that we're harder on our motorcycles in the USA than they are in Europe? Perhaps it's the availability of hot arid desert locations that you're not going to find in Europe? Or am I being a geographically ignorant American and I'm missing a known desert in Europe?

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

I don't know, none of this really makes sense unless there is something physically different with the EU motors than the US versions, but even then it doesn't explain why ALL of the service intervals, including non-motor related, are different.

• Premium Member

Lawyers, avg market ownership, govt inspection, emissions regs, everyone wants a piece of pie, fluids(gas,oil, etc) quality...  

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

The manufacturer has to adjust for the worst scenario. North America has a much larger range of climate and conditions than Europe proper. Having traveled through Europe though hardly an expert, nonetheless, North America is very much different. This easily explains differing service intervals, use your judgement and you will be fine. Not being ethnocentric, but America is not Europe, not even close, good or bad, this is not Europe. I was in Phoenix the day the earth stood still and Boeing and Airbus had to adjust their performance charts so their products could operate due to the temperature exceeding the performance charts in the POH. I have been in Alaska north of the Arctic Circle and still under the red, white and blue, and stood in Key West in 100% humidity and freaking loved it. No, this is not Europe.

Edited by 3crows

stickshift

Australian service intervals are the same as Europe, and we have wide climatic conditions similar to the US.