The MT-07 Forum

Flash Tune Kit vs Woolich Racing (UK)

backwheelben

backwheelben

So I jumped on the band wagon and got the flash tune kit for my MT07.. Done a ecu flash at home and it doesn't run very well. Yes I know the flash tune ECU images are only base maps for tuners blah blah blahh.. Also tried importing Power Commander files and they don't run any better! Getting a full dyno tune done in a week or so anyway so it shouldn't matter. But there is no option in the flash tune software to disable the 02 sensor, in order to unlock full tuning potential. I know you can buy the active tune kit and get the wideband sensor, but it's a joke spending another £300+ for an active tune kit just to get an optimal tune. Plus £350 for a full dyno tune.

My local tuner who is well known and respected (P3 Tuning) says Woolich Racing kits have the option to disable the 02 sensor so you dont have to worry about not being able to tune the closed loop aka ECO Mode. But I have already spent almost £400 on the flash tune kit. What do you think lads/ladies should I get the active tune kit to go with my Flash Tune kit or just scrap Flash Tune all together and get the Woolich Racing harness? Tough one really.

• Premium Member

No best solution as the small differences in better solutions offer 2hp gains approx ... 

PC maps are built off OEM settings as the PCV is a piggy back device... I tried the AutoTune route only to learn it's not smart enough understand "Deccel Injection" ... The reason the motor has the aggressive engine braking is because Yamaha has the "Decel Injection" OFF... This is 95% solution...

Mail in flash tunes are like 96% pretty good safe tunes in terms of power rather it be ECU, PCV, EJK

DIY self kits- can be Pandora's box..can be a 95-99% solution... Can be a breeze if one knows how to tune using that software, has the equipment (Dyno, AFR meters,etc) on hand or if you like to tinker around you can spend months trying different ideas using the ole butt Dyno if equipment is lacking..

Active Tune is like having your Dyno tuner ride with you 24/7 making sure your bike runs the same map settings(mail in or Dyno tune) every time no matter the temp/elevation/humidity- this is like the 99% solution

Woolich is a great tuning software and race kits ... I currently run a mail in ECU reflash with a race kit on my FJ-09 and dont see the need to chase the last 3%... I think Woolich is a better piece of software than FT...

Dyno Tune is basically the same as a mail in flash tune but slightly better as it was built off your bike but you still only achieve 96-97% as temp/elevation/etc all come into play

This is my summary of learning/ conversations/ observations of other forum members adventures and my personal experiences tuning...

• Like 2

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

backwheelben

Thanks for the reply, I think I'm gonna just scrap the flash tune kit and go for a full Woolich Racing setup!

topazsparrow

I've got FT Active tune and i'm a pretty big fan.

I tried running without it to diagnose an idle surge issue and yeah there's some serious lag on the bottom on when you go WOT on the unrestrected and stock base map + PC fueling.

Active tune is the best solution for me because I often ride with and without a baffle depending on my noise bylaw needs. Elevation changes also factor in as I live in a mountainous area and depending on how long my ride is and where I go, it can impact the performance of the bike.

Active tune is the next best thing to a proper Dyno tune. But the ignition table on the unrestricted map is playing with fire IMO. A GOOD tuner will get your ignition and fuel both dialed in where they should be. Active tune on top of that would be cake.

• Premium Member

Nowadays I would go the Active Tune route... I currently run a PCV on my FZ-07...

Rapid Bike (?) Is also another tuning kit that does pretty darn good

I choose Woolich for my FJ-09 at the time(3.5yrs ago) due to the price since the other offerings didn't have any extra bells/whistles for the same approx price... It was a fun project with 2WDW...

BTW- don't trash/destroy/ruin the QS... Last I checked(2yrs ago) they are made in Sweden and it was gonna cost me $175 for repair on sensor...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

I’ve had good results using a PCV with their relevant files to suit my exhaust, many others have too via flashing with FT ECU.

Silly question perhaps: did you update both your fuel & ignition maps when you tried the power commander files?

The PCV also utilises an ‘O2 optimizer’ which basically richens up the closed loop running for better feel and performance. I imagine you could buy this separately (from memory it’s a stand alone module).

backwheelben

Yeah I'm sure the Active Tune gives good results! Ive decided on Woolich Racing and a Custom Dyno Tune, mainly because the flash tune doesnt have the option to disable the 02 sensor. That is a big let down IMO! I didn't change anything in the Unrestricted Map, when I added in a Power Commander File. I also tried it with the Stock Map but it wasn't any better to be honest! I've been told that the power commander maps run better if you leave the Disable Inj Decel Cut as False, apparently.

I've got it booked in for a custom dyno tune at P3 Tuning in Liverpool for 8th July! They're gonna slap on a Woolich Racing Setup with Race Tools - Quickshifter, Launch Control etc... Cant f@#king wait!!!!!! 😍

• Like 1