The MT-07 Forum

2018 shock IS an upgrade for 2015-2017 bikes

Bigturbomax

Nice I have about 4,000 miles on my bike with the stock bt 023 tires and was seriously considering buying a new set of tires because they just did not feel good, but if this shock is that much of an improvement I might just pull the trigger on one of those.

edit - I just bought one for $45 on ebay that had 77 miles

Edited by zaw
  • Like 1

Bigturbomax
54 minutes ago, zaw said:

Nice I have about 4,000 miles on my bike with the stock bt 023 tires and was seriously considering buying a new set of tires because they just did not feel good, but if this shock is that much of an improvement I might just pull the trigger on one of those.

edit - I just bought one for $45 on ebay that had 77 miles

Nice! Let me know how you like it once you get it installed. 

The bike should not bounce like it does and I shall consider this mod.  I have a Honda Rebel too - a bike also at the cheaper end of the market - and it behaves really well. 

• Like 1

Just do it! 

Bigturbomax
7 minutes ago, scat2me said:

Will it fit my 2017 FZ07 ?

Yes. Bolts up just like the original. 

Bigturbomax
1 hour ago, scat2me said:

Babbitts shows the 2017 FZ 07 and the 2018 XSR 700 uses the same shock . I thought they would be different.

I didnt notice he said XSR. I am referencing specifocally the 2018 MT07 shock with rebound adjuster. 

4 minutes ago, Bigturbomax said:

I didnt notice he said XSR. I am referencing specifocally the 2018 MT07 shock with rebound adjuster. 

1 hour ago, scat2me said:

Babbitts shows the 2017 FZ 07 and the 2018 XSR 700 uses the same shock . I thought they would be different.

Oh I thought the XSR also got the upgraded shock, didn't realize the new mt's got a rebound adjuster. Ah well, offer stands

• Like 1

I never adjusted mine from day 1 and haven't had any "major" problems with mine although I should adjust it for a little more stiffness. If I ever go to buy a new rear shock I will most definitely consider this option, thanks for being a guinea pig and posting this, lol! 

• Like 1

Beemer

In the UK, ithe'18 costs £350 + fitting. Only another £150 for the Ohlins listed by Yamaha....... 

• Thumbs Down 1

Just do it! 

20 hours ago, Major_Tom said:

Oh I thought the XSR also got the upgraded shock, didn't realize the new mt's got a rebound adjuster. Ah well, offer stands

Thanks

Bigturbomax
2 hours ago, robbo10 said:

In the UK, ithe'18 costs £350 + fitting. Only another £150 for the Ohlins listed by Yamaha....... 

Dang. I had no idea it was that expensive in the UK. In the US it's $274 for the '18 shock and Ohlins is $600. So it makes more fiscal sense here. But it sounds like in your position Ohlins is obviously superior for a small difference in price. 

Bigturbomax

UPDATE-im still happy i tried out this shock.

Ive played a little with the rebound adjuster and found for my weight and riding about 2/3rds to max rebound is about the sweet spot. Ive got about 500 miles on the new shock now. I feel way more in control of the bike now with the reduction in bounciness. Now im even more keen to test out some budget improvements for the front end. Ive actually knocked about 3/8ths inch off my chicken strips on both sides of the rear tire since i put this shock on. Im just not as spooked about really leaning it over now. 

• Like 2

Yamaha made some changes to the front end with the 18 as well. Maybe there is something there for you. It is supposed to be stiffer, more "sporty". 

Just do it! 

• 2 weeks later...

I am having DDC’s and preload adjustable caps installed installed this weekend with 5w oil. Want to do a shock next and I am considering the 2018 shock. At half the price of some other better options I am hoping it would be a decent enough upgrade. 

I think I am going to order the K-Tech instead. For a little more money I am hoping to get better overall performance. 

Edited by 1tondriver

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got around to installing this, it really is a big difference from the previous. Bike handles bumps much better and feels way more planted.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I called Yamaha corporate 2-3 months ago about putting the 2018 shock on my 2017 FZ 07 and they said it wasn't interchangeable. Did it bolt up with no problem ?  What part # did you use ?    I figure if I call Yamaha corporate and get another tech, I might get a different answer, do you think ?  Otherwise I would go with a Hagon shock from U.K., which is 300 British pounds + shipping to the States.

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, jeffster said:

I called Yamaha corporate 2-3 months ago about putting the 2018 shock on my 2017 FZ 07 and they said it wasn't interchangeable. Did it bolt up with no problem ?  What part # did you use ?    I figure if I call Yamaha corporate and get another tech, I might get a different answer, do you think ?  Otherwise I would go with a Hagon shock from U.K., which is 300 British pounds + shipping to the States. 

I don't believe you're ever going to get Yamaha Corporate to ever tell you to use anything other than the same OEM parts that your bike shipped with, whether they are completely interchangeable or not, due to liability issues. Pretty much any brand name aftermarket shock, with the proper spring for your weight, will be miles better than a stock FZ/MT-07 shock  of any year. 

But It's your bike so do whatever you feel is right for you. 😀✌️

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

I tried to interest Yamaha in OK-ing a different rear tyre profile: mine is still standard....!

Just do it! 

Sorry, perhaps I didn't make my meaning clear enough in my post.  I meant I would like to use the 2018 Yamaha shock in my 2017 FZ 07, but a Yamaha corporate tech told me they weren't interchangeable.  So my question to bigturbomax is obviously it worked, but did it require modification or did it bolt right up?   And what part # did you use when purchasing it?   My 2nd choice would have been the Hagon shock, because it appears to be the least expensive aftermarket shock.  But I feel that for my fairly casual riding,, the 2018 shock will be enough improvement to satisfy me.  If you look at eBay, it is full of 2015-2017 Yamaha OEM shocks, but very few 2018-2019 shocks, meaning that the improvement must be substantial enough that most riders of 2018-2019 bikes are not considering upgrading them.