The MT-07 Forum

Wanna pull the trigger on Black Widow, but...

rylark

I'm afraid it's going to be way too loud, even with the DB-killer in. If I had to put the volume sound of the stock exhaust, I'd say it's a 4/10 and a 6/10 is pretty much what I'm looking for when it comes to volume.

Though Akra TI is what I find most beautiful, it honestly almost sounds like pure stock with the db-killer in, and I can't see myself ditching 1100€ for an exhaust. Does anyone here run a Black Widow with the DB-killer in that can comment on how loud it gets ? 

Thinking on buying the 200mm  + blue tip

The Akra ti with dB killer is louder than stock, mostly at low revs. I’d actually say it’s spot on 6/10 loud... Try finding a used one, it will save you a good chunk of money.

8 minutes ago, stickshift said:

The Akra ti with dB killer is louder than stock, mostly at low revs. I’d actually say it’s spot on 6/10 loud... Try finding a used one, it will save you a good chunk of money.

I've seen quite a few videos of it with the DB-killer in, and it honestly sounds just like stock. The sound could be badly represented I guess, take a look: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcBGFK5xuFY&t=95s

Edit: On the other end, just found this video: https://youtu.be/YYgUX_alE4Y?t=29

Now I have no clue what to believe in, lmao.

Edited by rylark
additional info

Video clips don’t always represent the sound of well. I upgraded the stock exhaust on my bike with an Akra ti. The sound is beautiful - not loud enough to annoy neighbours or require earplugs on the highway Ike some other exhausts.

I’m cheap so I bought second hand, they are available and you’ll get a great quality part for a good price.

Just now, stickshift said:

Video clips don’t always represent the sound of well. I upgraded the stock exhaust on my bike with an Akra ti. The sound is beautiful - not loud enough to annoy neighbours or require earplugs on the highway Ike some other exhausts.

I’m cheap so I bought second hand, they are available and you’ll get a great quality part for a good price.

Check my edit on my last comment, is that a more realistic sound ? The 2nd video sounds WAY better, pretty much the sound I was hoping for at a 6/10 volume, since I hate being obnoxiously loud. 

• Premium Member

Yoshi... also the baffle is quite long in length so you can trim/mod it to taste...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Just now, norcal616 said:

Yoshi... also the baffle is quite long in length so you can trim/mod it to taste...

Really dislike the yoshi's aesthetics, thank you anyway man.

It’s hard to tell in the videos, it depends a lot on how close the mic is to the exhaust outlet. The exhaust in the 2nd vid also has a big leak at the muffler join which has affected the sound.

I had very similar noise criteria to you when looking to replace the stock exhaust. Some Akra owners also fit the Akra MT09 baffle which makes it louder again than the 07 dB killer but quieter than open pipe.

I would suggest finding owners in your area (put up a request on this forum) with the exhaust you’re looking for and listen to it in person for yourself.

Just now, stickshift said:

It’s hard to tell in the videos, it depends a lot on how close the mic is to the exhaust outlet. The exhaust in the 2nd vid also has a big leak at the muffler join which has affected the sound.

I had very similar noise criteria to you when looking to replace the stock exhaust. Some Akra owners also fit the Akra MT09 baffle which makes it louder again than the 07 dB killer but quieter than open pipe.

I would suggest finding owners in your area (put up a request on this forum) with the exhaust you’re looking for and listen to it in person for yourself.

The guy commented on that, stating the he had just washed the bike and that's just water coming from the exhaust. 

That's a really nice advice actually. I'll see if I can find anyone with a DB-killer in the titanium (something harder to find than I thought, haha),  and hear it personally. The fact that we're looking for pretty much the same thing, I'm confident that I'll like the sound of it. Thanks for the info man !

• Premium Member

OK, I'll weigh in on the Arka-Ti, yet again.

I've been sporting the Arka-Ti on my FZ-07 for over a year now.
I hated the sewing machine sound of the stock exhaust. and the aesthetics and reported exhaust note of the Akra-Ti was what I was looking for and I pulled the trigger. I wasn't looking for the race ready rice rocket sound of the M4.

I installed the Akra-Ti without cat but I've never removed the DB killer.

From the start I LOVED the bassy growl of the Akra-Ti compared to the stock exhaust. It sounded like a real motor now. Initially it wasn't much louder than stock but over time as It's broken in. It's gotten more notable but never annoyingly loud.

I've listened to every online video I could find in my research and this one is the one I found that best represented the tone of the Akra-Ti  as I hear it on my bike.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

4 hours ago, DewMan said:

OK, I'll weigh in on the Arka-Ti, yet again.

I've been sporting the Arka-Ti on my FZ-07 for over a year now.
I hated the sewing machine sound of the stock exhaust. and the aesthetics and reported exhaust note of the Akra-Ti was what I was looking for and I pulled the trigger. I wasn't looking for the race ready rice rocket sound of the M4.

I installed the Akra-Ti without cat but I've never removed the DB killer.

From the start I LOVED the bassy growl of the Akra-Ti compared to the stock exhaust. It sounded like a real motor now. Initially it wasn't much louder than stock but over time as It's broken in. It's gotten more notable but never annoyingly loud.

I've listened to every online video I could find in my research and this one is the one I found that best represented the tone of the Akra-Ti  as I hear it on my bike.

Oh man, that seems like it's sitting on the perfect volume, I love it. Since he just installed the exhaust, I'm guessing this would get even better as it starts to be broken in. There's definitely a growl to it, thanks for sharing this. I think I'll actually pull the trigger on this instead, it seems perfect !